FREEME ✌ ASTROLUX FT03S SFH55 9300lm & FT03 SFT40 2200lm 1300m NarsilM v1.3 USB-C - ALIVE

Tracking Number: 92612927005044000050326818
On Time
Expected Delivery on
TUESDAY :+1:
APRIL

Status
In-Transit
April 15, 2019 at 11:06 am

Arrived at Post Office

PHOENIXVILLE, PA 19460 :sunglasses:

Is a current boost even possible/worthwhile with the SST-40 considering ALL the concern about too much amps?

My guess is NO.

The FT03 is already a hotrod light in stock form, and the amps I get from 8.5 to 9.1/9.3 with good cells is in theory at the peak for the SST-40. I changed the springs to single w/20 AWG bypasses, but that's all, and I think it bumps amps but slightly. The stock dual springs do pretty good.

Swapping in a 3V XHP50.2 is an interesting option for this light - lose some throw but nice bump in lumens. For this you might want to swap the FET and go with 18 AWG wires. Amps could hit 19 like what I've gotten on other 3V XHP50.2 mods.

Are you going to try that in one of your lights? I am interested in how much throw you will lose and how much MORE heat there will be w/ such little mass and lack of heat fins to begin with?

Off to work…………after a few days w/ my light[arrives tomorrow] I am going to figure out what my Final mods will be OR may just keep as is,but unlikely since I have the “Disease of more”!

Is there anyone in the UK that can dedome the LED for me?

Getting heat off the MCPCB undoubtedly improves the lifespan of the emitter. It would seem a devil’s exchange to keep the light more comfortable in hand by isolating more heat at the emitter. If the light gets too hot to hold, it’s a good time to back off. Still, these emitters don’t mind being warm, so I don’t know where the balance lies.

I would not make current mods to this light, but some of you have and perhaps you are the explorers that can tell us when the emitter blows :wink: . From what we’ve seen so far, the single FET might be the only thing preventing a fiery death. Bear in mind that koef’s SST-40 test suggested an optimal maximum of 7.4A, and failure occurred at 9.4A. 8-8.5A is probably a much safer region of operation.

At present, the best way to replace a neutral white SST-40 is to order another FT03 and wait until someone gets stock.

I’d like to see someone’s 3V XHP50.2 swap, but I bought this light for its throw while maintaining a somewhat useful beam width. A bright flooder simply creates a wall of light if there’s any moisture in the air and I’ve never found a purpose for pencil beams that travel a mile as I can’t see that far without a telescope :wink: . From the beamshots I’ve seen, the stock light probably does what I want; a brighter XM-L in a relatively large reflector.

For me, this light is a giant C8 (or poor man’s MF02), but it’s a tradeoff as the FT03 is too large to holster (yes, I’ll like the light anyway). I wanted the extra oomph, however, and at this price it seemed like a good upgrade. I’ve bought C8F’s, but they were gifts for others. Single-emitter C8’s are a great size for carrying or holstering, have good throw, are cheap, and have tons of parts still available. They perhaps best represent the soul of the Budget Light Forum.

:question: Question: I’ve noticed that many of you have had tracking information. Did you pay extra for this? My light claims to be shipped, but the page says no tracking is available. I don’t recall whether Banggood offers tracking by default or not.

BTW, the FT03 “Pre-Order” count is back up to 93 :slight_smile: .

Is the popping/cracking thing something I need to fix? I just got mine today and it also does the popping thing. I don’t really have any experience modding lights though and I’m worried I’ll break it.

Edit: Also is it just me or is the wrist strap way too small? It literally won’t fit over my hand

No - by default BG ships with no tracking. I ordered one this way and already rdcv'd it.

koef's testing shows output still rising at 8.5 amps - so I don't understand how 7.4 A is optimum - this goes against my very nature - stopping short of max output .

Look'n at the output curves I see nothing special at 7.4 amps - makes no sense to me.

I NEVER paid for tracking and I received it, See post #2021

Mine came today. Does anyone notice the lens gets a circular cloudy circle in the center when run on turbo in the cold. It goes away as the lens cools. Doesn’t seem to do it inside in the warm.

Mine gets the cloudy circle too. Except I got mine inside as well. Thought it was a lens defect at first

Stick a package of silica and close it, if there is humidity it will be gone in the morning…

I got mine today not bad been like 9 days since i paid for it.

Thanks, I will give it a try overnight.

Yes please ,interested

It’s not just you.

The wrist straps Astrolux ships with their low-priced lights are absolutely worthless (I don’t know if they ship with the pricier models). I bought a BLF A6 just before Christmas and it came with one. The tiny cord that connects to the light is frayed and near failure after just a few uses. However, it’s partly my fault as I “tested” it one night by spinning the light around on the cord a few times. I suspected this would damage it, but better to find out now than in some situation where I might lose or damage the light.

I understand that brands like this do everything they can to cut costs, but just adding 2 inches of cord onto this strap would allow it to fit over most people’s hands. My hands are rather small for a male, yet this strap only fits onto my wrist with serious effort. Even kids couldn’t fit this strap over light gloves.

Also, the snap on my strap would not snap when I received it. I took the strap apart, ran the small cord through the holes of the A6, and re-installed the receiver (prevents the cord from interfering with tail standing). I then shaved flash and other bits of plastic off the snap until it would actually snap. Even if the strap were long enough to fit over an average hand, you could not trust the snap or receiver to stay together if placed under any strain at all.

Basically, you throw this strap in the garbage and add your own. It’s a waste of money and resources to include them in the box. I bought some Sofirn C8F’s for Christmas gifts a few months ago and the wrist straps for those are much better. Astrolux/Mateminco should find their supplier.

With some basic hardware, you can build a much longer, stronger strap and I’m pretty sure there’s a photo of a custom strap somewhere in this thread.

I don’t know if freeme is still sending out codes to interested folks, but there’s a public code in the first post of this thread that currently works for the Cool White version. See this post for more info.

Note that you can also order this light from AliExpress as it’s also known as the Mateminco MT35 Mini. That page claims to stock both versions and it’s only $6 more than the public coupon.

I don’t think anyone here has actually received an MT35m from the AliExpress store, but in theory it could arrive before an order placed at Banggood as BG currently claims a Cool White ship date of May 9 and aren’t even accepting orders for Neutral White.

Oh, and my order initially reported “Shipped” on 4/11, but now claims that it actually shipped 3 days later on 4/14. This is in line with other reports in this thread. I don’t care when it ships or arrives as other people deserve their light before I get mine, but I do dislike Banggood for intentionally lying about this; they apparently want customers to think their item is in the mail when it’s not.

I’m open to other explanations. I’m also aware that this is one of Banggood’s lesser flaws :wink: .

Edit: I still have no tracking info, but the expected delivery date is 5/07. If shipped, it should arrive well before then.

Mine is unglued and appears to be from the first 500 batch if the numbers on the box mean any thing?

Ah yes, meant to mention mine is also unglued. Don’t know if it’s make number, but I’ve got “Natural White 0328” on the bottom.

Anyone know if there’s a particular drama in putting a 20mm MCPCB in this? Or will it just “float” a bit?