Fresh Out of the Envelope Impressions . . . 100mW Green Laser (wavelength 532nm)

My laser did slip out of focus really bad over the last week. There was a dab of clear glue on the lens retaining ring that held it in place. I removed that glue and was able to turn the lens which focused the size and shape of the dot. I used purple locktite on it so I can move it later if I have too. I do need a more powerful one now. Why? No idea.

So the laser is focusable from the inside? I just got the USPS slip to pick it up. Hope I don't blind myself tonight.

I dont really know much about lasers but yes , you can focus it. The lens has a threaded retaining ring and is inside of a threaded barrel. They fix the focus with a bit of clear glue. The glue gave way on mine and the spot started turning into a line and growing. I was able to focus it into a tighter spot that it came with. I wouldnt call it a focusable laser, as a feature but it can easily be focused.

I like your way of thinking.

Well I bought one just like yours Foy and mine isn't as good as yours. It draws .43mA after it warms up and the beam isn't nearly as visible as yours. I have bought 10 dollar ebay pointers that were rated at 5 mW that were brighter than this one but I burned them up pot modding them lol. I was really hopping to get one to pop balloons with but the one I received just won't do it!

Just my luck Frown

These cheap lasers can be a lottery. I had hopes this one would be more consistent. Mine is still running strong.The first laser I bought was the $7 DX pointer. It was great, huge visible beam. The next one I ordered was junk. The first DX branded one I got could pop balloons easy.
I would check into returning that one for another. If you got it at Tmart/gadgettown I imagine you would be dealing with a US address, even if it was shipped originally from hongkong. They seem to be pretty good on customer service. Few people around here bought a flashlight deal from them that was to include a battery and was shipped without it. They seem to have acknowledged their mistake and are making good.

Blue - Your .43 tail cap draw is about right because mine draws .47. My guess is it's gettin' the juice so . . .

Might be worth doing what Lang says. I might try it myself because now that he says that, it does seem like my sopt is not as tight as it was when I first got it. I thought it was just me not recalling correctly.

Foy

Pls read LPF's Safety & Legal forum first before using the lasers if you are new to this.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/

The focus on mine was ok I just think it boils down to the frequency conversion crystals/optics not being as well aligned to capture all the IR from the laser diode. I took it apart and it does seem a little off?????

I finally went to pick up mine (false alarm above as that was another item from xtar). It doesn't work. Tried different batteries/cleaned/disassemble, nothing. Now trying to deal with gadgettown. No reply yet after a day.

The 502b shell seems to be the same crappy/fake one tmart sent out as part of their "daily deal" p60 light. What kind of bugged me as I took it apart to investigate is that the laser pcb is just held/stabilized inside with a couple pieces of foam stuck in there. The p60 idea is kinda clever but that's REALLY ghetto.

Well, the replacement I got is still broken (screwy tailcap). Can anyone recommend a better alternative?

Agenthex as much as I dislike Tmart the laser I got from Gadgettown shipped from the same NY address as Tmart and is still working in fact I think it has gotten brighter the more I use it and the 502B host is pretty decent quality.

Mine is still working great

I'm sure this is stupid for me to even post....but just in case...make sure you install the battery with the positive end toward the tailcap.

The 502 host is the same one as came with their $11 502b flashlight. It's fake and not a very good one at that. It has a terrible tail switch, which doesn't always turn off (someone else had the same problem). I replaced the one on the 502b, but now I know it's endemic to that product. The inside of the second one I got is even worse than the first. They didn't even bother inserting foam down the whole length of the laser module. Perhaps it's not really the fault of gadgettown, but a 100mw laser shouldn't fail like a flashlight can.

Yes I got it working (what a retarded design), but the tailcap is faulty (known problem now). I can fix it with a replacement switch, but frankly I'm not pleased w/ the product. This one also came w/ anodizing missing (scrapped off) from the tailcap. Seriously, wtf.

Not actually being a balloon myself I have to say that lasers simply leave me cold.