[GB-Feedback] Supfire M6 Upgraded Version

Aside from the obvious UI gripes pointed out already, I'm really quite a big fan of the M6. Definitely a step up from the SRK.

I wouldn't do that with a crappy ****fire battery though... might not end well.

A camera is a bit different. The tripod mount is usually on the bottom, where you donā€™t see it, plus, oftentimes or always (for me) in a case, and if thatā€™s the case, the screw actually attaches the case to the camera.

With the M6, that hole is just ā€œout thereā€ to be seen. I actually thought it was the switch button when i first got the light :)ā€¦

Iā€™ll check out some bolts, as you suggested.

Thanks,
Jim

Ya know, I was just about to edit thatā€¦thanks, previous post deleted.

No guarantee that it works, but their description seems to indicate that it has some kind of low battery protection?

http://www.supfire.com/product/20130704234_en.html

I know itā€™s a heavy light, and I may be imagining it, but if you squeeze the battery tube, it kind of feels like the metal ā€œgivesā€. I didnā€™t try squeezing it really hard, for fear of denting it permanently, though.

Also, on the tube, on those sunken strips/channels, on mine, each one has a small white/silver ā€œspotā€ at the front end of the channel. Iā€™m not sure if it didnā€™t get anodized or what?

EDIT: I think that you can actually see those spots on the light on their web page:

http://www.supfire.com/product/20130704234_en.html

They look like reflections, but I donā€™t think they are.

Hereā€™s a perfect solution. I just checked a pack of nylon license plate bolts that I got from Auto department store. (Oreileys I believe) You know, those rotating racks they have when you first enter the auto store? They just happen to be 1/4 x 20tpi and are marked on the pack as so. Perfect Solution.

And they are BLACK NYON. All you would have to do is hack saw one to length. Cheap and EZ.

Mine is the same. I read somewhere they flatten those ā€œpointsā€ so your battery is not gouged when twisting and turning the battery case. Seems like they would do that before the anodizingā€¦.dunno.

I don't know that I would trust it at all. If the batteries were in series, yes, but since they are in parallel, and it starts on high, I wouldn't trust it to provide any protection with only one battery. I guess with 2, or 3 it should be ok, but definitely risky with one.

I would be using a 1/4ā€™ā€™ UNC Cadmium or chrome plated phillips head roofing screw in it. They have a very big head which looks like it would cover nearly all the polished area around the thread and the ones I use have a large phillips head and flat blade screw driver slots which would make removal or fitment easy even with a narrow coin. They also have a very short profile.

Maybe we should do a GB on those :)ā€¦

I got a dollar store tripod (small tabletop kind) which I think ill take apart for the screw. Hacksaw it to size and dremel a horizontal slot.

What yall think?

One of the LEDs in one of mine diedā€¦ they are mounted on a triple star. Didnā€™t have a replacement XML T6 to solder on, so I am putting three XML2/T6/3Cā€™s in it on 20mm noctigonsā€¦ also one of my 3x3A custom SRK driversā€¦ thermal adhesive is curing right nowā€¦

Should do 2700-3000 real, honest, American lumensā€¦

Did you use the stock metal contact rings?
Mine is still sitting here disassembledā€¦

I removed the old driver, re-installed the driver retaining ring, and my driver sits on top of the retaining ring (with a piece of double-sided tape keeping it in place).

I decided to use the stock emitter plateā€¦ the M6 reflector would short to the Noctigons and I did not want to mess with insulating it (plus the wire thickness would cause the reflector to sit a little high). Iā€™m going to use XML2 U2ā€™s on it (or U3ā€™s if I can find them)ā€¦ oh well, bye-bye to nice tintsā€¦

The wires connect to the stock emitter plate near the edge where the reflector canā€™t get to them.

I guess you havenā€™t used the beefy metal ring for the positive contact anymore, that is sad I like it.

I wondered if the 35mm 3XML copper board which sinkpad has advertised in their last newsletter would fit any common lightā€¦.?

If I could find a source of those rings, Iā€™d try one. Looks hard to get off the old driver without some serious destructionā€¦