Warning to potential buyers (2021)
The FW3A design has been changed many times since launch, with quite a few downgrades. It is not the same light any more. The 2021 model appears to be downgraded so much that it is no longer compatible with the upstream FW3A firmware. It’s missing an entire power channel, as shown in the pic below.
Additionally, the FW1A has been downgraded in at least two major ways — the reflector no longer focuses correctly, and the driver no longer has the primary regulated power channel.
These are only a few of the many downgrades though. Almost every time a new batch was produced, people reported surprising new changes, and most were not for the better. Several vendors have dropped the entire product line because it had too many problems and they had to issue too many refunds.
So, be warned: If you buy a FW3A, FW1A, or any of its other derivatives, you probably won’t get the light described in this thread.
Left: Original FW3A driver. Right: Downgraded version from 2020-12.
Original top post:
The FW3A has now officially launched, with nearly 3000 items requested on the interest lists of two forums. And with such a big project, there will undoubtedly be some trouble. Come here to shoot it.
This is a place for people to get information about known issues and how to solve them. And a place to report new issues so they can be investigated.
Teacher has collected common questions into a FAQ for everyone’s convenience. Check here for a summary of the information posted so far: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/56661
- Insert the battery from the front, not the back. Don’t remove the tailcap.
- If the light acts strange, make sure the driver retaining ring is tight. Also make sure the tailcap is tight — very tight. Loosen the tail a bit, loosen the head, then tighten the tail as much as you can by hand, then tighten the head.
- If you haven’t calibrated the temperature sensor yet, you probably should. This fixes things like “steps down in muggle mode”. The process is described here.
How to get support / contact Neal
Neal is the primary retailer and main contact for purchase support. Here’s how to get in touch with him if you have a broken light or need other help:
- Neal on BLF: private message
- Neal’s email: Nealsgadgets@hotmail.com
- Neal on Facebook: here
- Neal on Whatsapp: +86 13268276160