[Finished] 5. Batch "TA" Bistro HD OTSM/Narsil drivers, 15-47.5mm size fit H03, MF01, MT03, Q8 1S or 2S, Clicky or E-switch

Hi Edness, it was your first S42 driver upgrade that spurred me to do mine, some details of my S42 upgrade here.

The driver is very energy conservative, when it’s first turned off it draws about 4.66 mA (presumably the MCU is in an alert Standby mode) but after a few seconds it drops into a deeper standby mode and draws only 0.09 mA. I don’t know the split between MCU and switch LED but regardless that’s 95% less than the OEM Dragon Breath Mode.

So if I got the Q8 2S driver, could I replace the LEDs with XHP50.2 or XHP70.2 LEDs?

Yeah, if you mod the rest of the light.

Nice! It was tricky but it was much easier the second time. I wanted a rechargeable high CRI light so decided to mod another one. I mixed Nichia 4000k and 5000k 90cri emitters. I also mixed xp-l hi on my other S42.

I was thinking about converting to a triple like I did with my s41, might do that later eventually.

I found today, that the 30mm 2S driver when used in FET+1 configuration has a design error that affects only the Indicator LED Output
it needs a fix cutting one trace and do a bridge from LED resistor to MCU pin 3

It looks like this particular thread is going to be winding down and a new thread for new orders (Part 6) will be starting up over here.

Sale 6. Batch TA 1S or 2S Bistro HD OTSM/NarsilM drivers 15-47.5mm size fit, S2+, C8, H03, MF01, MT03, Q8 Clicky or E-switch

Yeah I added all the new stuff,

not merging TA drivers with the established buck
and the new boost which will come later as the regulators are sold out

Got my drivers. Thanks Lexel! I didn’t know they would come without the 7135s on them. Which 7135s should I get? The 350ma or the 380ma?

Thanks again!

The driver has one AMC in 2S operation, it is single sided
this allows indicator LED output and prevents XHP70.2 to glow in standby

Is this for the L6 and/or MF01? Are they still triple channel? I’m confused by this.

L6 and MF01 2S TA are for now build as FET+1 AMC7135

I can build them triple channel, but had reports of main LEDs lightly glimming plus then no indicator LEd MCU Outpus possible because of LVP divider

So, I don’t need to add any 7135s? There’s 9 empty spots on the L6 driver and 15 empty spots on the MF01.

No, you are good to go. It’s already been tested by Lexel.

When it comes to 2S lights, they produce 8.4 volts and the 7135 is only rated to something like 6v or 7v. In most cases (if you can buy the raven claw version) they can handle 8.4 volts with no issues, usually. Every now and then a 7135 will not be able to handle the higher voltage and cause strange things like leak voltage and the emitter might glow when turned off.

To combat this, and maybe because he can’t get the raven claw 7135 any more, Lexel has changed the design. It is more like the Q8 driver, FET + 1. I think you lose a bit of efficiency, but it’s more reliable. No one complains on the Q8! Lol

Ok, great. I’ve just seen pictures of the MF01 driver with the 15- 7135s on it, and mine looked a bit naked.

Thanks guys.

In fact, Texas_Ace (his driver design) is also building drivers for the Haikelite MT09R without the 7135 chips as they are 6v and 12v.

I wonder if the lack of good 7135 chips is the reason for the change?

The change to a 2. channel MOSFET in TA design comes from high currents creating voltage spikes that can kill the AMCs in 3x XHP70 builds
Its easy to replace one AMC, also the leaking is so low with one the LEd does not glow

Mod’s all done in my H03 and it all works great! My only complaint is I seem to be getting some coil whine/PWM noise on mid levels? Is this a known issue? Are there any ways to prevent this?

PWM frequency should be around 20kHz, there is no coil that could whine, on the buck or boost drivers this is a common thing

Okay, so what could I be hearing? It’s silent on turbo and the lower levels, but around 50% to 80% (very rough guesses) it’s squealing at me.

the current is switched by the FET mostly at this level, its a drop from 0 to open FET
Maybe the driver is a bit loose or the cables cause it