Flashlight explodes in man's mouth

Flashlight explodes in man's mouth

Link here.

Scary stuff. Interested to know what the cause was

He is a member on CPF.

We need to stop importing dangerous cells.

Do we really think this would have happened with reputable cells?
Should there be a law against dangerous chargers?

Maybe SS clones are not such a bad idea?

Maybe we should trust, that the batteries will catch on fire, like there name says?

Looks like it says www.solarforce.hk on it
I would like to know what kind of battery he was using. The tenergy in the video looks like another battery he owns, not one from the doomed light (most of us own more then one brand of battery)

Link to CPF discussion? I’ve heard of CR123A cells exploding while in use, but not the RCR123A cells the OP’s article claims were in use. Also heard of Li-Ions exploding under very very high drain conditions, but this seems a little odd.

Solarforce Explosion

I agree Bort. It’s a Solarforce L2T. There is an image gallery at the bottom of the article.

Thanks, i don’t know my solarforces, we need Foy

—Scroll through the images,
2x Tenergy RCR123A LifePO4—
beaten to it, need to type faster.

I wonder if he put in a partially discharged cell in with a fully charged one?
Not saying he did, just saying :wink:

Cheers David

Maybe it was an M&M light… melts in your mouth, not in your hand. :party:

Sure it wasn’t a uranusfire and it was mad that it was used on the wrong end?

Too soon?

:smiley:

Oh good…TexasPryo beat me to the punch :stuck_out_tongue:

Someone somewhere is going…“man those Texas guys are a-holes” :smiley:

Lithium cells are OK. Lights that use series connected cells are not… especially if they are not protected cells. Lights that use CR123 primary cells in series are probably the most dangerous lights there are.

Could have plunked a full battery and a almost dead battery into the tube…the massive current flow between the batteries as they try to self equalize = kablooey

Makes sense

If they were rechargeables…wonder if he just pulled em off the charger hot…tossed em in there and then turned it on?

Now, now… don’t use the a-hole word. The correct term is “rectally enhanced.”

Are 18650s in parallel safe to use, especially unprotected ones?

If they are balanced and charged as one battery sure…but eventually due to construction and internal differences they will drift in their performance and capabilities…when you get one that is way out of spec…the entire battery (multiple cells) will usually fail

So lights should not be used with batteries in parallel, or only until they are not new?

No…not at all…but they must be kept charged within a few tenths of a volt difference…if you drop some 4.16vdc batteries and then a 3.8vdc (a cell that has gotten weak for whatever reason) don’t be surprised if that 3.8~ gets warm due to the influx of current trying to equalize the potential between the higher voltage charged batteries

This is why keeping the cells balanced in charges/discharges and close to matched as possible