[♛ FreemeGB] Fireflies PL47 Gen II 4*XP-L/ Nichia/ SST20 Hi CRI 21700 Right Angle Flashlight - ENDED

2 different colors for head / body? Yep that’s stupid, take me off the interest list please

I’d have to wait and hope for a mono color option. Any mono color option is more acceptable than the dual tone.

Hi Oceanfreak

Some of the caverns can be as big as a football pitch or even two and upwards of 100m in high…. Flood is best for “Most caving” but a thrower is also very useful….

There is know easy solution for caving… And then I use those same headlamps with clients on night navigation training too…. Best solutions so far have been the Fenix HL55 as slightly floodier and not as noticible hot spot than the Nitecore HC65s. But I love the HC65 due to the Aux light and Red leds.

The PL47’s am hoping will be nice and floody but due to the HIGH Lumens they should have a nice throw to… So at least there is the option… But we will see. As many Headlamps claiming IPX8 and good runtimes as well as throw etc have died a death due to a caving trip.

No response!!!

Yep I’m inclined to agree here… I honestly don’t see why a two tone/dual tone…. Unless they are from those CHEAP CHINA sellers… Dual tone does not say “well made or quality product”

Dual tone is already stated in the product description since my last update. It is scheduled next week but FF did not provide a firm date. Will announce here if there is any changes.

Those are some big caves! How are the acoustics in there? Can you explain why dual tone means poorly made and low quality? What am I missing?

I like the dual tone.

Dual tone it looks thrown together with spare parts and don’t look professional to me so if I was fickle I would not even give them a second look and buy else where… Am NOT against the dual colour just I would PREFER single colour throughout body….

LOL the caves aren’t that big compared to some others around the world even in your own fair country and actually some of the ones I have Dived are far bigger. As to acoustics. Some are fantastic others due to the rock formations just dull the sound and absorb it……

Me too…

I hear ya. Caves have killed my Fenix hp30r, Nitecore HC90 and HC70. I’ve had good luck with L shaped headlamps though (armytek wizard, skilhunt h03 and nitecore hc30 all still alive and cheaper than the ones that have died from caving). So I have good hopes for the pl47 as caving light. We’ll see.

High CRI Quads are lovely for caving and cave photography. I’ve used my d4 on my helmet for this purpose.

For caving, would some kind of rubber bezel be helpful. I know bouldering and rock climbing I smash my head against the rocks a lot. Only been in a few caves/caverns. How much is confined 4 point on rock work?

Color and color patterns are so subjective… Just wondering what the signs would be to watch out for. I understand anodizing issues and color match. That is a pain. You almost have to have a disclaimer of variation unless all parts are the exact same material and hardness, and done at the same time. Black is probably the easiest because you come to a point where there is little penetration left and oxide formed. Colors are more difficult, especially if you want color and a level of durability. I always find a good anodized part in color more attractive than black. For straight protection, black is the choice.

lohtse, speaking of photography, do you have a couple pictures to share?

KawiBoy1428, I really like the S2 with black on the the ends and desert in the middle. I’d like to do a similar build only using their grey version for the ends. A grey tube with desert ends would probably look good as well…

Great news! There will be two color options to choose from.

My conversation with FF was cut short by another urgent reply. Will make another announcement once everything is really firm.

LOL if you bashing your head that much your doing it wrong…

Been mountaineering/climbing/caving for past 38 years and rarely bash my headlamps…

BOULDERING oh heck now thats just an excuse to carry a mattress on your back!!!

As to caving headlamps take a beating… Just know way round it….Rubber bezels fall off and if you integrate them they warp or crack so that is a weak point that will simply fail so not a good option…….

There are a few DEDICATED Caving lamps out there but I prefer like most cavers a multi purpose headlamp as most of us are involved in other outdoor activities (or MRT/SAR like me) a few of the best options out there are the Nitecore HC30,Xtar H3,Nitecore HC65 and Fenix HL55. Petzl used to the best around but now are a former shell of what they used to be…

Now the PL47 really am hoping this will be the kill headlamp am after.

wahooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I’d like to hear that echoing through the cave!

You should hear my witches kakkle!!! freaked many a caver out with it!!

Just curious, how do caves kill your flashlight? Do you swim in cave water?

Headlamps in caves constantly make contact with the rock… This then breaks seals etc so the IPX rating becomes nothing as water and dust then gets inside and basically damages the boards and LED’s….

Yes I do dive caves too… Have actually dived with the HC65 and still worked after 2 hours!! I have several flashlights I use (some attached to my dive helmet) and was sent the WD12 from Odepro to test(but was either defective or simply sh**e).

Yep. Many times I have to swim. I work in a lot of very wet, muddy and guano rich caves (usually survey and mapping). And I tend to not care about my gear when I’m working. Mud and water does it for most of them.