Fenix TK61 teardown and mod thread

I’m sorry for what happened, I see also the encapsulated coil it’s broken :~

It was broken before the regulator’s fail and I had no problem.

Hi there guys!

I just bought some Fenix TK61 that I want to control from a arduino chip. Has anyone here tried to do that? I want to be able to start a special light sequence that the arduino will trigged in a stage performance I’m creating. In the best of worlds I would love to be able to dim the light form 100-0% be able to strobe it and have total control over the light. Is it possible to just let the arduino control the power button, and do fades of the light beam through pulses in 100% brightness mode? And where on the torch’s circuit board would you guys solder the chip on (pre or post the power button, or somewhere else)? Hope that the purpose of the project is clear enough for you so you can imagine what’s needed to be done. Looking forward for some answers form the Pro’s : )

All the best from Sweden.

It’s not that easy as it may look. You can control power button on the flashlight if the button is an electronic “switch” but if that button is only used for power on and off or mode 1 mode 2 and mode 3 that’s all you will be able to get using arduino, ona and off…
To have absolutely full control over the flashlight you have to find PWM pin of the MCU used in the flashlight, lift it from the board or unsolder it and use arduino PWM pin to control the LED, of course, for that you will have to write the code that you will run on arduino board.

Yes, that was the plan. To either replace the on/off switch with a relay or pwm the led driver.
So I guess the question is:

- can anyone identify the pwm pin on the TK61 MCU?

• would that interfere with some over/undercurrent or other protection logic inside the original MCU?

I’m still amazed to how this light can get 171kcd with domed XML2. The magic is in (plastic) reflector. While it’s not the most pleasant choice for most of us, shaping plastic is much easier than metal. I will prefer this plastic reflector rather than ugly knurled aluminum one - performance wise.
Fenix has discontinued this TK61, and will soon replace it with more mainstream thrower emitter like XHP35HI. My guess, 300kcd stock is easy even with current TK61 reflector. Any clue as to the launching date?

- Clemence