ENEDED

If batteries have protection try with good batteries without protection
:wink:

What happens with cheap chinese batteries in High-Current applications can be seen multiple times if you search on youtube for “e-cig explodes”.
I don’t want to see a video with 4 exploding cheapo-18650s in a closed flashlight!

[quote=L4M4]

+1

+1

Most problems with new flashlights are caused by battery protection circuits
A good battery of good brand and good chemistry without protection circuit is the best choice

Yes!
I apologize
That little word make the difference, its absence can be catastrophic

[quote=L4M4]

Yeah, it’s always tempting to go cheap on the batts, after laying out a good bit of moola for a light. Which, is why BG spec’d high quality branded (Samsung), unprotected high-drain cells.

We had sometimes 4 Samsung 18650-30Q below 14$

High drain Batteries with a 10A PCB are likely Klarus or other brand and not cheap

Forgive me, I meant to say that it’s tempting when spending $70+ on a light to go with whatever is cheaper at the time of purchase. Which, currently on BG, the Samsung 30Q is $6 per cell and the Meco is $3.50 per cell. Personally, I purchased my MF-01, first. And, when I ordered my 30Qs a few days later, I ordered stateside ($6 each) to ensure that they would be here by the time the light arrived.

Even worse than waiting for your light to arrive is to wait for the cells to arrive even though the light itself has arrived already. Really, really no fun

On the plus side, though, my cells are charged and ready for when my MF-01 gets here
Saturday. :person_facepalming:

I’ll be chiming in with my immediate thoughts tomorrow when mine arrives. Getting my 30Qs prepped for the occasion.

Just took this monster out again to walk my dog, and I must say that I’m seriously impressed. The term ‘wall of light’ takes on a quite literal meaning when I see the spill starting right in front of my feet, and extending horizontally to the periphery of my vision. In light of this (no pun intended) I can probably forgive them for the uneven power distribution in low mode.

But can someone please help me with this:

I have almost zero knowledge of electronics, and I don’t want to set my home on fire. Is my analysis correct, and can I safely switch on the light with the probes of my DMM touching both connections of the battery carrier?

You probably don’t want to put those amps through your meter. I’d advise only testing current with a clamp styled meter and beefy wire. What is your meter rated at?

I’ve been warned about putting high AC currents through it, but didn’t realise that amperage might also be a problem. You’re probably right - it’s only a very cheap multimeter with the scale ranging from 200”A to 10A, so I’ll leave the testing to someone else.

I’m afraid your misunderstanding what’s going on here. Flying Luminosity was wanting to measure battery voltage, not amperage. You can’t measure the amperage anyway. If you use a clamp meter and beefy wire your creating a dead short. Don’t do that.

Instead, set your DMM to DC voltage. Then take the tail cap off. You might need 2 people. One person to hold the probes on the battery carrier end and the other pushes the battery carrier against the head of the light and pushes the power button.

With the light off and freshly charged cells you should see 8.4 volts. With the light on max you will see the voltage sag or drop down due to the heavy load. It might drop to 3.7 or 3.8 volts I guess.

Btw, this reading measures all 4 cells at once as a group. This is what the driver sees.

The vid has been taken down, after several commented suggested that the protected cells could be the issue. Odd that he would do that, instead of replying back. Kinda fishy, given that several were burned with the S42’s issues, the MT-18 QC problems, and the ensuing apprehensiveness of others. I could be wrong, but lack of response and removal of the vid makes it seem like it was staged to ‘fan the flames’.

Freeme, could you send me a code for this light, i decided to pull the trigger

Can't place your order now. Have to wait for another week or two.

Ahh, my bad. I’m so accustomed to single cell lights that thinking of the flow of electricity in the multi-cell ones disorients me. It still seems like a worrisome task.

Oh, i see
Look like i gonna order other light

For me, his high perfomance 2 bay battery charger (or perhaps powerbank) was suspicious that he has no good equipment. And the batteries aren’t good too.

Well, that first video of the fellow that had 6 of the 18 leds not turn on at the lowest level had a xp-g3 version of the light. So it doesn’t seem to be led type dependant.