Excel XL830L Digital Multimeter $5.99 @Tmart (ended)

They do make test probes that the banana plugs plug right in the back. Mueller - BU-26101-2 - Probe Test 0.08 in. Stainless Steel 20 Red 4 mm Banana Plug IEC Approved - RS
You might be able to find some budget probes that work the same way.
Then you could use the banana plugs directly for measuring high current or the probes added on for voltage or low currents.

Found these, but shipping is a little high. Then found these on Ebay. Might be too junky, might order and check them out.

EDIT - Found a US Seller for the Ebay ones.

-Garry

What a GREAT idea. Even better because all those Harbor Freight meters are actually “830” meters. Many times they are free with coupon. No one should give it a second thought to dedicate 1 of these in that way.
I took the back off of 3 of my HF meters, each acquired at different times over the years. Even though there are slight differences in the circuit boards, they all have “830B” printed on the circuit board some where.

I have plentu of 14-12 gauge weire from when I used to compete in car audio a couple of years ago I’ll try that thanks moderator 007!

EDIT: thanks

tried some 12 gauge speaker wire , BIG difference my lightmalls at tail waa pushing 3.06 amps my kdc8 was pushing 2.45 on high anx my attetempted modded c12 was 0

You can use mains cable if you don’t have anything else to hand. I even used bell wire and a couple of screws. Internal resistance of the 830D is only ~0.03 ohms.

I’m sure HKJ posted a link to some test probes that had 4mm banana socket so you can just plug the banana plugs in instead of switching sets of leads, but I can’t find the thread. ;_;

$7.01 seems to be the price on Amazon now

This link could change in price by the time you read it, you know how that goes

It’s 4.12 GBP from Amazon UK (seller safe2buy2000):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testing-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Multi-Meter-MultiTester/dp/B008U96UQQ/

I was also going to get Mastech from DX, in the end I bought a DMM of equal quality to a Fluke from an electronic shop locally yesterday , anyhow the reason for my post is to say that I measured all my lights with 2.8A Nanjg drivers and they all were around 2.7A , so your meter appears accurate.

Hm, has anyone received his order yet?

I ordered 27 August and they shipped it on the 28th. Still nothing here and I cannot track the order.

I haven’t received mine neither. I guess a lot of orders have been delayed lately by the postal services since i’ve been waiting longer than usual for several orders from various sellers

About 14 days I've been extremely busy last couple of weeks so I apologize for responding so late .

I got mine as well, 3-4 weeks ago I think.

About 3 weeks ago and moderator 007 helped me figure out how to get tail current readings using copper speaker wire.

Got this mail now

$7.01 here and Amazon vendors seem to be very fast. Probably because Amazon rules with an iron fist. Recently. I have ordered a number of different items from multiple vendors on Amazon and they have all been quick. Quick like in 10 days or less.

Unless TMart ships from the US, they are slow as anybody.
I am not as happy with FastTech as I was, speed and quality issues.

Mine still hasn't arrived. No email message like above either. Filed PP dispute a bit ago.