FW3A, a TLF/BLF EDC flashlight - SST-20 available, coupon codes public

Finger wrap, cigars, thumb tips?

I donā€™t often grip bodies, but when I do itā€™s FBI!!!

They ruined the grippy machining marks with a slippery (and very common) anodisation.

And the original body reduction at a 90Ā° angle would have provided a bit more grip on the tailcap side when clicking the button.
Deal with those changes now. :smiling_imp:

Actually the way Iā€™d like to deal with the grip issue is to have a nice grippy Titanium body tube instead of anodized aluminum. Hopefully a titanium version will be forthcoming. :heart_eyes:

If you were stateside, Iā€™d swap for the bunny button

Your having a very real problem letting this go arenā€™t you Tally-ho? :wink:

Nothing was ā€œruinedā€, itā€™s just a bit different; and is perfectly fine.

The tube on this tiny light does not need anything to give better gripā€¦ IMO. And the 90Ā° angle would have provided very minimal, ā€™if anyā€™; more secure grip than the steep taper on the tail end does now.

You have made it clear many times you donā€™t like the FW3A as it turned out and that is perfectly fine. :+1:

But it is a great light as is. And nowā€¦. it is what it is.
Nothing is going to change that.

It really comes down to personal taste and how you like to use your light.

I love the FW3A. Great light. But to me, based on the way I use my light, it feels slippery. I just know itā€™s going to squirt out of my hands one of these days.

Iā€™m not a fan of the ā€œFBI gripā€. I find it much more comfortable to adjust the light after turn-on so it points forward out of my hand. I donā€™t want to have to change my grip style just, because the light is slippery with my preferred style.

+1

Exactly. This light is designed to be used with a cigar grip. The narrow part of the body goes between two fingers, which puts the button in a convenient place for thumb operation.

The center isnā€™t meant to be grippy, because the tail bevel provides grip instead of the texture of the aluminum. It can slide, but only as far as itā€™s meant to.

The old design had a 90-degree angle next to the clip instead of a steep bevel. It didnā€™t really help with grip, and it was less comfortable to use. It felt like the too-wide clip ring, only worse. It dug into the fingers with each button press.

I just added a thick black o-ring onto the narrowed tube, at the tail bevel and up against the ring of the clip, which now works perfectly for cigar grip.

I saw the FW3A photo sharing I receivedā€¦
Want to know if the FW3A looks different in color?
I am looking forward to it.(7A.3D)
Order on April 29 (#3601),
On May 8, I received news from Neal, and then he should have been busy with little babies.

trying to buy a couple of fw3a and iā€™m getting this text. Who else is going through this?

Just received my order today in Texas, two 3D lights, a holster, and one battery. They both work great in default mode (as shipped). Iā€™m a happy camper just waiting for the night!

My neighbor ordered one 3D flashlight with battery and holster. It was dead on arrival. He was very upset after waiting two years for something that didnā€™t even work. I went over to calm the boy down and tightened the driver lock ring at least half a round to secure the driver and that fixed it.

Double thanks to all who made this possible.

Note: Iā€™m referring to the lock ring in the head, not the tail.

Sounds like in addition to the warning not to loosen the tailcap, the FW3A should ship with a warning that ā€œin case your light doesnā€™t work, loosen the tailcap and then tighten itā€.

Just received my first FW3A! I will definitely be ordering more once the SST-20ā€™s are ready!
As a side note, I was pleased to see that the moonlight mode is significantly lower than a D4. Not ZL low, of course, but much more usable than my D4ā€™s.
Thanks so much, FW3A team!!

Iā€™ve been asked about the effect of the AR lens a couple times. Hereā€™s a quick test with my Viltrox work light. A slight increase to Duv and CCT but nothing too major.

Transmittance: 98.9%

Measurement Without lens With lens
CCT 4117K 4147K
Duv ā€“0.0054 ā€“0.0044
CRI (Ra) 96.3 96.6
CRI (R9) 90.0 92.2

I totally agree, like most anything else with this light or in life; it boils down to personal preference. :+1:

You find it ā€œslipperyā€ for your preferrer grip, I find it perfectly & easily grippedā€¦ no matter how I hold it.
I like a certain CCT, you like another, & someone else likes a third choice. Some like the clip, some hate it, & some could care less.

And so it goesā€¦ on & on. :smiley: . No right or wrong reallyā€¦ just personal preferences, wants, & opinions. :+1:

One question, if your holding the light in your hand pointing forward; how do you adjust itā€¦ with the other hand?

I flip the light 180 degrees in my hand which puts my thumb on the button. After adjusting, I flip it back. Entire thing is a 1-handed operation, but during the flip, Iā€™m pretty much holding the light entirely by the smooth portion of the body tube which isnā€™t secure.

OK ā€¦. :+1: . I understand it now.

You donā€™t find that awkward?? I guess not since you do it. :slight_smile:

I just flip my index finger on top, going right into the ā€œcigar gripā€; and press the button with my thumb & then drop the index finger back under the light going right back to holding the light again.