FastTech Convoy S3 (EDC 18650 in Disguise) Thoughts?

Thanks a lot. I do like the whiter beam, and also CHEAP. :wink:
Jerry

Since the EDC 18650 is now more popularly known as a Convoy S3 at the moment figured iā€™d add a pic to this thread of my pocket clip.

Sourced from a Fenix TK12, but can be found on other Fenix CR123/18650 lights as well. Fits but is a ā€œlittleā€ loose so adding a o-ring in to the tailcap will keep it from moving backwards off the light when inserting into your pocket.

I will be getting some clips thenā€¦ā€¦ You should be able to bend the rounded part a bit so it fits better ?
Thanks for the postā€¦.

Possibly but didnā€™t want to risk breaking the clip either.

On my flashlights that come with snap on clips that I have decided I want to stay on the light, I apply Loktite or silicone to the backside. This keeps them nice and secure, and they donā€™t shift around on the tube.

Questions. Do these have mode memory? I do like to be able to start out on the mode I last had it on before I turned it off.

Iā€™m pretty sure they come with NANJG drivers that have last mode memory.

Ouchyfoot, Iā€™d definitely recommend this light with a 2.8A driver, why? Medium is at a high 50%, and at 1.4A for this form factor this is still quite a decent high mode, at 2.8A with a bit of airflow the light seems to handle the heat well, you could consider it a manual turbo. I just got the Roche F12 at 1.75A, and much prefer the light output and options of the S3. Iā€™ll list what the F12 has over the S3:

Better finish
Better build quality, outstanding really considering the price
Much grippier, the square cut knurling also has tiny ridges, similar to the TK75. The S3 has more of a glossy finish and doesnā€™t offer any grip.
Much nicer Lanyard
Gets hotter faster, so probably has superior heat dissipation
Good AR coating on the lense vs no AR coating

The S3 is a lot floodier with a very shallow reflector, much wider spill and hotspot, which probably means the F12 is a little throwier.

Cons of the F12 are well documented, the battery tube not fitting protected batteries and the SS bezel produces some artifacts, although not within the spill.

If you follow the other review of the S3 it has a much wider spill and hotspot compared to the S2

I see that* mfpmax* managed to fit a Carclo optic in his S3 which is encouraging, but I was wondering if anyone had managed to fit a 20mm triple mcpcb inside of their Convoy S* yet. I was thinking about trying to file down the top of the pill to fit a triple 219 with a Carclo 10507 on top. Any thoughts?

I thought about it when I built a Triple setup for another light. The issue would end up being the depth of all the pieces since the pill is deeper into the light. Youā€™d have to probably have a piece of copper/aluminum,whatever to raise the final height to reach the lip of the bezel.

hi, i want buy a flood edc 18650 and i like Convoy S3 and S2ā€¦ā€¦but iā€™m undecided also on Roche F12 and Ultrafire 2100!
I would like the brightest, but i like also a neutral tint so now iā€™m focused on Roche F12! Someone can give me some advice?
sorry for my english, iā€™m new but I hope to share more information with you :slight_smile: thanks

Hi, Gio! I donā€™t have the Roche but I do have the S3, the 2100, and the HD2011. Drop the 2100 and the HD2011 from the list and donā€™t think twice about it. The Roche has an even nicer host than the S3 but if you run protected cells you can forget that one also. The S3 is available in any tint you could want and takes all cells but you wonā€™t go wrong with either that or the Roche. :wink:

I donā€™t think the Roche F12 has battery fitting problems anymore, at least not the fasttech version that I have. Im using a panasonic 3400 protected cell from fasttech thatā€™s meant to be one of the larger batteries out there and it works fine, length of battery doesnā€™t seem to be an issue. Diameter wise as far as I can tell itā€™s the same as the Convoy S3. The only advantages the S3 has over the F12 IMO is it has a much wider spill and is floodier, that is if you want a floody beam, and no SS Bezel artifacts. Other than that the F12 is a much nicer and better designed host and has a really good grip in hand lacking in the S3. Both are nice hosts but Iā€™d recommend the F12 if a floody beam profile isnā€™t mandatory.

thank you Johnny and whokilled!ā€¦but can you tell me what are the real lumens of both?
I have a Xeno E03 NW and i love itā€¦with a 14500 is very bright for the size!!ā€¦you think that S3 and F12 are brighter than the about 400 lumens of the Xeno?
I want the one that has a similar floody beam profile of the Xenoā€¦.F12 isnā€™t too much floody?
And which has the best tint?..ā€¦i will take it on fasttech and i think with 2.8A :wink:

At 2.8A youā€™d probably get close to 800 Lumens, before heat kicks in and the battery depletes. The F12 will perform better than the S3 for 2 reasons, it has an AR coated lense and it has in integrated pill for superior heat transfer. Iā€™d recommend 2.8A as a manual turbo, unless youā€™re cycling I wouldnā€™t keep it on high for more than 5 minutes. 50% medium is still a good high mode for this form factor, so it works out well.

I might suggest getting the F12 in black as I understand it is HA3 whereas the brown isnā€™t. The black version may also be an updated version, from other posts the original F12ā€™s didnā€™t have AR lenses and had battery fitting issues, Iā€™m wondering if the brown colored ones are the originals, just a guess. Mine (in black) fits a panasonic protected 3400, which is a large battery. Tint wise neutral white isnā€™t so harsh on the eyes, I prefer 3C over 5C as 5C is perhaps a little too warm, but everyoneā€™s different.

The S3 is still a nice host and has a nicer beam profile without the SS artifacts, and is floodier.

S3 - huge smooth beam, love it
S3 - takes any battery, fat, long, short, button or not
S3 - the manual turbo philosophy with 2.8 driver is nice

F12 - much more tactile switch
F12 - better knurling, but rough on pockets
F12 - lower low mode

S3ā€™s beam makes it truly different from any other light I have

thanks guysā€¦.but iā€™m very undecided :~
I have 18650 Eagletac battery 2400 and 3100mah, they can fit on F12?
I like design of F12, but now iā€™m curious about this nice beam profile of the S3!ā€¦i want also a good spill without rings, but it is too flood? it throws to how many meters?ā€¦.i would like to about 30 meters at least
But both gets close to 800 lumens or only the F12?
Thank you again and sorry for my many questions :wink:

The Roche F12 comes with the same driver options as the S3 such as the 2.8A driver, and also comes in a 4C tint which is nice. My version from fasttech(Black) doesnā€™t seem to have battery fitting issues as itā€™s being used with a panasonic 3400 protected cell

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10002855/1309304-roche-f12-cree-xm-l-t6-4c-886-lumen-2-group-35-mod

Update: length of the panasonic 3400 protected battery is a problem after all as Iā€™ve noticed the positive button has slightly caved in on one side, although this battery is supposed to be longer than your average protected battery. Inner tube diameter appears to my eye to be the same as the S3, although I donā€™t have digital calipers to confirm.

Now on fasttech there is also Convoy S6!ā€¦.which i have to choose?!? :~ ā€¦more and more confused
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1319307-convoy-s6-cree-xm-l-t6-4c-886-lumen-4300-4500k-2-g

Have an S3 & F12 currently. Would tend to agree with comments here. Both are pretty well built, but the Roche a tad nicer overall. But length of protected cells can be an issue. Havenā€™t had any issue fitting cells in my S3.

IMO both/either the S3 and F12 are nicer than the S6 you posted. I am a sucker for stainless bezels and colored finishes thoughā€¦ Also, pretty sure the S6 can NOT tailstand, if that matters to you.

Hard for me to compare beams between my S3 and F12 because mine have different emitters & power levels. Apples / orangesā€¦.

My S3 is a cool XP-G2. Itā€™s pretty throwy [for its size] because of the emitter, but floody at the same time because of reflector size/shape. Kind of a strange mixture, but I like it. By the way, it is for sale HERE.
:slight_smile:

The F12, on the other hand, is a warm XM-L running 3*AMC7135 ā€”- low current for XM-L. F12 beam is quite floody because of the emitter, and power is low for an XM-L, so it doesnā€™t throw like some others running 2.8A reported here. (This was intentional.)

If battery fitment is a concern, go with the S3. That said, the Roche is very VERY nice. I recommend you try one too. :slight_smile: Fun spending others money. :slight_smile: