Fireflies E07 preview

No room for tape, just replace the wire. They used stiff 18ga leads that easily get the coating split when you re-do them a couple of times. Much easier to just replace the wire.

I wouldn’t condone trying but liquid tape would probably fix it up.

Any word from FireFlies regarding production corrections to all of the above mentioned QC issues and anomalies?

how to open the driver?

check with multi meter…
seems like there is short between + and the body (head)

From this thread:

Cu & Ti premium versions available next month with the following improvements:

• Application of more thermal paste.
  • Battery tube will be extended to about 1mm to support/prevent damaging longer 21700. Anything longer than 1mm might affect the operation of 18650 setup.

I received my Gray E07 (purchased from Neal) earlier this week, along with what appears to be a counterfeit Samsung 40T. I contemplated purchasing a battery from Illumn, IMR Batteries, etc., but the cost with shipping would have exceeded the price of the battery on Neal’s store. And besides, a manufacturer that is aimed squarely at the enthusiast market should at least make sure to have a decent source of batteries, right?

Unfortunately, no.

At checkout, it was very clear that I was purchasing a “Samsung INR21700-40T”. And that is what the wrapper of the cell claims:

However, the bottom of a genuine Samsung 40T is smooth, while the one I received has a ring machined in the bottom. This ring strongly resembles the ring on the bottom of a Lishen LR2170SA.

Finally, the specification of the Samsung 40T lists a weight of 66.8g, while the specification of the Lishen LR2170SA lists a weight of 69g. The cell I received weights 68.9g.

Based on this, it appears Fireflies is shipping cheaper Lishen cells that have been rewrapped to look like better performing, and considerably more expensive, Samsung 40T cells.

Would have like to help you with this but i do not think my soldering iron and talents equal to your sideral sphere.
A warm baguette melts cheese however. Red wine is an excellent flux.

It won’t take long to find someone able to solder for you if you would ask.

Delta_V here is my samsung 40t

I opened my E07 to fix the MCPCB issue, looked the same as everyone else’s. Everything went back together fine and worked normally for a day and a half or so, suddenly last night it starts behaving really weird. When I go to the low end of the ramp, the light turns off, then begins flashing wildly and at random brightnesses. Sometimes it simply turns itself all the way off. Any time I enter a deeper menu (any of the configs, batt check, etc) it behaves similarly, the blinks waiting for input flicker and flash many times, the battery level blinks are really… out of timing if that makes any sense. Right now for example it’s at 3.7V and blinking like …blink…………BLINK…blink………….blink…BLINKBLINK………….blink….blink……blink………….BLINK. Did I mess something up when I took it apart or is my driver shot?

So far all but one of my Fireflies lights has issues (still waiting on a replacement ROT66 head…), and that makes me really sad because I LOVE the look and feature set of their lights.

We had that issue with the batteries a couple of pages ago, pretty much with the same findings. Did anyone contact FireFlies/Neal about this?

That is interesting… I took three e07 lights apart and re-assembled them. I had one light do this for about 60 seconds. After that it never happened again. During that short time it was quite strange.

I wonder if perhaps some of the new thermal compound over-flowed onto something and is causing interference. Can you try to clean up any over-flowed compound as best you can and see if that helps?

was: Nichia 219C R9050 CRI95
soon: Samsung LH351D W6 5000K
using a UV moneychecker

Thank you Firelight2 for posting this so we know what to expect if we want to fix fireflies reluctant to admit mistake. I don’t want to attempt any warranty issues in the future. If I mess it up it’s on me, but if they mess it up, well, it’s still probably on me. Lol

Omg, let us know how it looks like afterwards! :open_mouth: Also output tests and stuff. Would be interesting if you achieve similar results as DB Custom :smiley:

i have no calibrated spere and i did not measure before disassembling --- sorry

Here are my two 40T's from fireflies. They both have the rings at the bottom, but with these cells, the E07's shine brighter than my ROT66's, so not sure if Lishen cells would be able to do that? Confusing really as the Lishen is rated at 12A continuous so it doesn't make any sense that they would put out so much more light than a 30Q in my E07. Based on lumens, they would have to be Samsungs even if the specs aren't 100%.

is it possible that the wrapper weighs the difference of 1,5g ?

I noticed the same thing. Using the “40T” from Fireflies, my light is much, MUCH brighter than if I run it on Sony VTC5A from Mountain Electronics. The VTC5A is rated for a much higher max discharge than the 12A Lishen.

Is it perhaps a bit of a stretch to assume the 40T Fireflies shipped are rewrapped Lishen given that they seem to perform so well? Maybe they’re rewrapped something else. Lishen aren’t the only cells that have the ring in the bottom.

They can pulse higher than 30Q. Doesnt make it a good 21700 cell. Dont make excuses for FF. Call them out on this they should admit their mistake regardless of intention. Samsung cells dont magically get longer, heavier, with different casing. Sorry.