flashlight / torch

I don’t mind the moniker torch

but I have to ask

what do non-USA folks call a ‘real’ torch

I mean an actual Oxy-Acet, propane, mapp gas, etc. honest to goodness “torch”

a bloody flamer :bigsmile:

Uhuh a Ovlov D5 with a few tweaks. Quite funny that they are so rare in the state’s.

ovlov? volvo?

No it's taskulamppu (pocket lamp), just like Germans have Taschenlampe. But seriously it's flashlight, I'm not caveman.

Well… of course it’s…… Taschenlampe :beer:
couldn’t resist!

On a more serious note: I always think “caveman” when I hear torch so I use flashlight.

Uhuh. MY08 V50 D5 2.4l TDI by yank specs.
Remapped to 200+ ponies.

It has seen 140+ On the GPS too.

stock 96 saab 900se turbo seen about 145 and still going, had to slow down since there was a car infront of me and a car coming towards me and it was slightly wet out… so all in all it was a pretty stupid move on my part. but i was lucky to see more than 20mpg in that thing. id get around 24mpg with 87 octain, usually around 18mpg with 91/93.

Oxy acetylene - gas axe
Propane - blow lamp
Mapp gas - brazing set.

These all have a “torch” but we generally get the gist as to wether someone wishes to illuminate something or torch it……

Sorry 0:) brit humour, if we set something on fire, we torch it. :bigsmile:

Indeed, I believe you guys only got the petrol v8’s, possibly the sixes, shame as the diesels are frikken awesome.

Did you guys get Nissan patrols? I know we inflicted a few Landrovers on you, all I can do is apologise to the world for British Leyland, |( we were going through a bad time, look at the mini for example.

Potato

:smiley:

flash light = light on/ light off (flash light)

torch = fire (welding torch, torch the fort)

kinda simple no?

In the earliest days, the batteries were so poor that the light would only flash for a very short period of time. I guess Brits have short memories also, as it was a Brit that first invented them! :wink:

Only I-6’s I believe. I’m pretty sure we only get automatic tranny’s too. Would have loved a 5 speed. Seem’s like the US get’s everything watered down.

Doing it wrong!!
400bhp, 170+mph, 0-60 well under 5 secs, 40 mpg on a run, and it’s 24 years old and petrol, called a modified sierra cosworth running emerald K3 management, 2.0 16V turbo(S112).
Last engine did 200,973 miles before teardown, even 200K old thrusts are in new engine!!

Around here, “torch” is far too often associated with “pitchfork”, so the vernacular may be your Rubicon.

You may recall that the original “cells” (“batteries” to us heathens) wouldn’t carry the current through the hot wire for any appreciable time, so the early electric “torches” had Momentary-On switches so you could “flash” the “light” to catch a quick glimpse of whatever you needed to see, then go back to living in the darkness…

Now we have these expensive toys that flash incessantly for hours on end if you let them!

What has become of us??

I propose that we ALL commit to “torch” (it WORKS: “Pocket Torch”, “Belt Torch”, “Desk Torch”, see?), so as to forever extirpate the perverse desire among some very clever people to make the darned things BLINK!!!

But I’m Dim that way…

Maybe there is a better name for these handheld lights altogether. What do you guys think?Maybe illuminator?

Wastednihilist, I’m not going to quote again, there’s only so many times those pics need to appear….

By i-6, do you mean you only get the 2.8td? Not the 4.2? Man that sucks.

Money pit?