FastTech Convoy S3 (EDC 18650 in Disguise) Thoughts?

Garry,
I asked them and they answered. See http://www.fasttech.com/forums/-/t/1000237/page/last
You and others might want to add comments there if you would like to see different configurations.

Beg fasttech for 3C tint. I already did and they will think about it.

+ 4C

+1

How you going call a light an “EDC” and not include a clip? What is wrong with these people? Anyone that thinks a lanyard is a viable alternative to a clip is a raving lunatic. What you going to do, walk around all day with your flash light attached to your wrist?

I thought EDC was Every Day Carry, not Every Day Clip :D

Regarding a deep pocket carry clip check this thread for an alternative solution:

No, my edc is clipped to a lanyard that’s clipped to my pants, I don’t do pocket clips at all.

No, my edc is clipped to a lanyard that’s clipped to my pants, I don’t do pocket clips at all.

I just throw it in my jacket pocket or my laptop bag. My knife, yes, that is carried with a pocket clip. Gun with a good IWB holster. Having something clipped into the pocket makes it hard for me to use the pocket for anything else. I either need smaller hands or bigger pockets, I guess.

Does anybody have an idea how the low mode will be across the 3 different currents available?

I want a pretty low low. Is the 2.8A version going to have 3 times the current on low as the 1A version?

That driver should have low set to 5% (5 or 10, but I think it's 5). So 5% of 2.8A is 140mA. It's not a "moonlight" low if that's what you're looking for.

EDIT-Each one of those drivers will have low set to 5% of the high value, so yes, 3x higher.

-Garry

Gotcha, so the higher current ones have higher current in all modes. That’s what I suspected.

It is a pretty high low (if you see what I mean at 2.8a) as Gary says its percentage of high - higher high = higher low. I would really really really go with the 2.1 ish amp driver in this host with an xm-l, the heat on high at 2.8a makes it a literal on-off light on high, you won’t be walking the dog for an hour on high that’s for sure. It all depends in your usage I suppose.

Yeah I have a UF C6, close to the same size, and on high it pulls over 2.2A (high as the lead on my mm can read). Gets burning hot after a few minutes.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10001837/1133700-ultrafire-jp-006-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-345-lumen-led

BLF for 5% off.

I just tried three types of batteries in my intl-outdoor EDC light, which says Convoy S3 on it.

1. Intl-Outdoor Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mah Protected Battery
  2. Xtar 18700 2600mah Protected Battery
  3. Fasttech’s Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Rechargeable 3400mAh 18650 Lithium Batteries

All three types of batteries fit comfortably and work well.

Well, I have a ‘Convoy’ marked one coming from Fasttech right now - it’ll be interesting to see if they’ve changed something internally. Maybe different springs? This one ‘snugs up’ about three threads short of fully screwed down, with the protected 18650Bs. Before you put the cap on, it protrudes from the tube about 3/16 to 1/4”.
These batteries measure 69.9 mm.

Oh, in that case, I may need to redefine what I mean by “comfortably fit” :slight_smile: My tall batteries also stick out slightly from the barrel — probably about 3/16” like you mentioned. But I checked again, when completely screwed down, there are no exposed threads and it doesn’t feel like I’m using a whole lot of force to screw in.

You may be right about the springs. Perhaps my springs are a little less rigid than yours. I bought one more of the same Convoy S3 EDCs from intl-outdoor and sent it to my dad. It was similar to the one I have wrt battery fit.

Do you know diameter of driver and lens? Thanks.

I want to buy this flashlight but I dont know diameter of driver. I want one mode driver, something like this . I doubt about constant regulation in this case.

Original lens is 20.4mm but 20mm AR coated lens works fine too.