FW3A mod thread. Post yours!

BTW, the 3500mAh Efests aren’t 20A cells.

They are real 3500mAh 10A 18650s.

It did the job :smiley: .

Full glow:

Just trits:

Quite a difference.
That printed one looks pretty useless.

Nice extensive tutorial Firelight2. Because I can’t stick to minding my own business, here are some additions:
*the solder iron for this purpose (unsoldering led wires and reflowing leds by heating the board with an iron) must be clean and hot, and for this purpose the tip must be preferably of the chisel type. A 18W pointy solder iron is fine for soldering components on boards but not enough for this.
*when heating the underside of the board for reflowing leds, first load the tip with a blob of solder, to help the thermal contact between board an iron
*even if there is enough solder left on the pads of the board, I still apply a bit of solder paste on all the pads, the flux in the paste will help wetting the fresh solder pads on the new leds and the metal will bond better, it will prevent eventual cold solder joints.
*after reflow and seeing the leds jump into position I gently tap the top of the dome of the leds with a tooth pick, some solder may squeeze out under the leds and the solder layer will be thinner (better heat path)
*I found a cheap led tester very convenient to test reflows, I have this one, but I swapped the momentary switch for a clicky switch to have both hands free.

Pin 7 is free. That’s what I did on mine (posted a few weeks ago).

That looks great! So how long did you wait for the GITD ring to “fade off” from light exposure before taking that photo? If the tritium is strong “just” enough to cause some illumination of the GITD ring, that’s really cool. And innovative — haven’t seen anything like this before. I may end up not waiting and getting a GITD insert to do this mod. :slight_smile:

The full glow is after around 5sec turbo.

The trits only shot I took after an hour. But it looks fairly similar after half an hour.

Kawi and others,

For those who stripped the anno did you disassemble or rely on waterproofing?

Since I don’t think any threads are anodized I guess we can do it either way so i’m looking to see what others did.

Anyone know where I could get a 10507 Carclo optic here in the UK.

They are about £2.50GBP but $20 shipping.

Google lists some outlets as UK but once you get to shipping its listed as International.

I bead blasted mine ( completely stripped the light first) so I don’t really know what caustic solutions will do to the threads. I would do what you can to protect the threads. Bead blasting is hard on the threads, you will lose the smoothness and have to polish them to gain the smoothness back. So I keep the light together with the o-rings and seal the open ends.

This is kind of different…

Thanks Firelight2 & djozz for putting this together. I’ve assembled this into a PDF for convenience. LINK.

Neat! Neo from The Matrix would buy that from you in a second (assuming he got his normal eyesight restored, of course). :wink:

OK… so the trits actually might not have any noticeable influence. An hour later isn’t long enough to know if the GITD has totally worn off. I find that my Tec Accessories GITD key fob will be slightly glowing like 7 hours after exposure to a bright flashlight.

Just been messing around, you know what excites TRIT’s?

UV lite… maybe a couple really small UV emitters on a board under optics full of Trits…UV even excites the phosphorous of the main triple emitters…

Gives an eery cast to the optics as well…. very different INDEED!

Need a very small board and UV emitter placed directly in the middle of the main triple board with a resistor added….

Ah yes, I’d heard about that. Well they do make UV emitters, but AFAIK they’re all the large 3mm and 5mm dome pin type. It would be cool if there was a micro SMD mounted LED that touches into the UV spectrum. And you wouldn’t need much power either. Maybe have them run at 20% of capacity? That would create quite the tritium light show.

Does UV exposure accelerate the half-life of tritium?

Good question… if I can find something small enough to fit, I’d give it a shot……

Probably not. The tritium half-life is a nuclear reaction. UV wavelengths don’t have enough energy to effect this process. The UV exposure may however wear out the phosphors in the trits which are ultimately responsible for emitted light. Not sure though what type of phosphors are used in this application. Some decay, others are fairly resilient.

Found some EDGELEC 0603’s UV prewired… got the last set…

Interesting. I know nothing about the phosphors used with tritium, but yeah that makes sense they might experience some degradation while radioactive tritium should be unaffected. Thanks.

Cool! The 0603’s look to be just about the right size. I can’t get over how small the 0403’s are. You’d need some pretty seriously precise equipment to deal with it!

After eight hours the non glow picture looks the same. The orange glowring is dead within an hour after a short charge.