Exploding capacitors in flashlights

This is the second AAA flashlight I’ve had a capacitor pop in.
At times I like to keep a small light attached to my lapel or collar under my right ear .
Last night with the light off I got my bell rung . Like a lady finger going off a foot from my ear . Loud enough to make you wonder if you have hurt your hearing for good .
This is the second light to have done this the last time it was a neutral finished AAA sofirn 2 mode sst20 4k light …sc01?

Last night was an old $1 ebay mxdl one mode modded with a high cri nichia 5 mm
The mxdl still works and the Sofin is dead .

Has this happened to any of your lights ? maybe not exploding in your ear …have you heard cheap caps in lights going off in your collections ?

Are you sure it was a capacitor? I’ve never seen a ceramic capacitor explode (although it can heat up and burn, which makes it expand and crack).

1 Thank

No I’m not sure …I made an assumption based on what little is in a single mode AAA 5 mm nichia light . What else could make a firecracker sound ? the alkaline battery was fine .

Could be a tantalum capacitor, it’s surprising how often I see them in flashlight drivers.

3 Thanks

Maybe you have like super energy :slight_smile:

Had a AAA Duracell go bang like that just sitting in a ceramic bowl one time. There were 2 there, it’s mate was same age and fine.
It was on a shelf under a wooden bar.
Heard the pop like a 22 short and had no idea what it was, found the battery with the bottom just pushed off to the side some weeks later and then knew what it was. Battery was a few years old.
Never had it happen before of since, had plenty leak.
Strange.

Ya there’s almost always one on a sofirn or wurkkos driver. I wonder why. It’s always just a single one.

Didn’t know they could explode :hushed:

Would they really be that loud though? Idk

Odd. In one of my calipers, I had a 386 or whatever button-cell was in it (the cheap as dirt ones that everyone and his grandmother uses) start to swell that the back part of the case with all the etched writing, was starting to bulge.

Wellp, I kept the plastic+cardboard that the calipers came in, and would always remove the cell and put it back into the bubble in the plastic where it was originally.

One night I was here in the living-room, and heard a loud pop as if a firecracker went off. Then the sound of something falling to the ground seconds later.

Scared the shiite out of me because I had no idea what could go with such explosive force, and if there was another one/more to follow.

Nope, was all quiet

At some point, I kinda figured what it was, put 2’n’2 together about the bulging battery, and sure enough, when I looked at the calipers, there was a hole blown through the clear plastic, the silver shell (+) from the button-cell looked like a gigantic spent percussion-cap, the brassy part (-) was blown out somewhere, and yeah, I did eventually find it on the floor a few days later.

Damnedest thing I ever saw.

In your case, I would’ve gone right to the alkaleak popping, but if you say it’s fine, dunno. Did you actually see the part that blew?

I have explossion of duracell 3LR12 4.5 volts battery inside of my emergency Velamp flashlight which was on night table and unused a few months.
It was a lound bang and when I went in that room I see that flashlight was on floor dissasembled in two parts and battery was on table without upper cup and smoke coming from inside it.
When I take it in hand it was warm and I see that one of three cells had exploded. On the wall I see big brown circle of explosed particles of electrolite.
I have never buy duracell 3LR12 again but not because of explosion but for that it is very pricey and in many case leak a lot.
Velamp flashlight survive this and I convert it on 3xNiMH batteries and use it a lot :slight_smile:

I can’t see any good reason, like there is a 47uF one on the TS10 driver on the MCU VCC, there is really no need for that, there is already a lowpass filter beforehand and then a probably 100nF decoupling cap which is the standard on FET driver an is ample enough.
Tantalum caps are costly, have non negligible leakage current (increased parasitic drain), and I believe it’s a conflict mineral.

they’re infamous for their explodey failure mode yes

It did it again …

Not as loud and still works.
Only two wildcards … the Preon clip and the 5mm 3500 K Nichia …. Or the capacitor. Aren’t they only supposed to pop once ?
Either way it’s never going back on my collar again .

I don’t see anything exploded there, but the photo is very blurry.

After the second time it popped I realized that the silicone cover over the tail clicky was gone . So obviously it was a venting AAA alkaline the capacitor looks fine I also removed the preon clip from the equation .

I was just gonna say the positive terminal on that AAA looks rounder than I’d think it should be. Like it was pushed out by pressure

I’m a budget kinda guy so … it’s still in the light :slight_smile:
Clearly, I have no fear from a little AAA
Maybe I’ll grab my fluke and check voltage .

Ya, AAA alkaline, what’s the worst that could happen.

I saw a video where a guy drove a nail straight through a Duracell, left it in there, and 10 minutes later the battery had reached like 60°C… and that was it.

You are an Eagle eye … there is a lil bulge on the top . It became more obvious when sitting side by side with a new alkaline . It was at about 1 volt when I started tearing it down . About 15 seconds later it just hit the trash can .
Nothing to see here .
New 1.5v AAA in it … no clip , now we wait and see if it was the clip or my bad one wire soldering job . .

Note to self :
Have Bob McBob mod future $1 lights