Fake SRK, I was cheated... but, can this be salvaged with some mods?

Purchased what was supposed to be a genuine, authentic SKYRAY King… turns out it is a fake. So the question is, with some modding and a bit of judicious expenditure of green printed bills… is it possible to use this flashlight to make something decent? Or is it a complete lost cause?

Flashlight Body:

Pitiful, terrible, awful driver:

Macro of LED emitters, no idea what, or who made these:

Sorry about the potato quality pictures - these were taken with a phone.

EDIT: edited to shrink the massive 20MP images down

Yeah, looks like LatticeBright clone emitters.

Sorry, never got into he SRKs but I’m sure someone will be around who has.

Sucks to order one thing and receive something else, sorry.

I put this up against my old EagleTac D25LC2 and it is only slightly brighter, maybe about 1100-1200lm vs the 980lm OTF of the EagleTac. I was VERY disappointed.

Yep, a bad clone of the original SRK, ( with crappy driver & horrible Latticebright fake XM-L emitters. its easier to win the lottery these days than it is to get an original SRK with the beefy 3-Torrid driver. (i bought one over 4 years ago when thy first were introduced, still powerful light.

Is there anything that can be done with this light, or should I just bin it?

You could do a resistor mod to increase output, (and a emitter re-flow swap to better XM-L2s for better tint and output) but you may need to custom add some copper under the emitter plate (star) to increase the heat dissipation. it can be modded to increase output & tint, bur would take some work.

Does it have a proper shelf that the LED board sits on? You can make it into a monster light for not to much money.

Texas Avenger has heaps of parts that will fit for sale i think he made shelf’s and driver that will fit straight inside.

If you want to go cheap resistor mod the driver if you can and De-dome the LEDs to get a better tint. Actually do this any way seeing as its free maybe you will like the light better after this.

Of course, even without changing emitters, which aren’t a total loss, you can up the current some but the real issue is the hollow with a lip instead of a solid shelf. Fitting a slug in there takes care of that biggest issue then you can get a better driver from RMM. Even the stock mcpcb/LB combo would do ok with those improvements. Personally, I think the best choice for clones is the triple since 20mm copper stars can be used then, or a quad with 16mm copper stars but to use either you need to start with a solid shelf on which to put them. Reflectors are available, so are LEDs, drivers, and a slug is both a fairly simple and common mod. So the answer is yes, proper application of legal tender can give you a great light, if your willing.

There is a fet placing on PCB, you can add, mod the current res, change the emitter

When you load pics use the sunset icon, paste the link and put 100 or less in the width box. This keeps the rest of the thread from shrinking to accommodate the over sized images.

Whatever you decide to do with it, I suggest checking out the BLF Q8 SRK and get on the list, that would be the best step towards getting a supremely good SRK at a price that cannot be beat.

Here are some shots of the interior:

Yea mate there is no shelf for the LED to sit on. You will lose performance because of this. Moding it isn’t really worth while unless you fill that gap? The idea is to make a shelf for the LED to sit on either out of alloy or copper. Aluminum would be easiest and cheapest option.

Its not really hard just time consuming say if that cap is 5cm in width you get a bigger piece of alloy and shape it to fit inside. I got 30 by 30mm aluminum flat bar and shaped it into round 25mm pieces.

You can mod the light without doing this but the performance will suffer because there is no for the heat to go.

+1,

and the SkyRay King went out of production a couple of years ago.

Is that not the shelf above the driver board?

Thank you for this, I wish that I had seen this earlier.

Already on that list as of two days ago I think. Looking forward to that. I am guessing that this light is more or less useless… I messaged PayPal, and uploaded pictures to them. Going to try to get my money back.

That is the reflector that can help dissipate heat a little. The shelf sits under the LED board and is usually is not removable.

The original SRK had a ‘shelf’ that was threaded into the body, & the LED board sat on top of it. The shelf was omitted in later versions, & now the body does not even have the internal threads where the shelf would have screwed into.

As mentioned above, the light is still a good candidate for modding into a small monster, if you have the inclination. Plenty of people here to help, & some good SRK mods posted here if you search the forum.

I have a similar srk clone I’m working on… Well will be once I find the mountain electronics driver I misplaced.

I bought copper heatsinks for computer graphics cards and am going to glue them with thermal epoxy to the emitter plate directly under the LEDs. The 5 heat sinks weigh more than my x6 spacer so I think I can get some good performance.

May try my first reflow… We will see how adventurous I get.