Foods that contain GMO

Oh yeah! I somehow forgot the deer and occassional elk. Turkey and prairie chicken. Ducks and geese. Fishing in a river you could swim in and see fish in there.

thank you for helping me be more accurate

I had some doubts about how long Glyphosate persists, because in the back of my mind, I could not reconcile why wheat needed to be sprayed to kill the harvest… If the Glyphosate from the last harvest had persisted, the new crop would not have grown (talking non GMO wheat, without the Roundup Resistant gene.)

So, I think you are correct, Glyphosate does not persist for years, just months…

here is a snip of a quick google…

“The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) indicates that the half-life of glyphosate, the main chemical in Roundup weed killer, in soil ranges from 3 to 249 days.”

Im actually more concerned about the Glyphosate in our food, than on our soil. And the clever way producers are able to claim Non GMO, for wheat that was sprayed with Roundup, to kill and fast dry the harvest… The wheat is Non GMO, but the crop has roundup sprayed on it, at harvest… hmmm…

whats worse,
a roundup resistant gene for a crop that gets sprayed with Roundup, or a non GMO crop sprayed with Roundup…

devil and the deep blue sea
either way, if its not Organic, Roundup is in our cereal.

I never check for the GMO label when shopping, maybe I should pay more attention.

Have we not been genetically modifying food for thousands of years?

GMO for caterpillar resistance, means taking a gene from Bacilus Thuringensis (a bacteria, that is sold as a white powder to apply to the leaves of plants. when caterpillars eat the white powder, they die), and inserting it into the genetic code of corn, in a way that causes the corn to produce the toxin that kills caterpillars.

that is different than Selectively Breeding Corn, by crossing and growing the biggest ones that taste best, and yield most… That is not the same because we are crossing corn with corn, through traditional natural processes of pollination…

GMO involves actually adding a new Foreign gene from a different species altogether… it is not about selection, in which we promote the features we like, that were already there, we are implanting the genes of a bacteria, into the genes of corn.

===
grey areas and overlaps… natural mutations, breeding, and gene editing (not adding a foreign gene, just turning off one that is already there)

natural mutation, a cow that does not produce the hormone that limits muscle growth, myostatin
https://owlcation.com/agriculture/Super-Cow

used for human consumption

same myostatin suppression, but caused by human gene editing:
https://www.nature.com/articles/523013a

so far, not approved for human consumption

a human born with the mutation that suppresses myostatin, causing “double muscle”

so far I cant sign up to have my genes edited to grow muscles like Arnold…

Yeah...it's a mess and kind of a shocking trend. I think on the half life I remember seeing figures closer to the lower end of the middle there, but all of that depends on many factors. At this point to me, I think it's being really misapplied and overused to where something that was "safe" (so to speak and all things considered) is now something of a minor threat and ubiquitous. The politics of finance always seem to have too much sway in things that should otherwise be straightforward and we have so many examples where science/facts/prudence have been trumped by dollar-interests. I just can't believe we're doing it with Food. Of all things....it's just stupid.

Also...of your three myostatinous photos...only one of them is going to fit in a crockpot. :)

I don’t touch the stuff (knowingly) and NEVER will.

Once again its MAN playing with fire and don’t kid yourself, its all for money
You’re in some fantasy la la land if you think this experiment won’t have long term repercussions.

Its the same with a lot of these man-made experiments……its all safe until the SHTF
Sometimes its years before enough evidence can be proven from those that cannot be bought or silenced. And sometimes those impacts are for generations or forever. Everything from:

- asbestos - remember seeing a polition eating a small amount to get his point across that’s its safe on a news/current affair program in the 70’s…

- Smoking - look at all the BS the tobacco companies have been pushing and still push in 3rd world countries as most 1st world countries are switched on the know its not good for you

- DDT - was used as a weed killer in the orchards for years until finally enough evidence said its highly cancerous

- Agent Orange (US Gov & Monsanto) - its so good at de-forestation and even better at altering your genes so that all your offspring will continue to suffer from cancer side affects. Needless to say its now banned

- COVID - look at what happened here after man was playing with gene technology that will leave a lasting issue forever with the virus constantly mutating and therefore needing a constant change in vaccines …a boon for some other than the general population

• industrial farming of fish, animals, cerials, bees being pushed and exported around the planet - all introducing/spreading crop disease and making it unsustainable for the small player/farmer to make a living as scale/cheap cost wins over quality

The same will happen with GMO products…depending on what “MAN” introduces as a foreign body to be spliced into the plant/animal gene that will never occur naturally will depend on the severity of the repercussions - new bacteria, viruses, impacts on our food sources and our own bodies these or upstream food chain supplies or what 3rd party product (poison) they can spray that ultimitly ends up in our own systems.

Trouble with GMO plants, is they end up cross breeding with GMO FREE plants that then pollutes the GMO free stock - corn is a prime example where its got the potential to infect 100’s of natural GMO free strains across central and southern America.

Short answer is: GIVE ME NATURALLY OCCURING AND GMO FREE FOOD ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! :slight_smile: :wink:

In other news...

I think I have a nut allergy.

People are nervous about GMO food because it contains engineered nuclear acid called DNA but are completely OK with COVID vaccines which also contain engineered nuclear acid called RNA. While DNA in GMO food cannot survive the food processing (DNA will be denatured by many things like heat) or your digestion system (will be completely destroyed) but made people really annoyed. However, the same group of people are very excited to have RNA directly injected into their blood circulation. Interesting.

Folks it’s always about money. If you live somewhere where every thing is free and available then money is not the problem. Our real problem is that we have far too many people to stay supported on this little planet. If we had half as many people we would be in better shape to not have to squeeze every ounce out of the land. We have had good chances to lessen the population with cancer, starvation, disease. But no someone throws a bunch of money at the “problem” and next thing there’s a solution. This isn’t really the forum for virtue signalling. But as far as a debate will go never say it’s “all about the money”. In a complex world that statement means I’m not really sure of every aspect to consider so I’ll buzz word it. We live in a world that needs constants and few radical variants. Will the crops give us 90+ each year or will one year only give us 25 due to disease, pest, poor policies and drought. That equal starving/dead people. Isolated China in the 1959-1961 had believed 15-55 million starve to death and 40 million failed to be born. I’m not too naive. I realize that science will save us as in the case of Covid-19 from the science that created Covid-19. So the science that allows us to breed 7.9 billion people will be the same science that gives us GMO’s. So until you are willing to give up all medicine and let large groups starve here and there to let nature go back to balance. You are not a purist in the evil money, GMO arena. I take pills and eat GMO’s. I work and invest in for money. I hate cancer, it’s killed a few friends. I get vaccinated from big pharmaceutical companies. I support big oil every time I drive. I support big energy every time I pay my utility bill. On the flip side I have a garden that is mostly natural. I have solar supplementing my electricity.

In your/or everyone’s genome, only <10% DNA are genes and most of them are “junk DNA”. Among these “junk” half are transposable elements which were derived from millions of virus or other things throughout the human history. And some of these transposable elements in your genome can still actively copy & paste themselves nowadays. That says your genome is keeping changing all the time. For example, when you were infected by an virus, it may have the potential to insert into your genome and became the part of you. It happens all the time and to everybody. And every virus has their genome in the form of either DNA or RNA, and they don’t go through your digestion system at all.

It is not only about money. The reality is that traditional food cannot supply the current population on the earth at all. Another reality is that more than 90% all corn and soybeans are GMO which are used to produce most of oil and other products. It is almost impossible to completely avoid GMO. Maybe Thanos Snap can solve the problem.

Most (informed people) aren’t concerned about the DNA itself, but the consequences of crops being engineered to produce their own insecticides, animals with increased hormone production etc. With the amount of data on health issues related to insecticides and herbicides on food crops and hormones and antibiotics in animal produce that’s not a contradictory or unwarranted concern IMO.

There is currently far more enough food, water, etc. to support the entire human population. The issue is massively skewed consumption and waste by the population of the “developed world” and distribution (more accurately, lack thereof) to those in most dire need. With how tied into the fiduciary economy of these developed nations food prices are, there must be a massive economic restructuring before this issue can be solved.

There has also been a concerted effort to suppress food independence across the world for the benefit of a number of the world’s largest economies, which has massively exacerbated the issue.

This pretty much summarizes my concerns. History has proven over and over that corporations will do whatever is most profitable, including legal poisoning of literally everyone (leaded gasoline) or illegal things for which the fines are dwarfed by the profits produced. GMO on its own isn’t bad, but I worry what the next Teflon or leaded gasoline will be.

For what it’s worth, GMO can be very good! Enhancing the viability of crops more efficiently through GMO might be better than the selective breeding we’ve done for a very long time that already produced the same results. And also, some crops are ravaged by new diseases: I read an article about curing the plague on oranges, using a spinach gene, and the summary was “soon you’ll be drinking GMO orange juice or you won’t be drinking orange juice at all”. Of course lack of biodiversity is an issue whether something is GMO or not, and was already becoming an issue before GMOs. Pesticide and fertilizer use is concerning for the environment. Mass-agriculture often has large CO2 emissions, but organic /etc. often has human exploitation issues with things like migrant laborers doing weeding, picking bugs off crops, and harvesting.

There’s issues with basically anything you buy these days, And unfortunately I don’t always have the economic agency to choose options that may be better if they’re also more expensive. There’s also pretty much tradeoffs with every choice and I don’t claim to know what the right choices are. Many choices eventually come to political, philosophical, or moral issues! But I don’t think it’s wrong or controversial to prompt everyone to at least think about these things. Whatever you think the best way is, I encourage you to support that whether it be with your vote, wallet, or other responsible (i.e. Legal and ethical) manner.

I agree, fear of the unknown is a legitimate fear.

Those pictures are so photoshoped its not funny.

I totally agree with you that usage of insecticides, hormone and antibiotics in the food industry is a far more serious issue but this thread is about GMO. But I don’t agree that organic food by itself is sufficient to supply the human population. Also with more than 90% of corn and soybeans are GMO, most foods actually contain products or derivatives from GMO corn/soybean . Yes you can buy organic food but you can only use olive oil (at least now) for cooking as all others including canola and cotton are mostly from GMO. You probably have to drink only water because dextrose and corn syrup exist in most drinks. And how many choice you will have for takeout and dine-out?

So these things/abnormalities were completely non-exist before GMO was invented?

What I said above is just a simple truth about human genome and you can easily google these information by yourself.

I don’t like GMO either but I concern more for overuse of hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, etc. These things may have much better chance to pass through your digestion system than DNA.

And GMO can be extremely dangerous, i.e., the covid, you can google Furin Cleavage Site and gain-of-function and make your own judgement

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority here, but I don’t stress out about GMO/organic, rather I try to eat in moderation. Although I agree there is a difference between the more natural genetic influence people make and the lab modifications that can be done these days, I don’t feel that GMO’s inherently are bad. Like anything else, certain modifications can have unknown consequences, but I trust that the vast majority of the foods available for us to eat are generally safe.

I do think people need to consider that a lot of the foods we eat today are in some way genetically modified. Chickens were never as big as they are today. Corn is a grass. Just look up “domesticated vegetables” and the differences are even starker than the cow and pig pictures above. We all enjoy these foods as if they are natural, but nature didn’t create any of them, humans did.

I’m in no way saying GMO’s are blank check innocent, but I also believe they shouldn’t be vilified as they often are.

With all that said, is it just me or is it always the little old lady that drinks 3 Dr. Pepper’s a day and laughs at everything always the person that’s 110yrs old and still enjoying life?