Fenix RC40 Full Desktop Review by Patriot36

Anyone knows the coupon for HKE? Thank you in advance.

3 things suck about this light:

1. The price
2. The average cells in the battery pack
3. The size

Watched the video about a week ago, seems fairly impressive, until he pulls out the PH5

So finally stumbled on this big bold beauty in person. Like any higher end light, its stunning. Big head, lovely anodizing, nice packaging, etc, etc…did I mention outrageous price?!

Lovely to hold, admire, wonder at the quality of the proprietary battery pack, thinking about why they didn’t make the emitters the latest and greatest and why the depth of the reflectors in the head isn’t greater.

Why not build the best light you can, especially for that price (this shop was MAP price around $360) when you clearly have the engineering/manufacturing/marketing capabilities to do so - how many of your average Joe buyers (as opposed to the fanatical BLF types!) would spend that type of money on a light?

Crazy. Glad I finally saw it in person, looked at the TK70 and 75 at the same time…had to keep my wallet in the car just in case I was tempted.

yeah… i’ll say that’s about $200+ difference alright :wink:

If you appreciate engineering and material put into RC40, it is as good value as TK75.
And good thing about high price flashlight is not many buying it. :smiley:

Look at this link below, I’m looking for one too…

how come theres not much talk about this light? no members have this light yet?

Here’s what Flight Deck said about the Fenix RC40. H e said this in response to a question about more or less why he is selling his. He has dropped the price to $300 and still no takers.

_

I have all three (Fenix TK75, RC40 and an Olight SR95S UT), and while it may be derogatory to this post, I’ll take a whack at your question in a round-about way, as to why I’ve decided to sell mine.

The Olight SRS UT is just a little shy of a white LED laser beam. Nothing in my arsenal besides my MaxaBeam comes close (and the MaxaBeam is stupid expensive, so it’s really not worth comparing). I’d say that the Lux readings I’ve seen are pretty accurate as far as peak beam intensities (and thus maximum throw). The Olight produces about 260,000 lux while the RC40 is rated right around ½ that, at about 130,000. I use the Olight for illumination wildlife in my back acreage about 150 to 200 yards out. The RC40 can’t get out that far, while it’s putting out A LOT more light. The Olight has very little (and dare I say unusable), spill however, so for general area illumination while still having excellent throw, the RC40 is an excellent choice.

The TK75 and RC40 are very close in beam profile and overall performance, with the RC40 having obvious greater output and throw. The reason I’m selling it however, is because in my opinion it’s just not enough better that the TK75 to justify the greater size, weight and a proprietary battery. I have the extra battery magazine for my TK75, so from a versatility standpoint, the TK75 really rocks as it can put out so much light from such a small package (with only 2 or 4 18650s), or power on for an insane amount of time on 8 batteries.

If I didn’t already have a TK75, I would keep the RC40 to be sure, but the RC40 is just such a monster, that I decided to keep the TK75 for the above reasons.

Best regards,
John C.

Long live the Fenix TK75. :bigsmile:

Very expensive, average battery pack, quite large, old emitters are possible reasons

I think most people are really put off by the older emitters, and the pricetag.

Many are also probably hoping for a TK75 upgrade.

Ya, I agree that if you are using your flashlight and not a collector, and you already own TK75, RC40 won’t be attractive to you.
I don’t use my flashlight to full, maybe only 10% of their time except TK70, and I don’t have TK75, RC40 is so collectable to me.

I got to handle a RC40 today. That light is a beast. Big and heavy. With the price, weight and size, I’m not thinking the increased output is worth it as compared to my TK75.

i was thinking that, but i remember when the tk70 came out, i paid $229 plus $70 or so for the batteries and charger.
and that thing was big and heavy and everyone including myself liked it.

now you can get the rc40 for the same price and its more powerful, so i dont think its thaaat expensive for what it is.
im still tempted , but because i dont see ANY reviews or even threads on this light, makes me second guess myself.

Check youtube, plenty of reviews, Patriots reviews are unreal

The RC40 will be interesting if there is a battery pack upgrade, and XML2 emitter upgrade. Until there is, just no point for anyone that owns a TK75 already, to get it, except as a collectible.

i did check youtube. not much on there either. only like 5 or less.
i dont have a tk75, but i will pass on this rc 40 now.
thanks ppl. now to wait for the next big thing…

Since it is a such a "bad" f.light if anyone decided to throw it away I will be more than happy to pay for shipping :D

LMAO - get in line.

I'll even buy one if someone wants to get rid of theirs for $240 or less :p

I will get rid of mine in year 2043, maybe. :Sp