Fun flashlight activity to do with kids (finding Wolf Spiders)

Ah, but they are more afraid of you than you are of them!

I have seen this and assumed it was little droplets of dew…never closely examined it.

I kinda like spiders…so guess what I will be doing tonight? :slight_smile:

Awesome, thank you, my kids will love this

That’s exactly what it looks like! (untill you watch the dew drop crawl under a leaf)

Apparently they go into hiding when it is cold, venturing inside and such.
I just checked my yard and didn’t find any, haven’t really looked in the past few weeks.
Maybe I should have posted this during warmer weather.

When I got my first headlamp I too noticed the spiders. As you say, as long as the light is at eye level, they show up quite clearly.

Couldn't work out what the little blue reflections in the grass were for a while until I actually found one.

It's amazing just how many of the little buggers are crawling around out there after dark!

This is even more fun than hunting spiders!

It’s good to get over fears of nature — knowledge helps with that.

We figured out that our in-house ecosystem seems to support about one wolf spider per room — if we catch one and toss it out the door, another will move in, but occasionally I see a new one hunting the old one, and then only the new one’s around after a while.

Sure beats having mosquitoes and flies and pesticides in the house.

Awesome post! I wish we had them around here because I would love to shine for them.

Wolf spiders are a beneficial spiders…I like them, they grow pretty big

I love Wolf Spiders.

If you have a UV flashlight and live where there are scorpions, they glow bright green at night…

Our wireless router has two vertical plastic arials about 7 in. apart (18 cm). A couple of nights ago I noticed that a spider had put up a beautiful fine web between them and was sitting off to one side waiting for prey. I doubt that he/she will get anything this time of year but during the summer it would be great to get rid of some fruit flys. I don’t mind them at all and see them in the house and outside regularly.

John.

That pic with all the babies is crazy. Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

The spiders I dislike are the banana spiders (golden silk orb-weavers), build HUGE webs between the trees…walking to the car at night and I hit one of those, I go from fat guy to ninja in .3 seconds flat!

wonderful footnotes for that, including:

Gallagher, Terry. “Giant ‘gentle spiders’ collected in Taiwan for study at U-M-Dearborn”. The University Record Online (University of Michigan). Retrieved 17 August 2012.

Thompson, Helen (August 20, 2014). “Friendly Neighborhood Spiders Get Bigger in Cities”. Smithsonian. Retrieved August 21, 2014.

Those banana spiders are extremely common in Florida, but I’ve never seen them in the northeast. I would hate to be walking around and run into one of those.

Thread full of nope right here.

Great thread Angler.

I asked my wife to check out this thread last night since we are in the same state. When that amazing picture in the OP came up, she turned to me and told me to get it off the screen now. I immediately complied because she simultaneously gave me a look that could only be interpreted as, "Show me something like that again and you might be facing involuntary gender reassignment".

I love the ninja comments. I'm embarrassed to say that I go into immediate "Looks like I should be in an insane asylum mode" when I hit the big ol banana spider webs.

I live just north of the Houston area and while I have never been able to have any luck ” scorpion spotting ” I often see hundreds of the glowing wolf spider eyes while feeding my dog at night. Very cool looking spider but i still do not care to find them in my house.

This is very well said. If there are spiders in your environment it’s because there’s food for them there. Remove the food & the spiders will leave on their own. Just like in any ecosystem.

Our “in-house ecosystem” would make the Namib desert look “lush”, but we maintain a predator-friendly environment outside.

BTW, Wolf spiders mostly eat creepies and crawlies. Mosquitoes and flies are on the menu for the web weavers.

We do.

Your Location: says we’re neighbors, so check under loose piles of rock that tend to stay moist-to-wet & similar hiding places, especially near structures or any place crawling bugs like to live. If your Angling includes fly-fishing, creek and river banks are another good place to look. It’s really hard to see them during the day unless you chase them out onto concrete, but they’re probably closer than you think. They’re awesome, and ours don’t hurt when they sting, not even as much as a wasp. They’re ~the only predator (besides the odd lizard that darts through the door when we go out) that gets into our “in-house ecosystem”; unfortunately they all starve & that’s when we find them. :frowning: