FastTech Put Me In A Situation

Yup the button top put down with a paper sticker and heatshrink will never have that problem.

Also this way when you want to turn the button top back to a flat top, you can just cut away the transparent heatshrink pull the sticker off and have a clean flat top again.

Something you cannot do with a blob of solder, as you have to sand the flat top first for the solder to stick to it correctly.

I have done over 100 of my 18650’s with this method and I love it.

ps: “this method” beeing the button tops, stickers and shrinkwrap.

Sorry I had to edit my last post a few times. Never post anything when you’ve had a few cocktails. lol

Right here with you :beer: cheers

Thanks pal :slight_smile: :beer:

Well, just took a peek on the electrical conductivity of neodymium, seems to be even less than half of stainless steel, which already sucks anyway… :FACEPALM:
Easy way for an orders of magnitude improvement with regards to this: wrap your magnets up with copper/aluminium sheet (6+ layers of standard 0'016mm aluminium foil should work wonders even for high current requirements).

Cheers ^:)

... or just stay save and buy button tops ;)

-> i did stupid and dangerous things when plaing around and testing lights in the basement

(having a fire extinguisher nearby and a fan to suck out funny fumes of soldering, burnt stuff and mexican food a guy alone in the basement... ;) )

but when i leave the house with my lights i trust no experimental solutions

Lame button tops. Removing them improved overall battery “internal” resistances.

That's the reason for my proposal on using alu/copper wrapped neodymium magnets as button tops.

I am sure the Mexican food was hotter coming out! lol You might need to EDC a fire extinguisher.

I understood that the best way to put out a lithium fire, besides not causing it was to put a bucket of fine sand over it.

Please tell me I’m correct for I have this 10L bucket of fine sand standing in my working room and I had to many questions about it already :smiley:

I also have 2 1L A,B,C powder and 1 6L A,B foam extinguisher’s in the same room just in case.

I know A is for woods, papers etc B is for fluids, C is for gasses but I read that the best way to extinguish a Lithium fire was by taking away the air/oxygen.

Back in the day we would use Halon for that, but someone decided it was bad for the ozone layer so no more Halon extinguishes for me.

G'day ShadowMiner198,

I just checked Fasttech by placing an identical order to yours, & they only wanted USD $2 for shipment with Australia Expedited Air ("9 working days in transit typical").

So there is something wrong with your order. I suggest you cancel it & do it again.

Best Regards,

George

Yes, sand is good. The first R/C electric airplane guys who experimented with lithium cells would have a plastic bag of sand suspeneded over the packs they were charging. You can follow their reasoning easily.

Not sure what’s going on here but Fasttech are not shipping batteries to Australia period at this point.

It probably depends on whether Fasttech or one of their suppliers is shipping them to the customer.

I just tried it is letting me but i have to use Aussie post but i always do with Fasttech its so damn cheap. Cost us almost the same just to send a letter now.

Maybe. I had an email from them stating Australia post is not taking lithium batteries. They will send them but Australia post won’t accept them.

Australia may have gotten more nervous recently.

No. Just want to clarify. I paid for shippimg to Australia and all. 3 days later Fasttech contact me saying that the 4 Panasonic 18650 3400mah batterys couldnt not be sent via the shipping method I chose. Even though the shipping method I chose was te only one that accepted liion cells. And nos the want me to pay another 14.70 for the post for it to go via denmark or something.

I think it best to order lithium cells separate from everything else. I believe Fasttech is more in compliance with all the regulations that pertain to international shipping of lithium cells. I base that on the fact that every package of lithium cells that BG and GB have sent never state on the customs declaration that there are lithium cells or batteries inthe package. They label it as a charger or electronic parts. A pack of two 26650’s from BG arrived today labeled as “chargers”. The shippers probably know that US customs seldom actually opens a small package. Whenever I have tried ordering cells from Fasttech I either find there is no suitable shipping method available, or the package got shipped, got as far as the USPS entry station, sits there a while and then gets returned and then refunded with an apology. So I don’t blame Fasttech for this shipping problem with lithium cells; I believe they are following the rules.

I buy cells from US sellers but sometimes can’t resist the deal prices from China.

Mtn Don is right, the others are circumventing the rules. Sooner or later they will end up being forced into compliance which is why I snapped up 8 30Q button tops recently even though I have no current need for them. It left me quite poor to do that as it coincided with a weeks unpaid vacation time but whatever.

Life is about doing whatever you have to do first even if it hurts. Get that right and life is much better thereafter.

Phil

SawMaster, giving in to fear is never wise. Others will keep circumventing the rules for as long as there's a motivation to do so. It's like the war on drugs… no war will EVER work. A true answer always is acknowledging whatever problem(s) and providing valid, effective and satisfying solutions for every part involved. Cargo ship regulation enhancements, my dear…

Original post date: Sun, 09/04/2016 - 09:44; typo fixups.