FW3A Troubleshooting / FAQ

Nope, not when I first turn it on. It’s not a big deal becuase the light is usually locked(4 button press) anyway. I did notice the button on the Ti one is much more sensitive than the aluminum one, hardly any “click” either. The button on the aluminum one is a bit more stiff and has a better feel to me, I’ll probably switch them as the Ti version will be my edc now.

Current best estimate is mid-late next week.

Thanks!

Help —— I recieved a light from Amazon today— I noticed when I put it on my lumen tube it ramped down very quickly from Turbo— Also I noticed it ramped down pretty quick from the ramp ceiling— I thought no big deal I’ll set the thermal config later— It came XPL-1A—that had to go so I put some Samsung 4k in it—Much better

Ok same old problem with quick ramp down at the top of the ramp—I set the thermal max very high—didn’t help— if I set the ceiling any where above 400 lumens it will ramp down in about 10 seconds— the crazy part is —it will ramp down to around to around 300 lumens then work its way back up almost to the ceiling and say there forever—also another crazy thing is —-I set the light to 5 modes —If I run the light on mode 4 for a minute or so then go to mode 5 (ceiling) it will stay there and not ramp down

Hopefully some one has had this problem—I’m too old for this crap :person_facepalming:

Are you saying you changed out the LEDs?
You may have damaged/shorted out the driver.
Or maybe those chips can not handle the current?

This light has an issue with the signal from the switch. Use a swab to clean the tailcap and driver boards with alcohol.

It doesn’t sound like either of those things scosgt.

It sounds like maybe the temperature calibration is way off. It might think the room temperature is way higher than it really is.

I would let it cool down fully internally, maybe sit for an hour, then reset the ambient tempertaure.

PS, depending on the leds and battery, Turbo might only last 10 to 15 seconds.

You know a lot more than I do, but I would not start doing mods until I had the thing working properly.
It is hard to know if there is a defect or he messed something up.
And you are correct. On some lights you have to use a low drain battery with certain LED sets.

I tried to explain really well what was going on—I have the thermal set so high that when Turbo starts ramping down you can’t hardly touch the light—- When it starts ramping down at the Ceiling height it’s barely warm —then after it ramps down to around the next lower mode it starts going back up to almost the ceiling height and stays there forever

I’m thinking it’s either a ground issue or bad driver—I had current ripple cause the UI to go crazy and reset but this is totally new— I have 3 other FW3As none act like tis one

As far as messing it up—If you read in my first post the light was doing it from the start—I can put the other LEDs back in it and off to Amazon it will go —If need be

Oh great. Let me know of you do so I won’t buy one there. They have a habit of sending me returned goods.

Yep, it sounds like the light thinks the ambient temp is maybe 45°C instead of 21°C. So it quickly goes up maybe 10° to 20° and ramps down.

The ambient temps are not set at the factory so the chips are usually off to a certain degree. Some are off a little, but some are off a lot.

If this is not the problem, I’m can’t think of anything else to try.

I still think it could be a switch issue.
Clean all the inner tube contact points with alcohol
Since you have another of these, swap out the tail caps.
That would give you a starting point.
Then swap out the heads.
At least you will know what works, it might be a clue.
I have 4 of these, and every single one had a switch issue out of the box.

He has not mentioned anything related to the switch. (Hardware)

He has talked about the thermal step down. (Software)

The two are not related.

Muggle mode has a bug that sometimes causes the light to step down way too fast, but he probably knows if he is in muggle mode or not.

I was thinking intermittant signals from the switch causing it to act funny

One ofthe first things I did was put the problem head on a known working light—the problem is in the head—did the same thing

I think it’s the firmware. I was trying to compare my sst-20 to a modded one at max ramp on sphere. Both step down before the reading will even settle down <10 seconds. One is this Amazon light and one a copper light I flashed with newer FW. I didn’t think much of it at the time.

EDIT:

Did more testing. Set one light to 23c ambient (it was cold) and another was already reporting 21c. Set ceiling to 30 clicks on one and 35 clicks on the other (60-65c). Battery was 3.7 and 4.1. One is Copper (SST-20) with newer firmware I flashed myself, one is FW3A from newer Amazon stock (LH351D, modded):

Never went to turbo at any point just ramped to max ramp and wrote down lumens every few seconds:

Basically goes into the panic mode then corrects itself, on both lights. I even tried briefly to start and just under ramp ceiling (4xx lumens) and it does the same just to a much lesser extent. The fall is quick and the rise is slow (er)

I think it’s hard to believe a swamp person but Chops is right. :wink:

Now wait a minute JK —— Lately I’ve been on a kick to try and figure my lights sustained output—all these flashy numbers are cool but when I use a light I want to know what it’s really capable of—— That’s why I was testing at the top ceiling reading—My original group buy FW3A with the XPL 3D ceiling set at around 750-800 lumens doesn’t have this problem—- took some fooling with thermal and ceiling height to get it this way

The crazy part if you’re out in the yard that ramping down and back up again isn’t that noticable

My early one isn’t stock firmware anymore so I couldn’t verify. Maybe there’s a review that has a runtime test that starts with max regulated?

Zak’s review has this.

Hard to verify but looks like this may have always been how it worked. This test is way longer than my test of only a few minutes. I guess the ~30 minute climb is due to the 7135’s burning off less overhead as battery runs down close to led voltage