Forward or reverse clicky that can handle up to 20A?

Are there switches suitable for flashlight usage that can handle up to 20A without burning up?
Also, what thickness of wires should I use for that kind of current? I’m guessing I’ll have to go with about AWG 16?

Toffy’ switch is rated at 10A but it’s VERY expensive for a switch. Personally I run the large square Omten’s / Kan28’s for my super high power builds. I’ve had them up over 11A and they’re only $2. You’ll have to decide which is worth it for you.

For that kind of current 18AWG should be enough. I think a lot of people here seem to think 22AWG is only good for a few amp’s and that’s just not the case, I have personally seen 22AWG wire carry 13.5A and regularly use it in builds upwards of 7-10A. Very rarely do you actually need to even use 18AWG, I really doubt you’ll ever find/build a light that needs more than 18.

I have Tofty switches in lights up to 16A. No problems to date.

I also have Omtens with spring bypasses running as high as 12A. No problems, but some concern that they’ll fail. The switches themselves seem capable, the springs can’t handle the heat of those high loads. Bypassing the springs with a 22ga wire inside the coil changes everything.

Thanks for the tips. Have sent PM to Tofty and will order a bunch of Omtens.

I tested a couple of switches recently, including a somewhat bigger switch from ebay that handled at least 16A fine:

Toftys switches.

Perhaps it might be better to put the driver in the tailcap and use a momentary switch?

I remember seeing a mosfet switch that could handle 20A, might not be ‘budget’ though…
Give me a minute and I’ll find a link :slight_smile:

Custom Oshpark board with two FET’s in parallel?

You know, you could be on to something there!

Here is the link to the switch I had in mind, cant believe it was back in 2011 what happened? Ah, I remember now, I’ve got kids!

I use omtens all the time and I will melt wires and springs before they die. I have killed them though. They can be beefed up to handle more current. I found that out when trying to fix them.

I read in djozz thread that there are small and large omtens. I can only seem to find one kind, rated at 1.5A.
Is the 1.5A (sold for example on Mountain Electronics) the small one? If so, where can I find the large one?

Edit: Found two types of omten switches here: http://intl-outdoor.com/components-switches-c-57_116.html
They seem to be rated the same though.

Yeah, we have pondered the MOSFET high power momentary latching, problem is, it will take an external powersource such as a small button cell Li Ion to activate the MOSFET, they have much smaller button cells besides the 2032 for sure

CR1220 is 12mm diameter

However, that guy did it…doesn’t mean we can’t :wink:

Even found a SMD battery holder

I wonder if this dual N channel MOSFET would work
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv7=2&pv612=2689&pv69=3&FV=fff40015%2Cfff80346&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

or this one
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv7=2&pv612=5205&pv69=3&FV=fff40015%2Cfff80346&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

The large one is the one we all use if we use them at all.

I used the thinner version of the 2032 the CR2016 on my PT54 TR1200 builds on the tape and standard switch. On my green PT120 maglite was able to use no external power source and incorporated everything into the massive copper heat sink. All that was required for both was a mosfer and a bleed resistor.
BTW… Being a cheap bastard I buy all my lithium coin cells at the “Dollar Store”