Fail

Well, I bought what was available within the US and ended up with four PANASONIC CGR18650CH for $33. They are IMR 10A batteries, so they should work for the testing. Now all I need are 9 Sony SE US26650VT for this winter's montser build.Sealed

Only 2000mAh, suited for maybe 30 amps currents and unprotected are basically the opposite of what I would use in this light.

Lets say he should get the 16,7amps. Which is not unlikely with some decent cells and if driver circuits and wires are up to the job. That is less than 4,2amp drain from each of the four cells.

Protected NCR18650B can do 4,2A without issues (as long as vf isnt too high, which I don't think it is, these are 1st gen XM-Ls and the emitters will see less than 2,4A each).You would also get some decent runtime (up towards 70% more, which can be needed). On top of that a protection circuit! Which I would prefer in case some wire in the wrong place decides to say goodbye and short circuit onto some other place in the light.. I would not like to have cells that combined could do 100+ amps if that happens..

Is it likely? No, but better safe than sorry..

Nope, my eyes aren’t shot …

When asked how he liked retirement my Dad would always say “It has potential”. I love to watch your work Mr. O-L.

I was half thinking about writing you a short eulogy having enjoyed reading your posts since I joined this forum a few months ago. I guess that’s on the back burner now! :slight_smile:

Those Sony cells aren’t all that. Mostly they’re old cells with low capacity and very short run times over 10 Amps. Might want to ask Santa for a different cell…

Sony SE US26650 VT

Say’s Tom E “Really hard to beat the KK ICR 4000 or 4200 for performance and capacity - ”

Wow! I’m excited to see the results! Nice work with the heatsink Justin!!

Wow! It looks like somewhere along the line you’ll have all the amperage flowing through that ground wire. Do you think it might need some backup? I have a 7-up host sitting on a shelf but it will Probanly get a Taskled Hall switch(15A) for ~$10 or a reed switch for Master mcu. Still haven’t decided on battery configuration yet. The stock set up was 10 D-cells. That handle might accommodate a high power slide switch.

You did a good job there. I would love to see its beam shots.

this one will be interesting. looking forward to hearing the results and the price when it goes up for sale…heheh

Yes, I will have to back that wire up and also I will have to change out the + wire on the master too.

Well, it’s just a build that I had started before the “I’m not planning on much modding” thread and I wanted to finish it up. I’m still not planning on modding much at all this fall/winter and if I didn’t have the parts here, I would have left it sit.

I have come out of years of lurking to say ‘holy sh*t’.

Your gonna need to wire this monster with jump leads.

This light looks so good, but has so many shortcomings.

I would love to see this pan out and be a monster! :party:

Please elaborate.

More photos in the OP.

Maybe shortcomings in the stock model?

OL can fix any shortcomings this stock light might have been suffering. All that is left when he finishes is the shell!

Dan.

That should be one whopping light!!! I like the heat sink! I like it ALL!!! The work, craftsmanship and thought you put into these lights is incredible! Can't wait for the beam shots.

SO.... if you just had a lot of parts laying around all the time........ you simply couldn't resist using them and doing mod lights... right?? Hmmmmm.... interesting..... In todays world... that could happen!! Things do just fall out of the sky into mail boxes! Honest!! For Real!!

Dan.

Dan’s right, just ask Sully! :slight_smile: I do love watching a light being gutted by O-L, if for nothing more than the satisfaction of seeing what is next…