[February 2016] Major site upgrade coming

I know you’ve loathed the prospect of being forced through this upgrade process for quite a long time, but at least you’ll ultimately benefit from the additional functionality youve mentioned several times and feel good about reinvesting in the new release. Here’s wishing you immediate success through an easy journey.

thank you for the all your work and time! Looking forward to using the new site.

To me it seems original site uses Drupal. Is the new forum also Drupal driven or are you moving to something else?
I really like the power of the original forum.

Good luck with the update, thanks for the hard work that goes into maintaining BLF, and in keeping this a fun place!

Will certainly work SB.

Thanks for all your effort

Thanks and good luck!

According to post #18 in this thread, BLF will be getting a Drupal upgrade. ;)

Ah, thanks for that link. Drupal it is :slight_smile:

Excited to see what’s coming, thanks SB for your effort.

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement!

Yep, Drupal. I’ve heavily researched all the available open source forum options and even tested many of them. But for now Drupal continues to be the most flexible and accommodating for the majority of our users. First and foremost it’s open source— I’m pretty strict about only using open source software that won’t get us locked into a specific vendor that will later put us in a choke-hold by changing their terms or pricing or even disappearing altogether. Also Drupal is pretty much the only platform that allows me to (relatively) easily create custom functionality like the BLF community-moderated spam control feature, despite me not really being a programmer.

As for Tapatalk support: I’m not making any guarantees. I don’t trust them, and their support for Drupal looks to be marginal at best.

I’ve wished often that you’d install a tip jar or a ‘send pizza or beer’ button or something — to accept more than verbal thank-yous.

“Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers” — Blanche DuBois

Thanks a lot Hank, I really do appreciate the good will, it means a lot to me!

I prefer the ad banner method; the site sponsors do provide nice tips to me, and they also sell most of the cool gadgets we buy here relating to our hobby. So if you’re planning on visiting any of our sponsors’ sites, it would be good to go there by clicking on their banners (the top horizontal one and the first two vertical positions). I don’t receive any kind of sales or affiliate commissions from them, but it does show them where their business is coming from, and hopefully they’ll be motivated to continue supporting us.

Add mine to the chorus of thank yous. There are so few good moderators and you are one of them.

So sb is upgrading the site

And we know that he'll make it work right

So be patient my friends

Sb's job never ends

Leading everyone into the light

Nice! Thanks Jack!

Bumpity bump!

7 & 1/2 hours til lights out.................................

so, we should be somewhat ok by noon tomorrow? Have I figured out the time zone thing correctly? Thanks.

Should be somewhat ok by @10AM for CA