Found a Trustfire Z3 zoomie that looks promising

I'm looking for a zoomie for a friend and this seems to fit the bill. He wants 18650 and bright. Also, it's from a name we can sort of trust (seriously.. no pun intended, haha). Hopefully the dud is a rare event and not the result of cheap manufacturing. I always wonder if these zoomie lights sell enough to command the same level of workmanship other popular budget lights are given or if they're too gimmicky for that.

Only difference with a zoomie is the front lens and the screw that moves it back and forward. The rest of the flashlight is about the same as for a non-zoomie.

I have the TrustFire Z3 and the UltraOK 7W WS-Q5.

I bought both from ebay seller "cyberport888" (Z3 listed as Z13)

To compare:

UltraOK 7W WS-Q5

- has far brighter and more narrow throw

- white light

- 3 modes (hi/low/strobe)

- most compact zoomable 18650 Q5 flashlight I know of

- tailstands

- a killer for the money

Could not find it from cyberport888 anymore, here is it for $9.99 from topofking:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoomable-7W-7-Watt-CREE-LED-Flashlight-Torch-18650-V5-/110719905504?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c76baee0

TrustFire Z3 (XM-L T6)

- brighter and wider flood, but not by a wide margin.

- blueish tint

- 5 modes (hi/medium/low/strobe/SOS)

- slightly bigger and heavier, feels sturdier, more well built and the turning zoom feels solid

- uses 18650 with adaptor tube (diameter is 22 mm, could probably take a 22650 battery. A 22600 would probably also fit, the springs inside the torch seem to be able to compensate for the shorter length)

- tailstands, but not 100% level as switch protrudes slightly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350488841041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

To summarize: Both lights have their pros and cons, but the differences are quite minor. Considering the Trustfire Z3 cost me about 3x as much as the UltraOK, the UltraOK is giving a lot more value for the money. That said, now that I have it, the Z3 is now my preferred bicycle light because of the wider/brighter flood.

First post, hope this helps. :)

Welcome to BLF! :)

Can you give us links to UltraOK?

Viktor

Sure, couldn't find it from cyberport888 anymore, but this is the exact same torch from topofking for $9.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoomable-7W-7-Watt-CREE-LED-Flashlight-Torch-18650-V5-/110719905504?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c76baee0

Also updated my post above with links. :)

It's a likeable zoomie but the internals are very poor. The pill is hollow drilled through aluminium only. A bit underdriven also, a Q3 -Q5 low bin emitter, bad transmittance lens and not very wide flood. The switch is also press fit.

Hestinking should to be improved. Rough instructions here.

A better lens would be awesome but i have not find any suitables around. Lens is o-ringless and usually rattlle (did on 2 or my samples).

great comparison, thank you.

Now, how hard will it be to mod a neutral emitter into this Trustfire Z3, anyone?

Or you can get it with the clip going the other direction :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-CREE-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Zoom-ZOOMABLE-7-Watt-VS03-/120730064197?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c1c129545

Isn't the RC-C8 well thought of, then? Been on my future-purchase list for a while now, and much cheaper than the Z3: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-c8-cree-q5-wc-3-mode-210-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-3-aaa-55750

Did I miss an unfavourable review?

I just ordered the Trustfire XM-L T6 Z3 (that the above post is about), with two 18650 batteries, AC charger, car charger, tube for 18650 battery, and a holder for 3 AAA batteries, for $37.33 US. The only bad part is that the batteries are Ultrafire, instead of Trustfire. I think most people think that Trustfire batteries are better. But at the very least, I have the two chargers and an extra battery.

BTW, here is the link for that package.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-In-Out-1000-LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Aluminum-Flashlight-Torch-2x18650-Charger-/120785628894

I'll post a review, when mine comes in (between 3/2 and 3/14).

Looks like same shell/casing, but different internals. Romisen RC-C8 has Q5 emitter whereas the Z3 has the XM-L T6 etc. Or perhaps thats what you meant? :)

I have noticed that my Trustfire Z3 seems to require a flat-top battery (like AW 2900 mWh 18650) to work well. The button top batteries don't seem to make a good connection.

The Romisen RC-C8 is a good little zoomie flashlight. The minor problem is that it's one-mode: on. Well, two modes if you count OFF.

The major problem with the RC-C8 is that it uses a CR123A battery, which is a weak power supply. It runs the flashlight for 20 minutes or so, then suddenly turns itself off because the battery voltage has fallen to 2.8V and needs to be charged back up to 4.2V with one of those cheapo Chinese plug-in wall chargers.

Totally different light. I do like the clip option though.

@Jenab6:

"The Romisen RC-C8 is a good little zoomie flashlight. The minor problem is that it's one-mode: on. Well, two modes if you count OFF."

Now I'm really puzzled . This is the spec as listed by DX; multi-mode and three different battery configurations (though it wouldn't be the first time DX listed faulty info) Did Romisen make different versions of this light?

Brand: Romisen
Model: RC-C8
Casing Color: Black
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree
Emitter BIN: Q5-WC
Color BIN: White
Total Emitters: 1
Battery Configurations: 1*18650/2*CR123A/3*AAA battery (Batteries not included. Battery adapter included)
Voltage Input: 3.0~8.0V
Switch Type: Clicky (Clickie)
Switch Location: Tail-cap
Modes: 3
Mode Memory: -
Mode Arrangement: Hi > Mid > Fast Strobe
Circuitry: Digital Regulated 800mA Current Output
Brightness: 210 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
Runtime: 40 minutes (manufacturer rated)
Lens: Plastic Convex Lens
Reflector: Plastic Smooth Reflector
Special Features: Slide the bezel to change beam pattern between flood and throw. Twist the bezel out for rectangle, Twist the bezel in for circular
Strap: Included

When is a zoom light most useful?

To me, the whole purpose of a zoomie is to have something that you can have with you, when you don't expect to need a flashlight. If you don't expect to need a flashlight, how can you possibly know if you will want a flood or a spot, should you find that you require a flashlight?

I was out walking the other evening and I was using my Redline zoomie on low power, in flood mode, just to illuminate the path in front of me. I decided to take a shortcut across the golf course, to get home and about half way across, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. I twisted the light to full zoom, switched it to high power and pointed it in the direction of the motion, just in time to see three deer crossing the golf course. When the beam hit them, two of them stopped and looked at the light. I was glad that I had a zoomie.

BTW, it's also a zoomie that can fit in my pocket. I'm replacing it with a T/F Z3 (about the same size), as soon as the new one comes in from China.

I have one right here. It turns on. It turns off. Nice. But it's only one mode. Either the ad is wrong or there's more than one kind of RC-C8.

Ah, I see! That last post is your first mention of Romisen RC-C6; previously you've been referring to it as 'RC-C8'. Two completely different lights. Puzzle solved..

Those are different lights that Romisen makes (of many more)

and also, Shiningbeam.com has custom models (brighter emitter and different driver) for a lot of the Romisen lights

So it's easy to get confused if that's not specified clearly.