GB BLF LuckySun D80-SE Need long tubes? -3/3/16

This is get'n, I mean is, silly stupid. I ain't no tester and BL SAM took what I posted totally out of context - doesn't even deserve a reply. There's no reasoning or explaining that can be made to un-rational, intentional malicious postings. Get the clear picture by reading my posts, not the these stupid malicious out-of-context quotes by BLS... Please... I'm done here, unsubscribed Smile.

Tom E, my sarcastic query was directed at BLS. Not you. No malice intended.

I think he knows, maybe pm him to be sure, in case he unsubscribed.
Not mentioning any names, but BLS really has inappropriate manners and expectations, and would really be on my nerves if I was part of this group buy.

Wrong, see below. I ordered mine with the code and was not part of the testing for this group buy. I have no issues on the stock drivers I have checked, all above 4A. The one with a BLF A6 driver is not that much more impressive, until I changed it to a XP-G2 S2 2B.

I like my light. Enough that I bought a second. Mine is brighter than the factory made light I use as a comparison. That is good enough for me.

I think it would be interesting to see someone with a light sphere subject the light to an honest lumen test, rather than the back and forth about amps. The amps that come out of the battery are less important to me than the amount of light that comes out the front end. But that is just my way of looking at it.

I’m a little confused… is the short tube problem random or is all current inventory available guaranteed to have a short tube? Is this the last batch, so that the only way to get a proper length tube is to order a spare? Lastly, if you order now, can they hold off on shipping and send with a closely matched replacement tube?

Sorry if I missed this, but does the driver have low voltage battery protection? I read the led stays on dimley when the battery is low. That has me a little concerned because with all the talk of protected cells not fitting I was planning on using unprotected cells in this light.

There is no low voltage protection. When it dims, turn it off and change/charge battery.

To use most protected cells, you would need to add you name to list of those wanting the extra (2mm I think) tube @$2.99 See OP by Krono.

Note: Deadline 1/11/15 for longer battery tube interest list

(Updated in OP)

Please add me on the tube list for quantity of 2.

Thanks.

[/quote]
Anybody else?

Anybody else?
[/quote]

Any other measurements are taken with a grain of salt, because of thickness of DMM leads and so on.

You make me wonder.

I am planning to buy this but maybe next month because i currently have no funds in my paypal. But i am afraid it will be out of stock next month and if that happens i’ll buy the normal LuckySun D80. So what’s the difference between this BLF edition and the normal D80? Better reflector?

Kronos, please put me down for one longer tube. Thanks

After testing my light with the 1A tint led using a fully charged HE4 and 30Q and only coming up with around 3 amps at the tailcap I hooked the driver up to my power supply to see if there was a problem.
With the below results I believe the low readings using the batteries mentioned above are caused by the battery positive contact to the driver.
Cleaning the battery positive and driver contact improved results slightly.

Input volts to driver

Current reading input side of driver

Which makes better contact in the BLF D80-SE?

One longer tube please.

Comparing outputs against my BLF A6 (1A) and my Convoy C8 XM-L2 U2 1A (dedomed), the D80’s outputs seem more consistent with
1111 / 576 / 221 / 141 / 10 lumens (Post No. 1244)
than
1359 / 690 / 273 / 166 / 12 lumens (Post No. 1690).

The D80 probably would benefit from spring bypasses.

The third and fourth modes are spaced much too closely. Looked at directly, the two outputs appear to be virtually the same. Only by doing a ceiling bounce test is there a noticeable difference in brightness.

PWM is there, but is very hard to detect at the highest modes. It was raining when I was trying out my flashlight, so by concentrating on the raindrops, I could discern some PWM on high. Otherwise, I could not tell it was there on high. At the lowest mode, it is (IMO) very obvious. Movement of objects or shifting of the focus of the eye sometimes results in a staccato of images, the effect is especially pronounced with peripheral vision. Overall, I found the PWM to be negligible in the highest two modes, not bad for the next two modes, and borderline bothersome for the lowest mode. People sensitive to PWM will not like this flashlight on low.

The beam profile sits about halfway between the A6 and the C8. The A6 has a very large center spot feathering smoothly to relatively wide and bright spill. The D80 has a well-defined center spot with reasonably bright spill. And the C8 has a tight center spot with diminished spill. With the increase in center spot intensity, each flashlight throws successively farther than the other.

Size, throw, beam characteristics, and output-wise; the D80 sits about halfway between the A6 and the C8. It fills the gaps and complements the set.

Oh, I forgot to mention the tint. The D80 3C tint matches closely with the A6 3C tint. A neutral white, slightly warmish (hint of gold). Very nice!

And the build quality is excellent. Everything fits and feels and looks great. The inside edges of the tailcap and bezel, as well as the inside edge of the body tube are nicely rounded - not left machine sharp like on some other flashlights. Nice, square threads glide smoothly. LED nicely centered. Clean lens. Clean mirror, free of smudges or other imperfections. Tail button is firm, but responsive.

Kudos to Kronological, Dale, GearBest and LuckySun on a great flashlight.

Before I order extra tubes, could anyone with two or more D80's answer my question (I asked this already somewhere above): Do I see correctly that the threading on both sides of the battery tube is the same, and that the tube is almost the length of a 18650, in other words: can an extra battery tube also be used as an extention tube for 2x18650?