French Press Coffee Thread

The real clue is in the thread title. French press, cafetière method. I have pods, I have a cone filter, I have a Wacaco Nanopresso, I have an Aeropress. The best French type of press I have is Espro Travel.

I will admit you do have the best frites, but the worst sausage (andouettes), and wish you luck finding LEDs for the nightlight for your little one to keep the monsters away. :slight_smile:

A while back tried / experimented with Bodum. The right combo of coffee type/grind/water temp and pour/settling was too much. I broke a few carafes in the process and tried a stainless steel one (not good – can’t see what I’m doing).

And then an opportunity arose. Found a fully dismantled espresso machine in some dumpster, just trashed. I rebuilt it and replaced the boiler element that had been toasted (why someone gave up as those are somehow rare and expensive - Italian make).

When I got the right blend of method and bean grinds, never looked back. Crema and no bitters. Good strong perfume and bold taste, but smooth going down.

That machine was my friend for over 22 years. The bottom was rusting out and I had foreseen to sandblast and re-enamelled. But again, fortune favoured me. Came across a nice espresso machine, very modern and with the traditional boiler (versus the more common thermal pump) that a client was given but couldn’t endure the overly strong taste. Bargain price and now sits on my counter for over 8 years.

These boiler types don’t like being fed straight tap water. The scale builds up and the pump/elements take a serious hit. So filtered water, and Napolitano blend beans ground with a Braun mill. These crushes between stones but too high speed. Not the best as it heats the grind and the finer particles clog the orifice – periodic scraping.

I use french press daily (when I’m running out my paper filter) and found these little tricks that might enhance the taste (or not).

• pour a small amount of cold water into the coffee first, just to wet the coffee. wait 30 seconds then add the hot water. wait for 3-4 minutes then stir and press it.
  • pour hot water into french press first, then pour the coffee on top of it. do not stir. wait for 3-4 minutes then stir and press it.

from my experience, sometimes I got better taste but never worse. I think it depends on the beans.

I’m using Timemore C2, in my opinion it works better than Porlex.

i’ve only visited one time, but really enjoyed it and would like to return.

A 750ml bottle of Grand Marnier was only ~$5, that was a delight.

Could not resist buying the VEVOK CHEF Manual Coffee Grinder on amazon . Only CAD$40.26 . Most good kinds have to be imported .
Edit : Now at $67 .

the french name is : FRITES

the belgian is better, and the real frites use the beef animal grease for fried.

_
RichH

thank you

_

kennybobby

visit paris ? or other city ?
the french drink many ” ricard ( is a alcool origine of marseille” ” heinneken” and other beer.

And this is the healthier way to fry . Most seeds oils are a disaster for human health, they are produced true high heat thus neading color and odor high chemical transformation .

Grounds down the drain and your Plumber will thank you .Grounds in your garden have been found to be a questionable myth at best .

Offer them up to the landfill god and possibly knock down some of that smell .

Still using the perk o later because it makes 12 cups at a shot ..

Don't forget lots of cream and sugar and ..Vodka

Aha, I was wondering about that. Like here, “American cheese” keeps the name, vs just, well, “cheese”.

Mmmmnah, not in coffee, ’cept the EtOH from the vanilla extract.

But yeah, half’n’half, plus sugar. Nom nom nom…

I did have cold-brew coffee once. Horribly long process, but was so good I think I actually enjoyed it black.

That was also when I had the Jamaican something-or-other, and Kona.

Belgian fries cooked in a wok, constantly stirring. Their fry potatoes are sweeter than ours. Some use 100% lard, others 50/50 vegetable oil. Served in a paper cone, a side cup of ketchup/mayo. Some ingenious paper folding.

Street vendors that is - commercial, same as MacDoo.
Their fast foods are either completely disgusting (Quik) or top of the line (don’t recall the name).

Got it; many thanks.

Is that le frites or la frites? Still learning.

Pommes frites?

Frit(z).
And conjugates feminine. “une frite”

Plural: “des frites”

La frite
Les frites

if you want french recipe : Truffade : Recette de Truffade

in exemple “LA truffade” is big food for winter.

and good cheese :

i’like cheese name “roquefort”

and the perfect : ” STEAK FRITES SAUCE ROQUEFORT ”
is very very simple ( but fat )

you need frites

50cl cream
125gr roquefort

steak and salade

in the saucepan, melt the Roquefort cheese with the cream

Les, plural.

Agreed, Belgian frites are fantastic. I used to drive Dover to Calais then on to Belgium to pick up cut timber for furniture. Even the motorway stations served excellent steak and fries. Epic food.

You guys are killing me here. I didn’t even have breakfast yet.

Thanks KennyBobby for starting the thread. I enjoy my coffee very much. I have a variety of different coffee makers but mainly use a French press. If I’m not using that, I’m usually using an aeropress. My wife likes the Chemex (as someone noted before you can put them on a stove top but only if it is a gas or a glass top. Don’t put it on one of the “coil” tops) and we use that a fair bit too. I also have an electric vacuum press, some mocha pots, a percolator, and a cheap espresso maker. The espresso maker does not make good espresso. Someday I would like to purchase a quality one but that is not in the budget at the moment.

I do have a particular way of brewing but I don’t get too worked up about it. Good water and good fresh ground coffee beans in a strong enough ratio massively outstrips every other aspect. If you have those things down and boil the water and then pour it on immediately, grind a little too course or fine, don’t let it bloom, etc., you should still get a very good cup of coffee. Most of the other aspects have varying degrees of impact depending on brewing method and roast. For example, the purpose of letting the grounds bloom is to help them release CO2. Fresh dark roast has a lot of CO2 in it and light roast has far less. The advantage gained from blooming light roast is thus greater as a lot of CO2 is easily released without blooming a dark roast and the CO2 “gained” is proportionately less for the dark roast. I think water temperature is somewhat important. Fresh off the boil is less than ideal. I got a thermometer and timed the temperature drop in my kettle after boiling. It is pretty consistent and while it rapidly loses the first 5 degrees or so the temperature decline slows down and stays in the sweet spot, 195-205, for a good while. So I boil it and, for example, finish reading my paragraph and then pour it. So I’m not measuring water temperature every time I make coffee nor am I pouring it fresh off the boil. Consistency without “anality”! I follow, roughly, Alton Brown’s French press method.

I have done a decent bit of blind testing with friends and family and nobody has ever been able to tell the difference between 205 and 200 or minor issues like that. I have unfortunately made a few people grumpy with my testing. Some people don’t like it when after they tell you that blooming makes a massive difference in the taste, you put it to the test and they can’t tell the difference or they get it wrong. This is usually what I do whenever I hear of some new must do brewing procedure. I learn the new way, make it that way for a month or so, and then switch back to the old way, and then do a blind test. At the end I evaluate whether I can tell a difference and whether it is worth doing or not.

My favorite coffee is from a company called Mayorga. I really like them as a company and have not found anything better. Contrary to the trend, I much prefer dark roast coffee and I also prefer the South American style dark roast to the European way. Their Cafe Cubano and Muy Macho (both will be some of the oiliest coffee you have ever seen) are my two favorites. Check them out!

Random bonus fact, different brewing methods are more or less efficient and extracting caffeine from different roasts. So for a light roast coffee the most efficient way to extract caffeine is in a pour over but the most efficient way for a dark roast is in a French press. My very informal survey has been that, among coffee connoisseurs, those who prefer pour over tend to favor light roasts, the converse is true as well, while those who prefer a French press favor dark roast, again the converse seems to hold. Are people doing this because they are chasing caffeine or because those methods are more efficient at extracting flavor as well? I have often felt like it might be the latter but I haven’t tested it. :slight_smile:

Ah, so “blooming” is that “gremo” I bitch’n’moan about, that floats silt on top in all that foam I can’t get rid of?

So dump some water on the grounds, let it fizz itself out, then do the main batch of hot water?