EV charging

Yeah, the AC compressor ran off the gas engine just like a conventional unit.
Also the hot water for the heat was circulated by the water pump. No gas chuga chuga, no heat!
This would make itself known on long stoplights when it was really cold outside.

Test drove a modern Toyota hybrid van. The AC was working all the time as far as I could tell.
The salesman hadn’t a clue…
All the Best,
Jeff

The problem as I see it is that most “hybrids” have an only slightly smaller engine, yet the same electric guts to add a whopping 15hp or so, like, just to qualify as a nominal “hybrid” for a tax write-off or something.

I wondered why not have a mostly EV but with a much smaller gas engine. Whether a series-hybrid (engine just generates electricity to feed the motor and battery) or parallel hybrid (engine also can contribute to the drivetrain).

At least with a series hybrid, you could run off electricity until almost depleted and then use the gas engine to recharge, as a backup, and just run the engine at maximum efficiency (one speed). No need for messy mechanicals to blend motor output and engine output like in a parallel hybrid.

Priae use the parallel approach because the gas engine is small and efficient enough for highway cruising, but it’s still a bunch of mechanicals. At least small hubmotors and maybe even a bigger main motor with 2-3 gearings would let it run efficiently at highways speeds.

15 years ago when everyone was talking about EV, Toyota went with the hybrid model. Fast forward, turns out they were right.

Today, people are still talking about EV, and Toyota is focusing on hydrogen.

The battle is very far from over.

EV is still just an idea at this time.

Speaking of electric vehicles and Toyota...

There are a couple of nice Toyota EV's out right now, but I think they start at about $40,000

What I really want is a Toyota EV that starts at maybe $20,000 or $25,000

Y'know, something cheap and reliable like a "Corolla EV."

If that were to happen, I think Toyota would get a bigger market share in the EV game.

There are some used Tesla EV's that are affordable, but they're not as reliable as a Toyota.

The old first gen Ford Hybrid I had was about as peppy as the all gas model as I recall.
There is a RAV4 Prime that is major peppy. 302HP combined. 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds by Motor Trend. 5.9s claimed by Toyota.
PDQ for something like that.
But, naturally, ya’ can’t get one. And if there is one, they want more than sticker.
The Toyota Hybrid van I drove was a real dog. 0 to 60 in like a couple of days - downhill.
All the Best,
Jeff

1930…. About 2 billion worldwide

I “thought” I was interested in an EV until I saw this while researching; no thanks.

noev4me

Who can listen to that guy? That voice, and the gesticulations drive me crazy. He’s probably right, but I got about 60s in and couldn’t get any further.

Scotty? He’s a hoot!

Love the little insets when he laffs, like at 8:20 and 8:44.

’Though I gotta lean back away from the screen, else I’m afraid he’ll hit me when he gesticulates.

:laughing: With research like that small wonder. Hard to argue with a cogent definitive case against a Hybrid with an anecdotal sample of 1.

Truer words were never spoken!! It’s like comparing an Apple to a Grape. :wink:

Great video, Scotty K. is great!

We should all be forced to have a horse and cart so there is still work for people who grow horses.

The carbon footprint would be even worse.

There is no alternative to steam engines they are the only thing reliable enough. Well turns out the dinosaur steam engine can’t step up and do the job either. Although you can’t blame the machinery.

Road apple catcher.

!!

Dump contents into methane generator.
Use power to charge batteries.

Clearly the Grid will have to be expanded on severely, and the American tax payer are probably going to have to pitch in too.

Even we Danes, which have some grid due to many land based wind turbines, well we still need to expand big time.
And then our energy islands come online and 1000sands more offshore turbines, well if you send all that power to Denmark it will burst into fire.

BTW its 12 GW now i think.
Plenty to send a modified deloran to any time. :smiley:

I just got a new plug in hybrid, but with all the energy craziness going on it’s cheaper to drive on gasoline here now…

Oh well, trees, plants, & crops will flourish.

Wow that’s crazy, what car did you get?

Do you charge at home, or buy your electricity from a commercial charging vendor?

i can’t imagine that electricity costs more than gasoline, especially in Europe, but times are crazy for sure.

Most EVs can easily travel 4 miles on a kWh. i pay $1 to get 10 kWh at home, so i drive 40 miles for a buck on electrons.

If the internal combustion engine delivers 28 miles per gallon, and fuel cost is $4 to $7 per gallon, then you could drive 4 to 7 miles for a buck on gasoline.