gauging interest, keygos m10

Ok, it seems there’s some interest in a keygos m10 mod.

I posted the exact details on fitting a driver here

I will point out again, this is an extremely easy mod and I encourage people to do it themselves.

I would choose this light

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150757987007&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=63960753391

Unless keygos themselves are cheaper on a bulk order….

Please note, keygos themselves do not recognise the m10a designation, what you get seems to be a pure lottery.

I would then fit this driver

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/4a-3mode-2745v-circuit-board-p-546.html

This is what makes the so called “gords edition m10”, to me, it makes the light. This will all depend on the amount of drivers available.

Taking into account shipping to the states (i’d have to check other locations, but the states I know the shipping cost). I could make up and ship lights at prices of :-

Plain black, original emitter :- $45
Flamed, original emitter:- $55
Plain black different emitter:- $50 upwards depending on emitter (i’d have to check pricing accordingly)
Flamed, different emitter:- $60 upwards depending on emitter

As you can see, shipping makes this an expensive job, particularly considering how easy it is to build it yourself. However, if there is some interest, I will build some, for me, with a young family and busy job (its about to get much busier too) the less interest the better to be perfectly honest.

Now, the hard bit. I’m not flush with money, I would need cash up front to order hosts, drivers and any emitters necessary, then its waiting on the post, build the lights and ship them out….wait on post again. This to me does not sound ideal, and requires a lot of faith in someone you don’t know, but it is what it is and I won’t lie. The astute will see I make a little per light too. Again I won’t lie or hide this, but we’re talking some work, and Mrs gords would kick my ass out if this was not worth while to my family. As blasphemous as this sounds, someone else’s light is not worth my families break up. If interest is too high, I would have to break it up into batches and pm people as their batch came up.

Anyway, enough rambling. I really hope I’ve convinced people to do it themselves, as its an easy in to the world of modding.

Yours, gords.

Graham.

Edited to correct pricing mistake.

I nearly added “check out dales post below the header” lol :beer:

I stand by my threat, your banned from pictures dale! :bigsmile:

+1

ive read up on this mod… i think i am going to do it myself… but it is tempting to get a nice flamed host from you as well (yes i currently have about 4 other ongoing projects… but who cares.)

trying to see if i can get a hold of an xml2u2 on copper from my elite friend :slight_smile:

edit: looks like thats the best price for a host i can find… is there a difference between m10 and m10a?

There are rumours on m10/m10a, the only difference I know is the m10a has a star marked xm-l u2… Keygos does not list an m10a, make of that what you will.

I do suggest doing it yourself, its a real easy mod, with the flaming, don’t screw everything down tight once stripped, allow for the thickness of the lense, that was one mistake I made.

It’ll be kick arse with an xm-l2, I did find though, the xm-l2 will only pull 3.3a so runs for longer, still damm bright with a nice beam. :bigsmile:

yeah, from what i have read the xml2 pulls less current… vinh did some tests on cpf and said the xml2 would only pull 3.8-4a direct drive on 26650 imr…. compared to an xmlu2 which he tested to 8a direct drive (led was on metal plate floating in a bowl of water lol)

i was going to grab a xmlu3 from led tech but they are only stocking xmlu2 now…. booo

anyone know WTB xmlu3 or xml2u2 mounted on copper? they seem to be in high demand now.

:cowboy_hat_face:

dale - is that an xmlu3?

Nope, thats the emitter that came in the light, star marked xm-l u2. Bright innit? 8)

Edit, I have an xm-l u3 on an alu star, i’m not convinced I could pick the difference between mine and dales. I’d suggest if your swapping the emitter, find an xm-l2 nw, rather than an xm-l u3, similar brightness but much nicer tint. I’ve just built a c8 upgrade with the same driver and a nw xm-l2….love it, its awesome.

Nope Ba-dass 3.7a m10… Lol

I managed to procure an xml2 u2 on 18mm copper sink pad last night. I have an x5 from DD in transit which I’m going to try and mod first. Everyone is on cny anyways till Feb 15 and will probably be dealing with a large volume of parcels for the week after that.

Amen brutha!

I am still considering this light myself with a nice driver swap, but sometime off in the future. I would just do it myself too. I did consider asking you to mod one for me (before you even posted this thread).

-Garry

Gary, you already have pretty much this very light sans flaming :bigsmile: just in 18650 form, wait for the 3600 + 18650 cells later in the year and you won’t be missing out on much. How’s the little thing doing for you? I know it wants an xm-l 4c, but that’s no problem to fit.

I wouldn't call them pretty much the same (KE-5 we're talking here for those on the "outside"), although I've yet to see an M10 in person. Maybe you should send me one to compare the two :) - just kidding. The KE-5 is working out well. Bright as he11 down to moonlight! I carry it with me day to day in the car on my commute to/from work (but also carry the Defiant Super Thrower which, to be honest, I pick up more often to play with). I've been meaning to retest tailcap current since I saw spikes above 4A the first time.

I must say though, I like the style of the KE-5 way more than my KD C8!

-Garry

I thought you’d like it, its a snappy little thing that’s for sure.

I think you’d be more into a project me and dale are putting together, so far its looking like c8. Xp-g2 nw, two reflectors have been ordered two stage op and smooth, see which gives the best beam. Doctor Jones has put forward an interesting driver option I need to speak to dale about called guppydrv. Should be quite cool imo.

i also considered asking you to mod one for me before you started this thread. when i got my blf a8 edition 3 days ago, i was kinda dissapointed. the light itself is very nice, but im just not satisfied with the beam. i was expecting something floodier and brighter.
but yea, the overseas shipping is the killer.

if anyone in the states was planning to mod one, id like one from you please hahah. i have no experience whatsoever and not likely gonna start soon. id be willing to trade my brand new blf a8 and cash if interested also.

It’s shipping and the exchange rate that kills it, for UK members it’d work out about twenty five to thirty quid, huge difference. :~