FastTech Convoy S3 (EDC 18650 in Disguise) Thoughts?

At 2.8A you’d probably get close to 800 Lumens, before heat kicks in and the battery depletes. The F12 will perform better than the S3 for 2 reasons, it has an AR coated lense and it has in integrated pill for superior heat transfer. I’d recommend 2.8A as a manual turbo, unless you’re cycling I wouldn’t keep it on high for more than 5 minutes. 50% medium is still a good high mode for this form factor, so it works out well.

I might suggest getting the F12 in black as I understand it is HA3 whereas the brown isn’t. The black version may also be an updated version, from other posts the original F12’s didn’t have AR lenses and had battery fitting issues, I’m wondering if the brown colored ones are the originals, just a guess. Mine (in black) fits a panasonic protected 3400, which is a large battery. Tint wise neutral white isn’t so harsh on the eyes, I prefer 3C over 5C as 5C is perhaps a little too warm, but everyone’s different.

The S3 is still a nice host and has a nicer beam profile without the SS artifacts, and is floodier.

S3 - huge smooth beam, love it
S3 - takes any battery, fat, long, short, button or not
S3 - the manual turbo philosophy with 2.8 driver is nice

F12 - much more tactile switch
F12 - better knurling, but rough on pockets
F12 - lower low mode

S3’s beam makes it truly different from any other light I have

thanks guys….but i’m very undecided :~
I have 18650 Eagletac battery 2400 and 3100mah, they can fit on F12?
I like design of F12, but now i’m curious about this nice beam profile of the S3!…i want also a good spill without rings, but it is too flood? it throws to how many meters?….i would like to about 30 meters at least
But both gets close to 800 lumens or only the F12?
Thank you again and sorry for my many questions :wink:

The Roche F12 comes with the same driver options as the S3 such as the 2.8A driver, and also comes in a 4C tint which is nice. My version from fasttech(Black) doesn’t seem to have battery fitting issues as it’s being used with a panasonic 3400 protected cell

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10002855/1309304-roche-f12-cree-xm-l-t6-4c-886-lumen-2-group-35-mod

Update: length of the panasonic 3400 protected battery is a problem after all as I’ve noticed the positive button has slightly caved in on one side, although this battery is supposed to be longer than your average protected battery. Inner tube diameter appears to my eye to be the same as the S3, although I don’t have digital calipers to confirm.

Now on fasttech there is also Convoy S6!….which i have to choose?!? :~ …more and more confused
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1319307-convoy-s6-cree-xm-l-t6-4c-886-lumen-4300-4500k-2-g

Have an S3 & F12 currently. Would tend to agree with comments here. Both are pretty well built, but the Roche a tad nicer overall. But length of protected cells can be an issue. Haven’t had any issue fitting cells in my S3.

IMO both/either the S3 and F12 are nicer than the S6 you posted. I am a sucker for stainless bezels and colored finishes though… Also, pretty sure the S6 can NOT tailstand, if that matters to you.

Hard for me to compare beams between my S3 and F12 because mine have different emitters & power levels. Apples / oranges….

My S3 is a cool XP-G2. It’s pretty throwy [for its size] because of the emitter, but floody at the same time because of reflector size/shape. Kind of a strange mixture, but I like it. By the way, it is for sale HERE.
:slight_smile:

The F12, on the other hand, is a warm XM-L running 3*AMC7135 —- low current for XM-L. F12 beam is quite floody because of the emitter, and power is low for an XM-L, so it doesn’t throw like some others running 2.8A reported here. (This was intentional.)

If battery fitment is a concern, go with the S3. That said, the Roche is very VERY nice. I recommend you try one too. :slight_smile: Fun spending others money. :slight_smile:

Haterade.
I’m thinking about putting an XP-G2 in an S3. What driver are you using? Can you think of anything that could be improved?

Didn’t build it, but according to IO it’s a Nanjg 101-AK-A1 (4*7135) circuit board for the XP-G2 version, Current 1.4A

Works pretty good IMHO. (Have to admit I have used this light very little though. Nothing wrong with it, but have been buying too much other stuff.) I don’t see much reason to try to drive an XPG2 harder in this sort of host.

Hope that helps.

Is the reflector an XP-G reflector, or an XM-L reflector with an XP-G in it?

Believe it may be an XML reflector, check this shot (taken from page linked above)

Thanks. That’s what I wanted to know.

No prob. Despite my smartass tendencies, I am happy to help. :slight_smile:

The reflector is made for XM-L. Centering a XP-G ist possible, but it is a pain in mine. Another thing i noticed is that is is NOT waterproof. I use mine as a bikelight and after a rainy ride the glass was foggy. Further testing in the bathroom revealed similar results. Has anyone ideas to make the front more resistant against water? i really like mine, but it has to work in rainy conditions.

I noted the seal issue when assembling mine. 2 O-rings are required; one between glass and bezel, and the other between bezel and body. Only one is provided.

Edit: oops, just remembered mine is the EDC from Intl-outdoor. Same body, but may have both O-rings provided in yours……

I did not use this light enough to notice any issues with being waterproof.

WOW, this small flashlights are around 700-800 ANSI lumens for real? holy!!!

I must get one! must! some ideas for better cooling mods and which model will cope with heat best? M2 vs S2 vs S3? i want 2.8A driver.

Thanks.

I have all three of those, and the best for heat management would be the M2. It’s physically the largest, though not by much, and is built superbly. It also has the best beam pattern, with a good balance of throw and flood.

The S3 is the most portable, and very floody. The S2 falls in between. If I could have only one, it would be the M2 - an all around excellent light and tremendous value for the asking price. (And yes, I buy my own, so I’m not shilling for anybody… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks i guess M2 it is, if i dont find something better in a meantime which i highly doubt lol!

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the boot cover or where I can find a replacement black one?

Simon from Ali has them. I may too. If I do I can send you one....much faster from Orlando vs China :)