Flash blind self defense effectiveness?

Lights in the face followed by the hardest kick you can muster to his nuts.

What if it’s a female attacker doe?

While I was playing around with an earlier version of my firmware I was adjusting moon by looking directly at it, it timed out at the very instant I pressed the E-switch and I put a few lumen in my face (triple XPL-HI on full boost). It was only for a very short time but I had troubles seeing for a awhile. Night vision was gone, I can tell you that.

Self defense will a blinding light kind of depends on the situation. If the threatening person is 10 meters away, it’s dark where you are and you have a 12000 lumen flashlight, the attacker might have troubles coming closer and looking at you at the same time. But what you gonna do, stand there and shine the light at the attacker all night? If you did manage to surprise the attacker and get a flash off in the eyes, then I’d reckon you’ve bought yourself a few seconds. It might be enough.

If its a female and you’re a female, you’re out of luck. The probability of a female physically attacking someone with the intent of robbing is very remote though.

If you are a male and the female is physically attacking you, I would like to think that any self respecting male should have no problems whatsoever disposing of any puny assault attempt the female would be able to muster.

What if it the attacker is Ronda Rousey having a bad trip and you’re just a fat flashlight nerd who sits on BLF all day?

Then he gets his ass kicked for being a fat flashlight nerd who sits all day on BLF :smiley:
Edit: With all the testosterone, hormones and the other crap that she is taking for competing at this level (every sport has it), she barely qualifies as a legit woman :slight_smile:

If a good looking woman attacks me I don’t resist!

Hi Men… and any ladies in attendance.

I want to thank Brian and those who responded. Apologies if anyone thought I was shilling for that particular light by posting a pic of it… I have a daughter going to college, so I just wanted to get a little info form the self-defence point of view.

We are going to go with something a little more decisive.

Cheers and thanks again.

At all times, stay sober and in a group of 4 or more, in well lit places not too quiet, away from bars, sorority, and frat houses.

The whole strobe thing is a joke…
IMHO a good long-running beacon mode is far more useful. Sadly few lights have it.

+1000!
you will get busted up and i will add the light to my collection.
same with those silly stunguns.

If you’re going to use a flashlight for self defense it’s going to need a few features. First it needs to fit the fist like a Kubaton and have a decent bezel for strikes. Second it needs to have some mass to follow though with those strikes. So I’m guessing a single cell 18650 or maybe a 26650. If it puts out any light that’s a bonus. If you’re looking to shine a light at a would be attacker you just put yourself two steps behind the curve. You’re looking to distract or blind the attacker has done nothing to his plan of attack. After playing the bright light hand it’s already past time to commit to a true defense. I’m old and already at a slight disadvantage so I carry a Glock 19 off duty with my departments blessing. Self defense is serious, gimmicks don’t belong. Predators pick easy or weak marks, if your not in this category your attackers probably is on drugs or mentally ill. So if your 20-45 and in good shape and average or bigger size and about to be attacked. Your in for the fight of your life you are not being robbed you are being assaulted death is a possibility. If not in that category then you might just be mugged, if female then don’t leave that decision to the attacker worse can happen.

I advise situational awareness. Don’t just know whats around you, know whats 100 feet away. If you feel somethings not right leave NOW and do a Crazy Ivan to see who is watching. Legally carry a weapon;gun, knife or pepper spray. Shinning a flashlight at a potential attacker is a distraction to your from whats about to happen. If you’re one or more of the three; Female, small, and/or over 50 use a gun, get training and carry legally. Because after the Thug has beat you senseless your are his.

If you think any of this is too harsh then you really haven’t considered the subject matter.

Amen, right on Texas Shooter, its better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6! :slight_smile:

It looks like the OP has decided to take a different path (good!) but if anyone still thinks that a bright or strobing light is a good or sufficient defense, I encourage you to try it yourself. Give the light to your spouse, girlfriend, or significant other and have them wander around. You get to play the attacker. Loser does the dishes (or whatever deal you can make! :wink: ). If you can get close enough to lay a hand on your victim, you win. I wouldn’t want anyone to test how effective getting clubbed with a flashlight is.

Just make sure that you don’t perform this test in public where a good Samaritan might come to your ‘preys’ defense or you could wind up in a world of hurt.

A very good read, SCS.
I’m surprised not many complaints about this.
This is an informative thread, for the most part. :wink:

Lateck,

It’s very informative. We emailed each other back and forth a few time about certain points. His article is geared towards law enforcement, he is a Dutch police officer working in Amsterdam. The Dutch and many other Law Enforcement Agencies in Europe work in pairs. Not at all like the single officer units in the United States. In fact at the time his officers were unarmed working in pairs making the contacts. The use of the lights served a few purposes; get his attention, reduce his night vision, illuminate the area and possible hide the other officers locations. One very clear point is that they are not approved or to be used as an impact weapon, no strike bezel. European officers are getting armed, it’s the new nature of Europe. So when police use flashlights to blind or disorient suspects, remember we already have a firearm, baton, radio, vest and it’s our duty/job to be there.

When I use a flashlight with a fairly to very drunk individual I’ll face them talk to get his attention and shine my light at him with my arm out. This tends to put a dot to one side of his vision. Fun to watch as they tend to do slow 360’s trying to get the dot in front to talk to. Very good on camera for a DWI stop. We like to put our spotlights on rear and side view mirrors to keeps us in the shadow. Second officer can actually walk up to the passenger side door unseen. Tends to keep us from getting shot if you can’t see us.

Law enforcement use of flashlights and a personal self defense use are not related. Bad guys don’t want cops nearby just their victim. If your the future victim and you’re defense strategy revolves around a flashlight you are already in a bind.

The following in importance to staying safe.
1.) BRAIN
2.) Situational awareness
3.) Have a plan if something happens and the will to follow through.
4.) Have a legal weapon, firearm, pepper spray. If pepper spray use the 2-5% yes they make a 12% but the high %’s tend to be inferior and sputter not spray.
5.) Practice, practice, practice.
6.) If you have to shoot or spray don’t be stingy keep dosing until the threat stops.