Fresh Out of the Envelope Impressions . . . Ultra Fire UF-980L

Different shape (which I don't mind) and it's a 5-mode flashy. (which I hate) Probably a great light.

Foy

Take lots of pics with it torn down into indivual parts. I want to see the pill and the driver in particular. That thing looks like a beast and it all appears to be in the driver. I'm getting a Trustfire F15 for Father's Day but I don't think it will be quite the beast this 980L is!! That hotspot is insane!

Johnny

LOL! Did some quick calculations...

at 4.5A at the tail, after accounting for driver efficiency of 80% you are still getting 3.6A at the diode. Granted output isn't pure linear but you are still getting in the neighborhood of 1400 lumen out of that beast! WOW!!! I can't wait to see how it olds up!

Johnny

Hey Foy, how long before you murder the bezel?

I bet he already has.

Yes Johnny; gonna take it apart and do a full review. Something else I thought was interesting . . . was trying to do a run time test on high. After maybe 10 minutes, tried to pick it up and ouch! My new DMM has a surface temperature sensor and this light measured 135° at the head.

The good news is - at 1.25 amps on medium, we're talking what, 300-350 lumens? Have to treat high as a kind of turbo mode I guess.

moretocomeFoy

that's what I do...medium is more than enough for 90% of tasks..the high is just a barn burner when you need to absolutely postively blind someone or see out in a field..i've never used high for more than 2 minutes and even in that time you can feel some heat building in the head and neck area..

Damn... I'd find this when I'm broke.

That's a nice looking light! Any dealers in the U.S. got it?

Foy, is it HAIII?

Rich

I would love to figure out which driver is in this light and see if it is for sale as a separate piece...

Witht the tailcap screwed to the tube and without the head, I proceeded to measure a dead short (Sort of) of the system. I got 12A from an unprotected Ultrafire 2400. It might be a bit different with the XM-L/driver factored in as load, but i don't think so. So we can rule out the tailcap as being current limited. Don't try this at home, i did 3 runs, each run limited to 0.5s. Even then when i unscrewed the tailcap, the center spring was already pretty warm like 40-50 deg C. The spring was the "load" together with the DMM leads?

Figured you guys might be interested to know this, as some mentioned if the tailcap is the limiting factor.

So nice that I ordered a second. Just because...

I would love to get a OP reflector for one.

Rich

I have got UF980 a month ago. A great light for reasonable people!

Does anybody know, maybe Foy, what will happen using UF980 & Panasonic 2900? Which of them will "go" first? Or none at all?

Thanks IvoC

Troop when my driver burned out I took one out of the Manafont Ultrafire 3 mode drop in and it was exactly the same driver.

IvoC first off welcome to BLF, second thing is you might burn the emitter but I kind of doubt it. The two failures I have heard of so far is my failed driver and one emitter melting, if you have another battery i would use it why risk ruining such a nice light. If you have a DMM take some tail cap readings with that Panasonic with a fresh charge and if it isn't over 4 amps you should be OK.

I have several MF 3-mode XM-L's and they don't pull anywhere near 4A at the tailcap. Wonder what the difference is?

Battery?

Mostly Vf, that and a p60 spring probably doesn't contact as well as a screwed in pill.

DD is the reason I didn't get this light. It sound really good on the outside, but they just used the most cut rate drive method possible inside.

Welcome to BLF, IvoC my friend!

Thanks twice, E1320, for welcome and for suggestions! I'll try with DMM very carefully.

REgards IvoC

btw, Foy still did not show up?

Where are you, foy, did you your prety wife removed you from table, don't God grant from bed?

Regards Ivo