French Press Coffee Thread

Well, you got up 5 hrs late.

That’s what i did and it improved the flavor. Take a look at the OP where i added some notes. Use a bamboo chop stick to stir the top surface and sink the silt and floaters.

@Superstock,
thanks for sharing your observations and blind testing. i didn’t measure water temperature but a 1 minute delay seems to work for me, the pour-while-boiling made very bitter coffee in my cup.

i used to install and service espresso machines in my area, and the biggest issue was the calcium and mineral build up in the boilers. That’s why i use distilled water, plus i don’t need any fluoride in my water there’s plenty in the toothpaste.

Mmm, saw that originally. Figured ’twas similar to where I stir angrily with a tea-spoon. (Not a teaspoon, but literally a tea-spoon, ie, long-handled spoon for iced-tea, etc.)

I always get a hoot about that, how fluoridated water is “so good for teeth”. Want to protect teeth, it’s applied topically (like the pink ook your dentist uses on you), not taken systemically by drinking.

That’s like trying to wax your car by pouring liquid-wax in the car’s gas-tank and driving it around. :laughing:

(Never mind osteofluorosis, dental fluorosis, hard but brittle bones from replacing hydroxyapatite with fluoroapatite, etc.)

But just like using cooking-sherry, don’t use ugly-tasting crap. If it ain’t good enough for drinking, don’t use it for cooking.

Same with water. Where people have ugly-tasting water, it’ll make ugly-tasting coffee. Filtered should be enough, as distilled might eventually start leaching minerals from you instead.

Just don’t use deionised water. :open_mouth:

I think it is intented more for expresso machines where running a vinegar wash isn’t ideal .

THIS.

I used to use a bladed grinder. I got a Krupps burr grinder and I’m very happy with it. I bought my sister a really nice countertop model… she uses one of those all-in-one Cuisinart coffee makers (grinds and brews for you). It’s a bladed grinder with NO means ot adjustment. Awful. But she’s so set in her ways, she won’t use the grinder I got her.

Interesting to see various techniques. I have a nice Cuisinart electric kettle with temp selection. I use the one for “French Press”.

Aside from the grinder, the beans… mean everything. If your beans are mediocre, doesn’t matter how great a technique you employ. The main thing I’ve found lately is that I prefer medium roast. I was long a dark roast / French roast coffee drinker, but I eventually discovered that such dark beans tend to be over roasted. They also tend to be more bitter. Medium roast? Can be so wonderful, nutty with all sorts of interesting notes that are burned away with dark roast.

I’ve been told that the acidity of coffee grinds makes it safe for drain pipes. So, once in a while, dump some coffee grinds down there. Then fill your sink up, release the stopper, and let all that water push those grinds down the line. Supposedly good for eating away at gunk stuck to the inside of the pipes.

In German, they use the word “pommes” for fries. I swear I remember the phrase “pomme frites” in France, to mean potato fries. But the independent word translation in French ends up being “apple fries.” Pomme de terre is potato, so I’m guessing “pomme” is used interchangeably for apple & potato depending upon context?

Potato is pomme de terre in french ( ou patate ) , pomme frites is pomme de terre frites, only missing a part . The confusion is that pomme alone ( meaning not in the earth ) is an apple .

Erdapfel is Kartoffel/ Potato in swiss,austria and south germany

Regards Xandre

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I love how this thread, already edited and off topic posts deleted, is now comparing potato chips/fries/frites…

When I was a kid I took fluoride pills. Chewed them then swallowed. I guess it is topical on the way in. No idea why it needed to be swallowed though. Also the dentist used to paint fluoride onto my teeth once per year. Terrible tasting stuff. Still have all my teeth and no fillings so I guess it helps.

Much debate about fluoride in the water a few years back. I’ll have to applaud the city’s decision; “too much controversy and tainted studies, so we’ll leave it ’till the scientific community has a definitive consensus”. ie, they plugged the injections.

And at the same time implemented sub-station water analysis on a more periodic schedule. They greatly reduced the chlorine content and thus the buffers.

On a long-term program, they are digging up and replacing much of the infrastructure. My street hasn’t been upgraded yet, so some mineral content and slime when you leave a glass of tap water settle overnight. An under-the-sink filter handles that well.

Sorry about the digression, but water quality has much to do with brewing.
And bean selection. Strangely, no one mentioned the two camps: Robustas and Arabicas.

Do you have a preference—it would be interesting to hear.

Quick search found this general statement, do you think it accurate?

Arabica and Robusta are the two coffee variants that comprise the coffee industry. Arabica is more popular, has a higher consumption and preferability around the world. Each type has its specialty; while Robusta has more caffeine content, Arabica is known for its sweet and rich flavor.

Arabicas are grown in more arid climate zones and make for a stronger tasting coffee. The Robustas are more tropical and are fruitier.
Most coffee houses will blend as the Arabicas can be overwhelming and bitter - particularly with the darker roasts. So adding some Robustas evens out the overall after-taste. All Robusta are rarely found, versus Arabicas can be 100%. But, as in Single Malt whisky, there’s much ado with prep and kegs, so with the roasting and seasonal variations.

The Kenyas and Sumatras are Arabica, and to my taste were “full-bodied” with some aftertaste. Mind you that “full-bodied” is now a commercial marketing term. Back some eon ago, it meant all 4 groups of taste were present: sweet, salty, bitter and sour. These are re-defined to more akin to perception. fruity, woodsy, et al.

Now that coffees are more popularized and gotten status, I wouldn’t delve into all the variations and methodology. I’ve had some really good coffee from Costco (bulk) and some crappy stuff from “trendy” shops.

I use an Aeropress but I only have about 1 cup per week on average. I have thought about trying freshly ground coffee (buy a burr grinder and beans) but I’m wondering whether a cream-and-sugar, occasional coffee drinker like myself would notice enough flavor difference to make it worthwhile? You fresh grind lovers, do you drink it black?

Some things taste better when fresh, I know. Like pecans. For years I just bought the pre-packaged pecan bits in the store for baked goods and stuff. But now I buy locally grown pecans right from the grower, and I keep the 1 lb bags in the freezer until ready to open, then in the fridge until consumed. Wow, so much better flavor. I now put pecans in my morning cereal, eat pecans plain, etc.

If I bought a grinder, I think I’d go with the Timemore C2. Small footprint, hand crank, good reviews.

Visit coffee-loving friends and try their brews.

I don’t know any who grind, but good idea if I did.

Macdonald also fried them the proper way using beef tallow and they tasted much better, until they use poisonous highly-processed “vegetable” oil because of the fake cholesterol hysteria and also to cut cost.

if you can taste the coffee though the sugar and cream then fresh grounds will make a difference.
the flavor of grounds starts to diminish a few hours after being ground.

coffee is not like pecans. freezing/refrigeration is bad for grounds as it will dry them out and spoil the taste.
i store my beans (which are actually seeds) in a large air tight pickle jar.

Thanks, DudeMan. Amazon is having a lightning deal right now on the Timemore Chestnut C2 Max, and that pushed me over the edge. I guess I will give it a try!