✌ FREEME- ASTROLUX MF01 Mini 7*SST20 CRI95 26650 ANDÚRIL Flashlight Group Buy - $45.99

Hmm I never actually modified these lights so I’m a little hesitant , not sure I will do it right. I had the tc20 until recently but returned it as I currently have the mhvast ts70 which is basically identical in almost every way. You are saying to slice off the dome off the led? It will be throwier? Will there still be some flood or will it just all turn into throw? How difficult is de-doming the led there? Does the entire dome have to be cut off or only a portion of it? Maybe practice on a cheaper light first? Thanks

I might go for it and get one out of curiosity but the laymen’s perception of the absence of a large reflector is telling me it should be more like E07. Throwier optics might do the trick I guess. Worth a try. Thanks

Pretty pretty…
@freeme: can you get us coupons for the new MF01 Mini editions and the box alone?

See my earlier post showing the MF01 mini out throws the TC20 by about 100 meters. At least according to factory specs.

Wish someone had both to actually test in the field but I might pull the trigger then on the mini on faith. Thanks!!

Have you seen some evidence of that? According to Vinh Acebeam seriously overrates K75. And even if it didn’t this would still not match the latest Osrams.

Dedoming a xhp70.2 is not too hard. See here.

If you damage the led you can buy a new one. You do need to be able to solder so you can take the led out of the flashlight. If you can’t solder, I suggest learning as it will help you out in the long run.

The flood light or spill light you see in a reflector based light is all the light that doesnt bounce off the reflector. It is light that comes directly from the front. See the blue lines here.

This direct light will not change at all, except for being a little bit dimmer.

Here is the principle of the dome. They increase lumens, but sacrifice luminance in the process. You want more luminance for more throw, so a little sacrifice in lumens might be okay.

You may or may not like the result. You will definitely see an increase in throw, though. I have only done one sliced dome myself on a xhp70. You can see the difference in the hot spot size in this comparison photo.

You can clearly see the hot spot diameter has shrunk and the intensity has increased. I can’t remember what the percentage of throw I gained, but it was noticable. It is pretty common knowledge here that you gain throw by dedoming or slicing the dome off.

Are you comparing apples to apples? Your E07 has the SST-20 emitters?

The SST-20 has quite a small die. Smaller than the xpl-hi and nichia options on the E07. This smaller die gives a tighter beam pattern and more throw.

I’m just guessing, mate. I don’t really keep up with these things. I know the CFT-90 was quite the led, but only if driven very hard. I’m only looking at LEDs above 3000 or so lumen since that is what Cloud was asking about. Does Osram making anything better? I only know about their smaller leds.

BTW, have you seen any reviews of the K75, maybe Vinh’s opinions? I have not played much attention to the K75.

Thanks a lot Jason. I will look further into this ( dedoming). I believe my e07 are Cree XPL hi V3s.

So far I’ve seen the K75 measure between 4000 to 5500 lumens, mine being the lowest at 4000 lumens turn-on :weary: This is much lower than the specified 6300 lumens.

However all of the throw measurements I’ve seen are higher than the specified 1.5MCD. I haven’t measured mine but I have a feeling it might not even reach 1.5MCD due to the low lumen output but I hope I’m wrong.

Seems like Acebeam lumen measurements are incorrectly calibrated to be higher than our Maukka standard whereas their throw ratings are conservative.

What were the lumens at 30 seconds?
What batteries are you using?
Do you know why driver design it uses?

I do find that the larger the reflector the more OTF efficiency loss you get. It’s one downfall of big reflector, big lens lights.

Sounds like you want a C8F or D4S.

The C8F is not a throwy light at about 363 meters stock on my unit. I don’t have a d4s, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a throwy light either.

He’s looking for 500 to 800 meters.

He might want to look at the nightwatch nsx3

Eh, it’s tail switch only with a pretty big hot spot so it barely does 400 meters.

D4s will best suit your needs for throw w/ 6500k SST or XPL

Yes I’ve looked into both ( in theory and watching reviews ) and they don’t appear to be throwy at all….

I didn’t think emisar d4s throws? Am I confusing it with some other? Besides probably too small to maintain decent lumen level Before you can’t hold it any more?

The D4S throws really well with the White Flats
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?452694-Candidates-for-White1-amp-White2-(W1-amp-W2)&p=5256894&viewfull=1#post5256894
https://skylumen.com/products/emisar-d4s-most-compact-26650-quad?\_pos=2&\_sid=70f726e7b&\_ss=r