EV charging

Recently I was shown this diagram: https://www.pge.com/pge_global/common/pdfs/rate-plans/how-rates-work/Residential-Rates-Plan-Pricing.pdf

For public charging stations in Germany I’ve seen 0.40 €/kWh and more, sometimes double.

I got the Peugeot 308 sw hybrid. Charging at home for me is more expensive now than driving on gasoline. Public poles still have fixed rates, but they will also raise their prices sooner or later.

back when the Prius was new…it was cheap.
i wanted one, but i needed more room.

now, any EV/hybrid available for me
to buy is waaaay too expensive.

with work-from-home, Amazon,
and other options, the price of gas
at the pump is not a top tier concern.

How many years does it take to be even with the increased cost of purchase price vs Gas power version (or similar size/gvwr) of same car?
And what is resale value of electric car once the batts are 5-6 years old again vs gas car of similar size/gvwr?

You are getting pretty good price on electric, here in PA it all went up by about 30% 2 months ago.
Thanks,
Keith

Please let me enlighten you on the crazy times in NL (no offence intended).

September 1st was the most recent I filled up the tank of my VW diesel.
I payed just under €88 for a bit over 11 gallon. Fuel cost €7,98/gallon.
On that fuel I could travel some 692 miles. Average fuel consumption 62,8 mpg.
For 1 EURO I could drive 7,87 miles.

I’m in the non-enviable position that my energy company adjusts prices every month.
The price of electricity as of September 1st is € 0,53093 per kWh
1 EURO will get me 1.88 kWh (times 4 is 7.53 miles)
And an EV is more expensive than an ICE

FYI September 1st I could buy $0.9952 for 1 EURO. Let’s call it a parity.

At the moment prices at the gas station are going down (slowly).
Utility prices are going up. My monthly advance is now twice that of last year.
I follow the suggestions of my energy company concerning the monthly advance.
I can’t pretend all is well and then get hit by the wrecking ball of the yearly energy bill.

Thanks Henk, No offense taken. i appreciate that you took the time to illustrate the energy costs. The mileage of your diesel is quite impressive.

i’m lucky to be on the grid in the TVA, the Tennessee Valley Authority, which was formed to build a network of hydroelectric dams to supply electricity down here in the heart of dixie and the southeast US. One side benefit is Deals Gap an awesome twisty road (318 curves in 11 miles) US 129 thru the mountains that was put in just to build the Fontana dam. The road is a favorite of riders, tossers, and cagers alike with lots of videos on the utub.

don’t forget2wipe

Breaking news :cry: :cry: :person_facepalming:
This morning I got an email from my energy company. Per October 1st my monthly advance will increase 49%

Does that mean you pay 49% of your last bill in advance?

Generally, the energy companies in NL get their income like this:

Each month you get an invoice for an advance of roughly 1/11th of the previous yearly energy bill. The amount may be adjusted for expected mutations in usage or fuel prices. If all expectations are coming true, the yearly energy bill (minus the 11 advance payments) is a small amount to be payed, or a small refund.
This year energy prices are skyrocketing, so the energy company not only almost monthly changes the tariffs, but also the advances. Just to mitigate the impact of the blow of the 12th month, the yearly energy bill.
So my advance of October 2022 is 149% the advance of September 2022, and 265% the advance of January 2022.

It is the same system for power and heating payment in Denmark, this monthly payment for power and heating are usually part of the rent you pay, and then in the end of the year you pay the difference or get back if you have use less than estimated.
I have yet to see a notification of price rise though.

The smart people ( the ones people vote for in elections ) have a lot of ideas, for instance to cut peak hour loads, maybe do washing at night.
My problem is the washing machines in the basement here close at 8 in the evening, and i think it open at 8 in the morning, so NOT possible to wash at night when most often power prices are the lowest here ( especially on windy days )
And BTW those machines are already very expensive charging 3 X the power they use, unless it is a 6000 watt washing machine and ditto dryer.

The new fix here, again from the smart people, is for the state to step in, and loan money to people to pay their extremely high bills, and then they can pay those loans in 5 years.
BTW this is the same state incapable of collecting debt to it, and which have lately talked about writing off debt to the public to the tune of 200 billion DKkr ( The GDP of Denmark is about 1000 billion DKKr as i recall )
Personally i think debt is a matter of honor, so i always pay what i owe.

And mind you it is the same people that are to blame for the situation we are in now, cuz it do not take a whizz kid to figure out that what Putin have done now have been a clear and present risk ever since he took charge over there, and only IDIOTS would make themself dependent on a person like that.

So if you look past Putin, there are only 1 place to put blame for our current situation, and that is the idiots we vote for, i have not voted much lately as there are no one for me to vote for as i am done choosing in between plague and mutated Ebola.

Funny thing though, we Danes have all the gas we need in the north sea, but just now they think is the time to take it offline to maintain and repair, i can only assume they take lessons from Putin, it is social democrats AKA house broken communists in charge here ATM.

Unbelievable what is going on everywhere.
After working in power generation I refuse to feed lazy turds who do nothing and stick the knife into anyone who might want to change that. They are so useless they couldn’t even stack sand bags on a pallet. One of the smarter people there suggested that everyone who had solar panels had been ripped off. They couldn’t work because none had steam pipes connected. I just thought this bloke is joking but more than likely he just the typical halfwit.
My new house is a bit of a learning curve. With the solar panels, 12kwh battery(another 9kwh in transit from China) and 20kva 3phase silenced genset I don’t need or want their power. They have been harassing me to get an account but they are not aware yet that I have disconnected from the mains. It will be interesting to see happens when they find out.
I am lucky to be in the position to be able to build my own power system.

Us too.

YIKES! At todays exchange rate the euro is about par with a US$, so that is about US$0.55 per kWh. If we were presently buying our electrical energy from the grid my calculations indicate we would be paying US_0.156 per kWh and that includes taxes, meter fees, etc.

Many Americans have no idea how great a cost deal they have on energy.

Henk4U2, thay payment system is similar to an option many power companies offer here. We call it budget billing. The power company looks at the history and estimates what the years costs will be. Then you pay about 1/12 that every month. The local poco resets every August, but may adjust the amount as circumstances warrant. The customer can elect to pay each month to the exact amount used, so here winter is lower than summer unless one has electric heat.

Is that an imperial gallon or a US gallon??

It’s the one on the backside of my HP-11C, that says 1 gal = 3.785411784 liter.

That one is still missing in my collection… Greetings from another RPN lover.

US gallon then

Are there even any petrol stations that use imperial gallons? i thought they were all selling by the litre, or gallons (in the US)

Imperial gallon is a UK measurement, but for petrol they use litres.

@oli, what was the point of your question anyway?