[♛ FreemeGB] Fireflies PL47 Gen II 4*XP-L/ Nichia/ SST20 Hi CRI 21700 Right Angle Flashlight - ENDED

Fireflies should start selling additional tubes to BLF members who are having problems with the initial tube.

/\ Yes

The tube is the problem, it is not the battery.
I received two PL47 with Nichia 219B and tested with the battery (Sofirn 21700), and the black one is good, but the champagne one battery doesn’t fit (does not go in).

Inner diameter of the tubes :

XPL Hi V3 3A 5000K Champagne : 21.69 mm
SST20 10W NW 4000K CRI95 Black : 21.96 mm
Nichia 219B-V1 R9080 Champagne : 21.72 mm

Inner diameter of the tubes :

Nichia 219B-V1 R9080 Black : 22.0 mm
SST20 10W NW 4000K CRI95 Champagne : 21.7 mm

M4M4X’s review is worth a look for anyone thinking about buying one of these, or having problems.

See video review: Fireflies PL47 and E07 // some more vids added

For the want of an extra few mm of metal, or a little research into cell dimensions and thinking about tolerances when designing the metalwork, this project seems to have been a fail for some.

As for the electronic/firmware design and integration, well it’s early days yet to know how durable the LEDs will prove to be.

Fundamentally a torch that (unmodified) can cook itself in a minute or less, along with any other failings, is a bad design. It’s not the user’s fault, nor the fault of the dumb cell (that may or may not even fit), it’s just lack of design, integration or development testing, never-mind independent review. Also entirely predictable, given the hardware and firmware capabilities and limitations, when constructing such an over-powered device with so little thermal capability.

Between the manufacturer, the electronics and the firmware consultants, a way should have been found of controlling this beast. And I don’t mean just shipping it in muggle mode with temperature control set to an unusably low level. Still, it comes with a multi year warranty, so no need to worry :cry:

Any such ideas would probably also be usefully applied to e.g. the FW3A, though at least that one should be able to mostly run purely on 7135s, with the FET kept only for special (short) occasions.

What is certain is that changing LEDs, should it be required, will not be easy, this torch seems to be purposely designed to frustrate hardware modders.

With these small, hot, thermally challenged, multi-emitter torches, with the output power of a Q8,

Edit, or nearly twice that, in the maddest one. Seven emitters WTF? What could possibly go wrong ? does this seem like a plan ?

Just because you can make it, and persuade some people (noted) to prostitute themselves to try to make it work, after a fashion, does not mean that it it is anything that I desire. Absolutely the opposite.

Thermal control is probably the most important challenge for hardware and firmware designers. And frankly I don’t think the way it is being approached at the moment has much merit or future. Nevermind requiring the user to fiddle about with it themselves.

This is where the effort should be being applied, rather than just titivating switch and aux. LEDs, pretty though some may think them.

Please use calipers to measure your batteries. Some are just over 21mm wide. That’s not the fault of the tube. They get rewrapped and resold. I have many like this.

This is not new. Manufacturers of 18650 torches do not make their tubes precisely 18mm internal diameter, or only designed for 65mm long. They take a view, and make things that mostly work without complication for the user, except in extreme cases (mostly “protected” even “button top” cells with all the extra unnecessary junk added on, and sometimes even a second wrap over the original.)

Nevertheless these sloppily toleranced torches are made and suit their customers very well.

Possibly a “wet behind the ears” junior designer sat down at the CAD station and drew something up assuming that all 21-70 cells would be no more than 21mm diameter or 70 mm long.

Schoolboy mistake.

Light arrived yesterday,got shipping notice on 11/25/18.
40T works,so does Vapecell 5000 with recessed top.

Not sure where you pulled your analysis from, but I can guess :slight_smile: J/K. He said his two PL47 are inconsistent. That’s a different problem for him I’d like him to verify if he can.

My PL47 tube is 21.4mm at both ends.

My Acebeam 21700 battery is 21.1mm in diameter and fits well.
My ROFIS 21700 battery is 21.8mm in diameter. Really freakin wide battery, doesn’t even have a USB port yet is still that wide.

There’s no way I’d expect Fireflies or any other company, other than ROFIS, to fit the ROFIS battery. The Acebeam literally rattles around inside the ROFIS MR30.

My 18650s vary, however the wider ones are 18.3mm, so they all fit well into the PL47 using the included adapter. The tube is perfect.

He should measure the Sofirn battery(s) and both his tubes with a caliper.

nokoff wrote:
Please use calipers to measure your batteries. Some are just over 21mm wide. That’s not the fault of the tube. They get rewrapped and resold. I have many like this.

My two PL47 with Nichia 219B tested with the same battery (on one Sofirn 21700)

Now that we have established that you do not desire this light, could we have a reason besides being a narcissist troll why you feel the compulsion to continue blathering on about the light that you do not desire, relentlessly in “woe unto you” tirades.

That is like a redsox fan spending time at a yankees forum just to poke the beehive—just to insult and infuriate, because it is fun for him. That is simply mean spirited and childish, and you keep coming back just to spout off, “i hate everything about this light that i am not interested in and i clearly have nothing more constructive to do with my time than come here and vomit into your brains for awhile. Well honestly, because i am simply a miserable, sad and lonely person and coming here and being hateful makes me feel strong and powerful and alive…”

this is the behavior of a troll. I dont understand why it is tolerated

And shame on you community for allowing this pestilence to persist.

Tiresome.

Can you measure each tube inner diameter in mm like I did? Sounds like they are somehow different.

As much as I hate to be involved in such a conversation, I think Tom Tom may be looking for these responce and giggling the whole time. I think it would be best to not entertain this person with responces. Just my opinion. I just scroll past the post without reading it. It’s pointless.

Yes, it's probably best just to report the post and not feed the troll.

I have the nichia. I am having an issue with my batteries. I recently picked up new 21700 50e from imrbatteries. When i use them with the PL47, ramping ceiling is only going to ~100 lumens while ramping floor is normal. i do not hear the PWM when ramping but do when using 40t or 35E. double click to turbo and it does not change in lumens. i tried with 3 other fully charge 50e and the same results.

But when i try using a 40t or 18650 35E the light works normal. turbo and high works normally.

capacaity test for the 50e are 5014 mah and IR is ~20-30 ohms. Floor setting set to 3 clicks and ceiling to 1 click.

35e are rated 8 Maximum Continuous discharge while the 50e are 9.8A Maximum Continuous discharge. i suspect the 50e’s are not providing enough power to the PL47 or am i wrong?

I think I heard similar posts from other guys using the 50e and they said that it was just a bit too long. Either that or some of them said the 50 e works if you tighten the tail cap really hard. But they also said that tightening the tailcap very hard could also possibly dent them.

So I think that it’s more of a battery fitment issue than a battery output issue.

I am using the 48g and have no problems with mine and they are about the same capacity as the cells you are using.

Wow you are correct. i tighten the cap to the max and it works normally now. high, turbo, and ramping works. i was afraid that it might crush the top of the cell. all of my 50E’s are working. thank you.

I am using the 50e in the PL47 nichia with out issue, but I had to put a copper washer in the tail cap because otherwise I had to tighten the cap so hard to make a good connection that I was crushing the springs. You may not have a solid connection

Edit: I was too slow

…battery fitment issues? Hard to believe…