Favorite EDC pen or fountain pen?

Someone gave me a Uniball Igno. I liked it. I decided to get some G2s. I like the Uniball pens better.
I do like the gel pens for smoothness. I may have to try the Papermate and the TUL that you mention.
Just what I need, something else to spend money o… as a compulsion… :japanese_ogre:

My favourite pen is my Lamy 2000 fountain pen loaded with Sailor kiwa-guro ink.

1 Thank

Ha! I was gonna type essentially this (because I’m till doing it), and don’t really have to.

Tried Bics, Write Bros, other disposables, and they last a little while then just dry up and stop writing. Same with generic clickies.

The ones my bank uses, for whatever reason, just keep going and going and going, without drying up. If one magically disappears, net time I go to the bank, “Mind if I take-with?”, “Sure, go’head…”, and I’m set. They usually try to throw in those little pocket-calendars, but I never use 'em, so decline.

Wish I could find out what brand they use, 'cause I’d get a bunch myself. Did ask, nobody knows.

I did have “better” pens, like 1-2 Cross twisties and some nice Parker clickies, but they, too, dry up after a while. Aftermarket bootleg refills? Unno.

Pilot 78g F nib,Sheaffer No nonsense F nib, Pelikan M200 EF nib and Parker jotter ballpoint.

It’s not a pen, but my go-to writing implement is a Pentel P205 mechanical pencil with whatever grade B lead I have, Pentel/Rotring/etc…

These things are tough as nails, watch the nib doesn’t stab you in the leg while it’s in your pocket though!

Today, I wrote with my Waterman 78, which is >90 years old.

1 Thank

While doing something else, I found a box of Pilot G2 pens, so obviously I did buy a 12 pack (probably at a brick & mortar Walmart.)
So, I have about eighteen non-gel ink pens, a dozen Pilot G2 gel ink pens, and a dozen Tul gel ink pens.
I’ve got enough pens to last maybe a decade, considering how infrequently I write anything down, though I think I’ll only use the Tul pens.
(I usually just type stuff up on a computer or on my smart phone.)
I think I’m done experimenting with pens, though, because I like the Tul pens that much. :pen:

I carry a Zebra F-701. Stainless steel so it won’t break if it gets crushed, cheap enough it’s not a disaster if I lose it (I don’t have a great record with pens, even though I’ve never lost a light…), and strong enough that it could be used for self-defence if necessary.

It’s just a very thin metal casing. The main structure is plastic.

Well, enough force will break anything, of course, but I’ve never broken one carrying it in my purse or pocket, and even tested the strength once out of interest, no problems.

Not sure if you have a different version maybe, IIRC some of their older models were part plastic, but the F-701 is all metal.

Entire high school and college - Parker Jotter stainless

Favorite edc pen- Fisher space pen bullet matte black

In my wish list - Visconti Apollo

Check the inside. When you remove the tip, what you see is just the metal (maybe 0.1mm thick) folded over the front. The inside is all plastic.

Interesting, there is a plastic sleeve inside, yeah. It’s not just the very end of the tube though, the threads are metal in mine (seems like some older ones had plastic threads).

Still happy with it as a pen though, great for the price and I tested it by punching holes in a beer can so it still has enough strength for my day to day purposes, I guess, and if I do ever break one then whatever, it’s only $7.

Here the look inside an F-xMD (which basically is the same model, just for a different market and it comes with the metal clicky end by default).

(Not my photo, it’s from an Amazon review and Discourse hotlinks it automatically.)

I have a few myself and yes, they are great for their price! Still looking for a similar one in 100% metal.

1 Thank

I have a Lamy Scala, made of stainless steel, which I use every day for taking notes at work. Before that, it got me all the way through my training and my vocational diploma (called ‘Fachabitur’ in Germany) :smiley:

I’ve never been a fan of ballpoint pens. I only wrote with a fountain pen from the 2nd grade onwards.

So It looks like it is an all SS body, threads and actuator, with a plastic liner. I think something in all SS would be pretty heavy, and likely would cost considerably more …

But how does it write??

It’s nice. Not as good as a gel pen or fountain pen but as good as normal ballpoints get.

Practical taste, and great choice. The F-701 has taken over the #1 spot in my rotation from the F-301 (whose cartridges interchange, BTW). Although, I’m not sure I’d trust it to do a John Wick number… :wink:

1 Thank

I use a G2 in my F-701, just needs a different spring and you have to remove the top cap of the cartridge.

Now that sounds interesting… what different spring and where do you find it? I like the F-701 concept, but I really like the way a gel pen writes.