GB/intrest thread for the Eagle Eye X5R Host

Maybe interested when more details come about.

It’s not any longer than the Nitecore P12, Fenix PD35, or Thrunite TN12, which I think more closely relate to this light (tail switch + side button).

Hi guys, updated the first post with more details.

Wish this was for the Eagle Eye X6R.

jescereal, yes you are right - I didn’t realize from the photos there’s secondary switch in the tail. Maybe I’m a little too much fixated on MH20 and the likes :blush: Besides, all photos I’ve seen obscure tail part of the light - I wonder why…

I second that. X6R looks much better to me as is well-proportioned.

But the main issue remains - anybody know of any generic driver that will handle two-switch operation?

X6R is in similar category to the X6 which we already made gb for, sorry guys.

It comes with the e-switch and usb port pcb? I was hoping for a dual-switch driver piggybac while retaining the usb charging function

Can you please elaborate this in layman terms, so i can forward the info? thanks.

:confused:

This x5r has a e-switch (momentary tact) side button and a micro usb port in the head. To use this host properly requires a pcb to hold the switch and usb port in the right location. This pcb needs to be the right diameter and shape. So, in order for anyone to use this x5r host they would either need the pcb or need the exact measurements (including exact position of button and usb port) to create their own pcb.
A similar pcb is used in the x6r. Image from post 79

The blue pcb.

Exactly. Without the original "guts, (meaning electronics)", the light is not much good as a host. You would not have a lighted button and you would have a hole where the charging port should be. I am afraid it would be better to do a GB on the whole light and let people just change the emitter. I'm not trying to put you down, but it would be hard for most anyone to mod this light and have something that looked good and worked good.

Just my thoughts.

Completely agree. Bare host without electronics won’t probably be popular enough to reach 100 pcs. At GearBest XM-L2 cool version costs $22,08 so it’s not worth the hassle to buy bare host and not have any option at using generic driver. GB with LED selection or without LED altogether would be more popular.

I’ll upload a picture of the X5R driver tonight…. Its a T-shaped ordeal

edit: Here are the pics. Not exactly easy to mod and keep the charger working, but possible with a custom PCB

Thanks for the pics PD… it seems like modding it while keeping the charging function is out of my skill range, I thought it would be more like the X6R where driver and charging PCBs were independent.

As other have mentioned a GB for the complete light would be a better idea…

Would be tough… But we have some mighty find board designers here. I would see it as a round board and the tail with parts for FET + 7135 and the second board that forms the T with part from one of the tiny USB charging modules. It would add 1 chip and maybe 7 or 8 other parts to make it work.

But, is it worth the effort since it would be the only light to use it? :frowning:

So based on the problematic pcb design, i guess this is a no go? heh that’s sad.

Any host you guys think that is above the rest - while being affordable - something you would prefer?

The board doesn’t actually seem too bad to me. Could be worse. And there is quite a bit of room to work with.
Pilotdog68, do you still have the board out?

It’s a shame that I just find this light kind of ugly.

What if the host was changed to the non-charging EE X5, would that make modding easier? Or is the whole point so that people can buy a charging host?

Yeah I still have it out

Could you measure the diameter of the round spring board and the overall height? Plus maybe the depth of the driver cavity / does the T board butt up against the top of the cavity?

I know this is an old thread, but just fyi. To offer e-switch light hosts in the future (I for one would very much would want/like), you need a switch solution in the host kit.

So, options:

• (best) switch mounted in the side (but removable like an SRK), and include the switch with the 2 wires (or more) coming out
  • (secondary) if board mounted, include the bare driver PCB, but with the switch mounted. As long as we got pads for Batt+ and Batt-, we can work out something

USB charging is a waste for us at this point. Unless you could include the USB charging with the host, as a separate entity of the driver. Some day we might have custom USB charging designs, but that seems a little off in the future, perhaps.

No one to blame here, but e-switch hosts have been offered before, and also, had very little interest. Think Simon tried it as well, but again, had no switch solution.