Foods that contain GMO

The argument is often “you can’t prove for sure that this does not happen, so you better be safe than sorry”. But to use this argument for very unlikely events (such as damage by GMO proteins to off-spring while you are fine yourself, mind that proteins that you eat are not quite stable in your body, they are digested and are then gone) is not a good idea, it kills off all new developments, both the good and bad ones, while we desperately need new stuff to fight the current challenges of our planet. The old stuff is not enough!

yup, the regular stuff from the grocery used to be organic, non GMO

I suppose some people see this and think of a delicious Pork Loin Dinner with Family:
GMO Pig is for Dinner…

I find it disturbing… to me it just looks wrong… in so many ways

The science is in on consuming foods containing GMOs.

Everyone on BLF has access to the internet, and the truth is out there™.

There are also plenty of lies on the internet, so you have to find a source with integrity, like the links I provided in this thread.

That pig looks very wrong indeed :open_mouth:

Yep, that's what I've heard.

I actually don't eat much meat very often, but I've always done that.

Thanos was right. We have too many people. Every time we improve food production we increase people production. We generally live just a little above the not enough food levels. People will gladly line up to be modified also, I would. In the future science will offer us small improvements. Want perfect vision your whole life? Extra set of teeth after your adult teeth wear done? Lower cholesterol? Reduced chance of cancer? Elimination of dementia? Better muscle retention as we age? Regrow a defective organ; heart, lung, pancreas. Want to be taller, prettier, smarter, stronger, faster, healthier, happier? When the benefits out weight the negatives people will line up paying good money for that edge. Either for themselves or for their children. GMO foods are a good starting point for the research started in these modification. So ask yourself what has been killing your relatives? Age, cancer, dementia, disease, alcohol? Would you take a treatment so this wouldn’t be your fate? Your kids struggling in school, want to give them an edge? So do GMO foods bother me, no their part of our future.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the gist of what you said, but do note that roundup/glyphosphate does not "persist" in the soil. If it did that could arguably be a benefit. It has a pretty short half life and does not migrate far or easily (although it has been found to travel a little farther in some situations and some misapplications than what used to be stated). I think part of the problem is the widespread broad application of gigantic plots of land. You can't do that indiscriminately, and since roundup was for a long time really effective and then became one of the cheapest options, that's what people did/used. When many plants became resistant to it (lots of Amaranth family plants plus many thistles and grasses) we had a big problem on our hands. Use something "worse" or....well hell, then we had the tech to do GMO and now look. But by and large, as far as herbicides go, roundup is one of the safer options, still. Other than the shift to applying it in such massive quantities in some places these days, one huge problem is the same as it has always been - misapplication/misuse. A lot of farmers are very intelligent and educated and conscientious...some aren't, and some are just careless for whatever reason (not the least of which is finances and staying in business/feeding themselves, too).

They are part of your future if you allow then to be. If we as a human race reject them, watch how fast they go away.

My grandparents lived on a farm of 160 acres. My parents lived in the city but had garden space on the farm. My Mom’s brother took over the farm.

They grew much of their own food. Root crops like potatoes and carrots plus others were stored over winter in the cellar. The potatoes were sorted through to remove any with cuts. In spring some had sections with the “eyes” cut and planted to start that years crop.

The cellar had a few different rooms. All dark and dank it seemed to me, but they stored lots of root crops. They also canned lots of vegatables and fruits through the later part of summer and into the fall. I remember green and yellow beans, peas, carrots, cut corn, tomatoes and tomato sauces. Canned in Mason jars. Lots of quarts and some pints. Fruits like peaches and pears that were bought in season by the case. Jellies and jams, many from raspberries and blackberries they grew. I remember picking chokecherries and them canning jams from those. And crabapples.

The cellar also had a section for home brew beer and wine. When I was a kid we had lots of Italian neighbors; lots of wines. I recall helping with constructing concrete tubs for grape crushing. And yes, grapes were crushed by foot.

Back to grandparents and what people used to eat. Grandparents and my Mom, made saurkraut in crocks. I still do.

They even canned some chicken and I recall canned pigs feet. Headcheese! Made from a pigs head, no actual cheese. Home cured hams hanging in the cellar.

Grains were grown and trucked into town to the mill. They had a couple of cows. Milk was used as a major food group. There was a manually operated “separator” that separated the cream from the milk. Most of the cream was sold to the creamery in town. Sometimes butter was churned on the farm.

Ice cream! I remember cranking my arm nearly off, and what seemed like the world’s best ice cream. Vanilla flavor made with eggs.

Ate a lot of eggs.

There were bins or sacks of store bought flours and sugar, oatmeal, barley for soups in a storeroom off the kitchen. Raisins and currants bought in big tins.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Great story.

Too late for me. I take cholesterol and blood pressure meds. I willingly took antibiotics on a lung infection. I use deodorant. I also got vaccinated for Chovid-19 and the flu. My fate is sealed.

That small old farm was sold a long time ago and is now part of a very large farm that grows sugar beets.

I try to eat well —- all the mentioned above and even no aluminum deodorant —but then I’ll work on a mower /truck etc get oil and grease on my hands then use solvents to clean them —- we do what we are comfortable with —it’s our choice

BTW — that Arnold looking pigs looks messed up —- I’ll bet he’s getting all the action

I feel pretty stupid to ask, what are sugar beets? I have had beets before. Never heard of sugar beets.

Sugar beets have more of a cone shaped lower half and are a pale white. They are very high in sucrose not really for eating. Raw they taste slightly bitter and a little sweet. Kind of like eating a raw potato with a little sugar sprinkled on it. They do make a great sugar source. If you’ve never had one try it. I’ve found them at a farmers market. Young ones grated into a salad adds some wonderful bitter flavors really nice with blue cheese dressing.

Well — All this talk about Pork — I had to do it ——- I cooked bone in Pork Chops 2” thick indirect heat on my weber kettle — I used real wood charcoal with a electric starter that way I’m half good

I get a kick out of a friend of mine —he buys grass fed beef and grills it over Kingsford (asphalt briquets)

Yes, that is what a sugar beet is. Well, I am wrong about the sugar beet factory. The factory that made sugar from the sugar beets has closed. No real idea what the old farm is used for now. I remember visiting the factory many years ago and seeing sugar being made. Not nearly as much fun as visiting/touring the old Frontier brewery.

My concern about GMOs is lack of accountability/regulation/objectivity in research and other effects like reduction of species diversity - this makes crops very vulnerable to disease when they’re all the exact same species/variant.

Way, way too many incidents of food and chemical companies knowing they are doing something harmful for the sake of profits and willfully covering it up. That doesn’t mean I think the harm necessarily comes from eating the GMOs themselves, but I also have concerns over what it is doing to the overall trajectory of food production (and independence) for many nations.

Patents on specific DNA profiles is frightening. I think a line was crossed (or more like obliterated) with that in regards to public interest for an absolutely essential resource for people’s survival. Same thing with privatized water resources too though.

Yep, too many companies will do almost anything for profit.

And if they do something bad, they usually try to cover it up.

It can be interesting when the coverup is exposed, but it's disturbing how commonplace it is.

Wow, you just described the life in which I grew up. Not the part with the beer and wine because my parents were teetotalers, but all the rest. We were in Minnesota and hunted for a goodly amount of our meat. Grey Squirrels, Cottontail rabbits, grouse, waterfowl and of course—in the Land of 10,000 Lakes—fishing was huge.
My wife and I still live that way to a degree but I wish I’d payed better attention to the details when my mom was working her magic in the pantry.