Everything Sofirn

I am in love with the Sofirn lights. On another forum, a member suggested them when I said I wanted specific 18650 Lights. They seem to be the perfect light to me. Can you tell me the good and the bad for the lights? I REALLY want to get a number of the lights and with the approval of the local pool, do some extreme waterproof testing. It only goes down to about 20’, but I want to test them all. Does anyone know how well they work underwater? I keep seeing info about their waterproofness being way up there. Their diving light seems to go down 100 meters which is amazing. I want to test that so much but the price isn’t in my budget currently. Sofirn is the start of my obsession with flashlights and I hope to own all of their lights. So please tell me the good and the bad of the lights they sell. As well as any waterproof info you have.

First, welcome to BLF! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Second, we have dozens of active members, several of which might be able to tell you their experience with Sofirn. But, it’s not (YET) one of the major brands around here. So, the collective info about them on this site might be a bit sparse actually compared to other brands. We do have several threads dealing with specific models of Sofirn brand lights, including some reviews. You can use the search box at the top left of the screen to find them.

I recently acquired a Sofirn SF36W for review, and will be posting that review soon. I haven’t tested for water-proofing, but the listing on Amazon where I bought the light claims IPX8 rating. Maybe now that all my other testing of the light is complete, I might be brave enough to try dipping it in some water for a test. It isn’t a dive light, but it has an o-ring at each junction of the tube. It should be able to withstand a dunk in my bathtub I guess.

Yea I’ve started searching them through the search function, seems a Tracy Wan is knowledgeable about them. I keep seeing him pop up in the threads. While I am interested in some of the EDC lights, I really want to just dunk most of them in water to see how waterproof they are. If I can start buying the lights (1 a month) I’ll be enjoying the brightness and then dipping it in a 20’ pool to test the depth that they go out or time spent under water till they go out. It’ll either make it or break it.

So, why are you interested in their water-proofing? Are you a diver? Or you just have a lot of water sources around, and want to be sure any flashlight you own can handle being dropped into them? Or, you’ve got a kid that likes to throw EVERYTHING into the pool? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: By the way, Tracy Wan is a REP for Sofirn. I would hope the rep would be knowledgeable. :wink:

Definitely stay away from any USB rechargeable lights. They will Fail that test.
Second to fail will be the side switch lights.
Lights with tail clicky switch only will be your best contenders.

Don’t forget to have a look at ThorFire lights. A number of Sofirn lights are TF that have been rebranded…
An welcome to BLF

Well I do a lot of camping in the winter and kayak trips. I’d like it to work after a night in the snow and rain or if I drop it in the river while kayaking. Would be nice to come back to carefully search for the light and find it again. Fishing too. If I dropped it, it’d be nice to go after it and be guided by the light.

I also like throwing lights in water cause it looks cool. I’m looking at their aliexpress site, there’s a few lights I really want to test looking at them.

And mind: the flashlight world is bigger than just Sofirn! :wink:

Welcome to BLF where there’s always a new neccessary flashlight on the horizon. !

That’s what I’m afraid of.

This Thorfire has been 90ft under water on Lake Charlevoix, and spent 24 hours at around 10 to 15 ft under water before. Sofirn sells the exact same light.

That alien like glow is the reason I like throwing lights in water.

The lights I’m interested in trying from Sofirn is the SD03, MS14, MS11, SF34, SD01, SD02 and SD02A, MS1, SF22, C19, SF01A, SP32 and SP32A , SP10B and SP10A, 502B, SF14, SF12, SF32, XPE Q5, SP31, SF36, SP35, SP33, SF36W, SF30A, SP30A, C8A and C8.

And before you ask, yes, I did just check all their flashlights and mention all the lights I want to use and throw in the water.

I’m looking forward to the video! :smiley: (they are all going in simultanuously, right?)

Welcome to the forum :laughing:

Just need the lights and the pools permission.

I was able to measure up to 102.4Kcd out of a Sofirn C8T. From my own review, they sent me a sample: Sofirn C8T premier review/test - Like!

It also passed my underwater ability wash tub test.

Cheers ^:)

Yeah, but did it pass the Hong Dong charger test?

So I got permission from the pool to test the lights in them. So now I just need the lights to put underwater and I’ll do it the moment I get them and the pools open. This will most likely be a slow process because as mentioned in another post, I can only get a light a month.

Ummm, that would be the Authentic Hong Dong charger test.

(Not to be confused with the Cheap Knock-Off Hong Dong charger test.)

I forgot to do the bathtub test with my Sofirn SF36W last night. Maybe tonight I’ll remember. :person_facepalming: If so, I’ll let you know how it goes!