Favorite EDC pen or fountain pen?

Oh that seems very interesting! What is the brand/model :slight_smile: ?

I’ve been into fountain pens much longer than flashlights.

For a while I carried a Lamy Safari in charcoal, but for a long time I coveted the 21k Sailors. Almost three years ago now I finally purchased a Sailor Pro Gear Realo (piston filler) with M nib, and though it’s a bit much for EDC I don’t care and I carry it anyways because it’s awesome. I’ve also gotten into vintage pens, and I sometimes EDC an old Parker 51 Aerometric.

Ball pens are maybe more practical, but the writing experience of a good fp is more than worth the tradeoffs for me. Plus the cool factor is undeniable. That being said I usually keep a space pen of sorts as a backup (I prefer to put the Fisher refill into another pen body)

1 Thank

It’s a great writing instrument. I just wish PILOT had thought to make the ink reservoir larger. I often use a cartridge that I refill, rather than a converter. I get about 20% more ink. But lately I’ve not been bothering with fountain pens for EDC. They’re usually terrible for signing those printed receipts.

My pen of choice is a Fisher Space Pen bullet, which is super small. Mine is abused. A little dented and the cap “data nub” came off at some point, so I use a rubber cap over it to keep my pants pockets from getting ink stains. When I’m using my portable writing pad, I’ve got a Zebra Sharbo multi-pen docked to its side. 2 ballpoints, 1 pencil. Very nicely made. This one is a limited edition.

I quite enjoy foutain pen.

In my pencil case, I had a Lamy Safari or a Pilot Metro with fine nibs. As a teacher, I like to have inks that cannot be imitated. I mostly use Lie de Thé by J. Herbin.

… but nowadays I prefer only take easy pen like Uni boxy 100 as edc.

I EDC cheap, plastic ballpoint pens, because I keep losing them on regular basis.
For daily writing I like to use my grandpa’s 1949 Waterman fountain pen.
Mike

How long have you carried the Pokka? Always read about the cap being loose over time. Did you have the same experience?

Got my Lamy Safari in red ABS with fine nib yesterday… I really like the pen! I will likely get on of the aluminums next, maybe the AL Star. Their F nib is really nice, makes me want to try the EF nib next.

I appreciate all of the input here, some are way more than I would spend some are not. But, I may pick up some of the other suggestions and I may yet pick up the brass one I found.

Fescron Here is the story on this pen. I believe its sold out.
C

Thanks guys!

For ball point Fisher Space pens, I own a few from this page.

I have the “Embassy” pen in stainless steel (heavy like carrying a roll of dimes) and titanium (lighter, but better EDC weight).

I don’t have the “Pendulum” pen, but I’d imagine it would be a great keychain or pocket pen and candidate for a paracord lanyard.

I’ve had about three Fisher Space Bullet pens. Two did the slippy slide out of my pocket, the third I still have but the brass inner has come out and it’s in bits. That and the ink dragging has put me off them.

AliExpress has these for around $7, and there is a more “tactical” appearance version for roughly the same price. One handed operation and no fiddling with caps was my priority. I’ve had this for about five years now and use it absolutely daily.

I went through quite the assortment of ink cartridges, and all failed in spectacular leakage fashion, or stopped working, including the Fisher Space Pen cartridges, probably because I fly for a living and the constant pressure changes killed them.
This cartridge type is the ONLY one that has not, and continues to work flawlessly to this day. I am now on my 6th refill, and couldn’t be happier.

Yeesh, no idea. (Goggling… late 2018.)

Only use it occasionally, if I don’t bring a cheepie pen instead, so it doesn’t have much “action”, capwise.

I think you’ll find the Lamy cartridge inks are not at all water resistant. Have you considered a converter so that you can use any bottled ink? Also, I’m thinking the dip pens don’t have to have India Ink …pretty much any ink will work, though the results will wary a lot.
Not to push you to the event horizon of a rabbit hole …but if interested? Noodler’s Borealis Black Ink Review — The Pen Addict

Yes, gonna go to a converter and need ink for my old Parker bladder pen. The ink you listed was the first I had narrowed my digging down to. Good to have it recommended

Necrobump!

I don’t remember ever buying a gel ink pen, so I may have used my mom’s Pilot G2 pens.
I recently received these pens…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VLH6NU
I haven’t used these pens very much, but I really like them so far.
The point is pretty fine tipped even though it’s 0.7mm
I’m not a pen expert or anything, but these seem nice.
If this is the first time that I’ve bought gel ink pens, then someone needs to welcome me to the 21st century.
Regardless, I like these more than Pilot G2 pens. :grin:

1 Thank

I have, literally, a cigar box full of pens. Ranging from the Parker T-Balls to several fountain pens.

There’s a Mt Blanc in there too.

I like this demonstrator pen. It’s clear and shows the working guts. It’s fun to show off to folks who have never seen a fountain pen before.

The pen that was my edc was a Mt Blanc clone, twisty ball point. With a Fisher space pen refill in it. But it was made of brass instead of the Mt. Blanc plastic.
Nice and heavy. It has a great feel.
Going to try some of those Schmidt easy flows in some of my dried up Parkers.

I have some vintage Japanese pens with semi-flexible tips that give a completely different writing experience.
Italic or stub nibs are fun to play with. I have a Parker with an Italic nib that I used for years.

Regular old dip pens with italic, music, or super flex tips give a look not seen outside of the calligraphy world. The nibs are so cheap, it’s fun to experiment.
I would use a - sorta - Spencerian / Copperplate looking script.
Think Coca Cola font.
Real copperplate needs the offset points that are just too much bother.
Too old and criped-up to do that anymore.

But if you want a pen that will work after sitting in a drawer for last 10 years - that 19 cent Bic is the one to grab.

Pens, like flashlights, always searching for the next “best” thing…
All the Best,
Jeff

Also meant to say that mixing up my own ink colors was fun and produced something not easily copied.

Fisher space pen, Tombow Zooms, Kaweco brass rollerball. The Tombows are my favorites, they have the most comfortable grip.