✌ FREEME - MEOTE FM1 LH351D (CRI90+) / XP-L HI (4980lm) / SST20 Anduril 18650 EDC Flashlight - ALIVE!

I need them to both stop flickering or sticking on before starting filming. There’s a lot of grease everywhere and fitment doesn’t seem flush. Both have stopped flickering for periods after a good clean or stiff tightening but output seemed way off. I’m getting better output on both from a 30Q over VTC5A/D which seems odd too.

The beam really isn’t nice either, looks like a $5 light at lower output.

Would you be able to post a brief video to show the flickering and issues? That would set my expectations. Thanks.

I too encounter flicking issue out from the box, but it seem to be fine after simple thread cleaning and tightening for tailcap.

Anyway, i did report to BG on the very day of receiving my unit last week. Still waiting for their respond on it.

My prototype did not exhibit such problem so i thought it might be isolated case.

I strongly advise FM1 owners to perform ambient and max. temp calibration. My default settings was kind of low for my geographical location.

HEBI RAIDEN feedback that his unit has dark center. I am waiting or MEOTE's rep response.

My LH351D retail version for comparison.

I’ve cleaned every mm of both, they were very greasy, and the flickering has stopped for now. The calibration was close out of the box but the default thermal limit seems very very low, both lights step down steeply after 15 seconds. Neither body fits flush to the copper and output remains low for the XPL-HI. Less than 3000 lumens.

The donut hole isn’t nice, especially indoors.

Ironically Muggle mode seems to be working fine on both!!!

Edit I’ve just calibrated the SST20 to step down at 50c and it’s going doolally, it’s output is all over the place and it’s not stepping down at all.

This isn’t good.

Edit: I’ve stupidly tightened the tailcap to the point my hand hurts and it’s improved things. The contact design on this light is dubious.

I’ve calibrated it to 60c and stepdown is still at 15 seconds, is that normal? It doesn’t stepdown as aggressively now though.

The turn on output has dropped 500 lumens since raising the thermal limit on the SST20, weird.

EDIT: Just run them both very very hot and both the heads now fit flush to the body!

Sorry, wasn’t planning to review this one… looks like I’m listed as a reviewer, but I never agreed to that.

Looking forward for your KR1 review

I’ve just noticed the one FM1 will lockout via the tailcap but the other FM1 won’t.

I still need to do a KR4 review… have been really bad about reviews lately.

Didn’t know the KR1 existed until yesterday, so I’m not sure what to expect there.

wow thats odd… u should clear this up….

The first post shows “Edited by: freeme on 05/24/2020 - 09:25” and ToyKeeper was removed from the “appointed tester” list.

Yeah, these practices all seem kind of shady.
That’s one of many reasons for my apathy against it

I want to assume that the issues mentioned by Flashaholics is not due to poor design but execution, because in a spec sheet everything in this light is tried and tested, quad emitters behind a carclo optic, FET+7135 driver running a familiar FW, double tube design already found in FW series and being perfected in the KR4 with the use of springs (which is the only logical solution unless very tight tolerances can be achieved). In paper, not much could go wrong unless there was poor machining or use of subpar components. The FM1 is still in my wishlist, just waiting for a full review and hopefully a teardown.

It doesn’t look like Carclo to me but the same one used in the S43.

Back in 2019/ early 2020, BG told me they would discuss with her regarding the rights/ license to use of Anduril firmware for MEOTE. That was when i suggested to reserve one unit, for her to get familiar with this new brand.

On April 27(after going through my Skype history), BG told me she never reply to their pm. Covid-19 situation kept evolving every day back in Apr, I forgotten to followup as i was rather busy during that period.

Sorry for not being able to reply earlier as forum freeze on me several times today.

As Will34 already mentioned, subpar components.

Damn that tint on the FF E07 4800K looks really good. Is it supposed to be the SST-20 5000K? I always thought the SST-20 5000K is green tint.

I ordered the Meote on Day 1 and will hopefully get it soon and see if I get the same flickering.

i have FM1 and didn’t have any problem with flickering, maybe it’s because high ambient temperature(30*C) so the metal expands more ?

I received the LH351D version recently, but i chose Narsilm for my UI.

Firstly the light is solidly built and with good machining and feels good when gripped in my hands. I didn’t have any flickering or technical issues as reported by Flashaholic, however:

1. Placing the light firmly down to tailstand resets the connection and shuts the light off - i am assuming this jolts the conductive cylinder - it gives me a slight concern over the quality of the product, but as the cylinder is not fixed i guess this is not completely unsurprising. I emphasize you do have to place the light down firmly.

2. There are some petal shaped artifacts in the beam if you look hard enough, but honestly, i did not notice them until pointed out by the Flashaholic review.

3. The beam is pleasing to the eye but its floody - almost too floody tbh - however i was aware of the stats when i purchased it. I suppose it would be great in a dense forest but in a suburban environment it does have its limitations due to the extreme flood. I am wondering if Freeme will produce a single emitter version in future? Something in the realm of 240 to 300m throw would be nice hint hint

4. It does get hot on turbo, as expected, and i immediately disabled step down the first time it was triggered. As reported by Flashaholic it steps down hard after a matter of seconds. Using turbo does seem to drain the battery extremely fast - (Samsung 30q)

5. However what is potentially a deal breaker is the loud audible click of the switch. I have no technical ability when it comes to creating flashlights, so i am not sure, but does have to be this loud? It takes away any aspect of ‘tactically using’ of light with the sound of the click every time the switch is pressed. I have to compare it to the FW series, which is silent in comparison. Perhaps something to dampen the sound in future versions may be feasible.

All in the all a decent light - it has its limitations due to the extreme flood and the sound of the tailswitch, but i do think its good value for money for what it is.