FireFoxes 4 HID, [originally a GB thread], ($230., shipped via DHL), ($205 via Singpost) w/ beamshot links in OP

I’m assuming there hasn’t been any revisions of the FF4 over the three batches? :smiley:

I would assume that your assumption is not far out. Maybe years from now in the FF5 perhaps, as I observed of the time gap from the FF3 to the FF4. How I wish lights can be digitally reconfigurable! In my case, mine will be arriving probably 3 days from today so I will be enjoying it for what it’s worth. If something new comes up, whether in HID or LEDs, then that is another story. :wink:

Received mine from doingoutdoor, I can’t wait to get back home to try it. Shipped May 31, 8 days to reach Canada, not bad !

Imagine a FF5 with a bluetooth controlled driver! :heart_eyes:

Lucky you! What postage did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

EMS. Expensive but reliable. I’ve asked my girlfriend to open the package and everything is apparently there. I guess I’ll have a bright evening… :slight_smile:

Keep us posted! :santa:

Nice use of a 67mm lens cap to protect the front. Carrier can use a DSLR lens carrier.
And temperature graphs comparison with FF3, current measurements, etc…

Thanks for the link…you are radiant!

German guy with photos showing Polarion PH50 vs. the FF4.

Link in CPF: Fire Foxes IV FF4 | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

Received my FF F4 from Bill @ doingoutdoor.com. Excellent service as always from this seller. I know he’s banned and the reason, but I’d have to rate them as my number 1 supplier along with Fasttech.

Very impressive light. Wish I had a decent camera to show you beamshots, but alas I don’t. Great tint colour, somewhat messy beam pattern up close, but much brighter than my bright LED lights (Supfire X40, TM26, TN30, BTU CW…) and roughly similar throw to my eyes to the BTU, TN31.

I find the handle (battery tube) a bit short for a comfortable grip, but not a big deal. The only issue I have is a colour variation in the beam of this light. There’s a noticeable blue colour visible in the centre of the hotspot.

I have the same issue with a DX sourced 65W HID and an AliExpress sourced 85W one. (Basically same as ebay HID lights.). The 2 cheaper lights are much worse; it’s just barely noticeable on the F4.

Strange to me that I haven’t been able to find any mention of the issue Googling HID flashlights.

Anyone else noticed this?

No noticeable blue tint on my one.

How does it compare to your 85W HID- same? Less?

Hopefully as your bulb burns in the blue will lessen. Totally agree re handling- it’s odd shape makes it a little hard to properly grip. A handle would have been great on this light.

Regardless, great build and huge output.

No noticeable blue tint on my one.

How does it compare to your 85W HID- same? Less?

Hopefully as your bulb burns in the blue will lessen. Totally agree re handling- it’s odd shape makes it a little hard to properly grip. A handle would have been great on this light.

Regardless, great build and huge output.

Kinda agree the short body length is more difficult to hold but the positive tradeoff is that the light is as short as possible!

Mine starts up on a quite green tint, then very quickly turned less green, and then white (like the SRK), and then finally to a slight yellow, which I guess is 4300K where colour rendition seems to be at its best. The beam pattern is no doubt ‘messy’. There is slight orangey-red around the middle hotspot. Shining at white wall is blinding.

And for those who dreaded the ‘UI’, it is actually not a ‘problem’, but an intentional design consideration to only allow once 60W for each power on. Originally was one minute, now it’s 3 minute step down. Went to read the manufacturer’s thread at shoudian.

Well, finally I have my FF4, and my, it really is bright. At just a few seconds after start-up, it is already brighter than my TK41!
Unfortunately I don’t have a good camera, but I’ll try to give a cell phone shot if possible showing how it performs against my TK70. I thought my TK70 was bright and a far thrower, but this…one has to experience using one to really know and see, the difference. As Warmurf says, great build and huge, and I may add, far-throwing output.

Sorry for offtopic guys, will this NCR18650PD’s be better pick for BTU Shocker ( as well high drain) vs the protected Panasonic?

The design sketches earlier… anyone know what happened to the mount? Will it be available?

The front of FF4, realise that there are actually some grooves, like it was meant for some sort of a lens cover. Sure I would buy a 67mm lens cover.

May be wrong, but they are probably concentrating on building the lights first rather than the accessories. Be interesting to see who actually buys the extension tubes and handles. I would not get the handle without the ex’n tube as the handle would make the 4 not pocketable.

The ‘grooves’ are just the threads for the bezel. Funnily enough I used an old slip on type of lens cover that I had, after I melted a sweet wrapper in my pocket on the lens.

Go with the protected Pans, use of multiple unprotected cells need awareness of certain issues. The protected 3100A and 3400B are more than capable for the Shocker and a better alternative.

Hey guys, question for you, are you able to turn the FF4 off using the side button?

I haven't gone through this thread post by post, but have gone through Lip's thread, and can't find an answer.

As far as I can tell the UI is as follows;

1. Tailcap button to create circuit.
  2. Turn on light by using side button. Light turns on into 40W medium mode, takes ~10-20 seconds to stabilize.
  3. Short quick push on side button drops it to low mode ~2000 lumens.
  4. Another short push brings the light back up to medium.
  5. From low only, a longer push (2 seconds) will put the light into the 59W turbo mode.
  6. Light will go into temperature protection after about 3 minutes.
  7. Only way to turn the light off, is using tailcap button.

Considering how bright the light is, I really don't mind being able to only go into High once, but it's extremely annoying to have to use the tailcap to turn off the light every time.

Can one of you please confirm that this is the case?

Thanks, this forum is great :slight_smile: