GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

Can someone please advise which cells will give maximum output in this new 2X ? Runtime is second to output.
I’d prefer maximum of $10 each ( $US )

cheers. :slight_smile:

Panasonic (or Maxtoch which is a rebranded panasonic) 3400mAh protected buttontops.

Sweet cheers. I have Panasonic & Sanyo cells, but want a new pair specifically for this torch.
I shall visit some sites immediately :smiley:

Amanda can provide two batts in torch with yr order - acceptable to airlines. We’re also looking at another way to get small quantities overseas.

Email her for details: amanda@maxtoch.cn

Excellent ! Thanks. I can pretty much guarantee it has not been sent yet.

Hi. The amp draw on each cell will be very low, probably around 2.5 amps each. You should see no performance difference if used with high capacity cells. The Panasonic 3400mah or maybe LG MJ1 3500mah will be good choices. I see the MJ1s are a bit more than what you want to pay, the Panasonics might then be what you need. Make sure you get button tops, you might have issues with contact between the cells with flat tops. :wink:

Edit: Sorry, the MJ1s go for $12.35 for 2 at FastTech - think these are flat tops. MTN Electronics has button tops for $8.55 each. The protected MJ1s go for $9.45 at RMM.

I agree with Mudgripz and shrick on the output. The 2X and M24 both use a buck driver which regulates the output no matter if you use high drain cells or good protected cells , the output should be fairly consistant.

Maxtoch DOES recommend protected cells in the 2X and M24. If you get through to Maxtoch (Amanda) before they ship your light go ahead and order a pair from Maxtoch as they will ship 2 of the Maxtoch 3400mAh (Panasoinc with Maxtoch wrapper) protected cells for ($8.45ea) $15.90 total , inside the light.

I thought I was going to announce the final specs and a price by today , but it looks like it will be just a short while longer. I have not gotten the final OK from Maxtoch yet to proceed with the GB but I am expecting it to happen just any day now so bare with me just a little longer.

Also updated in OP

I came here after a long break to see if BLF’ers had ever made a thrower head for the BLF A6 group buy (sadly, it seems not; I really still think that would be a huge hit, so obvious, inexpensive, and doable). I ended up here after a post in a “budget thrower” thread. The BLF A6 is SO unexpectedly/amazingly useful, it’s (happily for me) killed my desire/need to buy further handheld flashlights, EXCEPT for wanting a serious thrower. After seeing the slow-burn Cometa debacle, my conclusion is it’ll be awhile before a manufacturer finally makes a respectable zoomie worthy of us by working directly with us, the way the BLF A6 came about from Manker, and now the 2x from Maxtoch.

Do the forum members who do the dev work for Maxtoch get compensated? This and the BLF A6 prove that those who use flashlights, know more about them than those who make them. That is not true for things like, say, cars. I can’t imagine the money it would take for a mfr to go into the field with that kind of experimentation. So, I guess, the manufacturers just don’t do the research. Seems to me the people who contribute so much to the design should get a percentage, or something. More than just a tester prototype they get to keep.

I also find it weird to see extremely powerful lights having only 3 brightness modes. Reminds me of the Sky Ray King-esque multi-cell multi-LED producers of walls of light—and for your money you get 3 levels. I guess in THIS model it could be argued it makes some sense for hunters, as this is sold as a dedicated hunting light (and I know many self-defense people often only want one mode), but otherwise, it makes no sense to me. I have, what, at least six modes on my stock BLF A6 (not as powerful), and I use them all. I mean, how ’bout throwing in another mode there, a whopping four.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d like to see a “shorty” (I won’t call it a ‘single cell’) tube which can fit two 18340’s or some other variety of half-length 18650 cells, for those folks who don’t need that super-long runtime. The amperage needed per cell is very tame; high-end small cells can easily provide that. This is the only thing I prefer about the Javelot: it’s shorter. So despite the criticism by comparison in another thread, it appears to be doing a lot on one cell.

However, I’ve never brought myself to pay this much for a torch, so if I do, I want it to be balls-out. The 2x appears to be state of the art for this (upcoming) price point. What are the competing extreme throwers in this or slightly lower price range? I personally don’t care about spill (and would actually prefer none). A previous poster suggested a de-domed XP-G2 would still out-throw this one (albeit with less spill, I’d expect); that is interesting. I don’t have time or will to mod, so I want my purchase to be right at this amount of money.

Will the pressure switch for the M24 work on this model? Mtn Electronics sells an M24 pressure switch, BTW. I think the remote switch will be important for a lot of buyers. Especially if we can’t get a ‘shorty’ model.

brjones I will answer the best I can to some of your questions………

1.“Do the forum members who do the dev work for Maxtoch get compensated?”

I have received a prototype for testing before the 6amp HI was rejected. Other than that NO.

2.“I also find it weird to see extremely powerful lights having only 3 brightness modes”

This is a hunting light and a lot of modes really are not needed for hunting.

3.“Maybe it’s just me, but I’d like to see a “shorty” (I won’t call it a ‘single cell’) tube which can fit two 18340’s or some other variety of half-length 18650 cells, for those folks who don’t need that super-long runtime. The amperage needed per cell is very tame; high-end small cells can easily provide that. This is the only thing I prefer about the Javelot: it’s shorter”

The M24 with a 4.5 amp board and dedomed U4 emitter will do about 300K lux, I am not sure how much or IF that number drops on one cell but Maxtoch does make a single 18650 tube that works with the M24.

4.” What are the competing extreme throwers in this or slightly lower price range?”

I am not aware of any extreme throwers in the same price range that will come close to the 2X to be honest. You may do some modding and get lights that will throw as far , but from the factory , straight out of the box , doing 360K lux or 1450 lumens and 1200 meters of throw and at this price, I also would like to know if someone finds any.

5.“A previous poster suggested a de-domed XP-G2 would still out-throw this one (albeit with less spill, I’d expect); ”

Again I don’t think you are going to find it straight from the factory even close to the 2X. Also again the 2X IS a hunting light and the spill is needed/used for sweeping large areas quickly (a purpose designed light)

I am not sure about the pressure switch working with the 2X. I am reasonably sure it does work with the 2X but not certain, I will find out though for sure. Or maybe mudgripz or gadgetman will chime in and know for certain.
Maxtoch sells the Maxtoch branded pressure switch for their lights through Aliexpress

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-2X-and-2X-Rat-Tail-Pressure-Remote-Control-Switch-Suitable-for-MAXTOCH-2X-and-2S/32599446764.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.164.wQIq4T&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_4_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_1&btsid=b468b28f-0e60-4aa2-9a2f-037a061539fc

EDIT: In the M24 GB I did for the higher amp M24 we were able to purchase the pressure switches for $5 each , it is possible that could be the case again with the 2X GB. As I had stated (updated in OP) I am still waiting on the final OK’s or rejections on everything to move forward with it.

I didn’t know they had a single-cell tube for the M24 Sniper. If it interchanges with the new light I’m sure to get one. I’m also wondering if my old Sniper pressure switch will fit the new version?

Phil

I was thinking Amanda had said the Group Buy would be starting after the 8th, could be my memory again. And yes, I’m pretty sure the pressure switch is listed on the site in conjunction with the 2X Hunter.

Robo will be getting these answers directly from Amanda so I don’t reckon there’s any need for 100 of us to send emails. lol

Eagerly anticipating, and I too would be one to go with a shorter length tube and a pair of 18350’s…

Hey Dale I updated about the GB a few post up and in the OP yesterday. but it will be a few more days as I am waiting on some final answers still.

Amanda told me the single cell tube will not work with the new 2X.

The pressure switch should work with the 2X , M24 and the SN6X as well.

Robo, thank you for the great answers.

I wouldn’t bite on their ‘non-introductory’/normal price (I see the price on Ali has gone back up), but with the Group Buy (which I hope and trust will be better than the ‘introductory’), I just may bite. If so, I’ve waited a LOOONG for a light like this. For a lot of us (including me), this would be our most expensive flashlight purchase ever. I’m always amazed at people, esp on the ‘budget’ forum who seem to buy a $100+ light every month or two (not that I’m knocking—there _are_worse ways to spend/lose money). But the fact is, some quick research last night suggested that to get a light of this performance out of the box elsewhere, you’d have to spend a lot more money. Like an Acebeam modded by CPF’s Vinh or something. Many/most? of us just won’t spend that kind of money on any light, so Maxtoch appears to want to sell to people like us: an untapped market.

Bouncing off what DB Custom said: I think if we could demonstrate to Amanda, that we KNOW the difference between a “shorty tube” and a “single cell tube”, we might make some progress if there is interest from others (if so, I’d like to hear!). Those tubes are so cheap to make, and AFAIK don’t require special designs, molds, or anything. Probably the easiest part of the light to make. Just measure a shorter length of the same tube. It is proven that mfr’s don’t really know what people want, usually don’t even know what a good/bad design is, and sometimes don’t seem to be aware of options out there (or maybe a lack of creative thinking sometimes). People buying the 2x, it’s not their first Li-ion LED light; we are enthusiasts. Half-length cells have been around a long time and are here to stay, and serve a purpose. Actually 18350s are slightly longer than half-length, so such a tube should accommodate. If they think the demand isn’t there based on the M24 tube, my response would be they probably did a terrible job of marketing that shorty tube—many M24 owners don’t even seem to be aware of its existence, and I’ve only seen it for sale in one place.

In all honesty, for many/most hunters, it seems like a shorty tube with two 18350’s would be more desirable on a gun anyway. So much effort was already put into keeping the torch lightweight… and I know every bit of weight counts. If two full-sized 18650’s are not truly necessary (and I’d think that’d be rare), that’s kind of lame. Extra length of accessories can also cause problems (catch on brush, bump into things). Most hunters don’t do marathon hunting sessions killing tens or hundreds of rodent pests. A lot of hunters will also use a separate spotlight so they can keep the gun down; or a friend will spot, so the actual runtime on the rifle required may not be very high. At least in America, we’re taught to not point the gun in any direction we don’t intend to shoot, so a lot of hunters would not like the idea of pointing a gun around in all directions just to “find” a target. I know if I were taking a walk at night, or hunting, I wouldn’t want to be accidentally “spotted” by someone that way. Just the same way a responsible shooter wouldn’t point a scoped gun around if he just wanted to look at some scenery (or non-target) in the distance with a telescope or monocular, but only had the scope. Even in a backpack or on a walk, that extra length won’t make sense for a lot of people. Or to put it a different way, for many (most?), the shorter length would make more sense, and it’s quite do-able.

I personally usually have a floody light (usually a headlamp), and carry a handheld ‘throwy’ light for reaching out, which I usually keep off.

I’m not complaining, I want you to know; I’m raising a potentially important viewpoint. Even for the BLF A6 they made a shorty tube for a single 18350, which is great, and inexpensive. I’ve always (completely) avoided 2 x 18650 lights thus far because of the dramatically less-versatile shape/length. Plus I don’t like lithium cells in series if it’s not necessary, but in this case it is necessary.

The 2X is wired in parallel actually , as is the M24. The thing with a shorty tube on the 2X though for one it would be almost as wide as it was long , the 2X has a fairly large head at 68mm :smiley: I screwed my Convoy C8 tube into the head while ago , as it fits the threads and the weight is all out in front of your hand. it is really unbalanced and does not feel good at all.

The runtime would be pretty short also with a shorty tube , I am thinking maybe 30 mins? I mean I understand what you are saying , but the A6 and such lights are not as big as half the tube on the 2X and make much better choices for a short tube or even the regular tube for a pocketable light.

The M24 short tube has been mentioned in other threads but it never has seemed that the hunters , which are the biggest part of what buy these lights and what they are marketed towards, want the runtime from the 2 cell setup , so they are not having to carry extra cells and do a lot of swapping in the field.

These are not what I would call a “heavy” light even with 2 cells either. The M24 is around 270 grams ( 320 or so with cells) and the 2X around 315grams and about 400 with 2 cells. Some of the big throwers that are popular out there are weighing in at 500 grams and up.

brjones, am I missing something? To the best of my knowledge there are no 18340 cells. 16340, yes, but the 18mm diameter half cells are 18350. As such, they’re about 5+mm longer than a single cell when used in 2S. This would be enough difference to disallow the use of one 18650, which might be an issue for some.

I will make my own, one way or another I will almost assuredly have a much more compact arrangement going on with this light. I’m not a hunter. Long run times are not an issue to me in this regard. :wink:

I am also prone to set aside the factory driver and emitter and do some experimentation. :smiley:

Is this a typo? All along the talk has been of a buck driver and no need for hotrod cells. Calculations on current draw have been based on a series setup.

Sorry Dale, I meant 18350 (facepalm). Been out of the game awhile, rusty. Don’t know why they didn’t make them 18325’s, as that would’ve been half-length. But oh well. Post corrected. Yes, the longer tube length would be okay if it was understood to be a “shorty” tube (meant for 2 cells, just shorter cells), vs a “single tube”.

I don’t see why mfr’s can’t stay compatible with themselves. The tail switch is compatible, so why change the threading on the front end, when it’s so similar to the previous model. This conversation wouldn’t even be necessary. (Frustrating.)

So the Convoy C8 tube fits the 2x?? My gosh, I think I have one of those! (Not in my possession now, but could get it back.)
I’m not really concerned how it feels in my hand… resisting joke here.

By ‘heavy’, I meant the added weight an extra 18650 cell adds, since the light is so lightweight already.

I see I appear to be losing the argument. I guess I was speaking more out of my interest. 30min high runtime would be okay for me if I only need massive throw in short bursts. If the longer length means I’m less likely to use it/take it with me, the runtime don’t matter anyway. Kind of like, the best camera is the one you have on you.

Wha what, how is this wand-light parallel? We were just talking about a buck circuit. The geometry of this light makes no sense for it to be parallel. Can you provide more information on this? Parallel lights tend to be those short tree trunk lights like the Courui (that’s hard to spell) D01 and PALight Boss1. (Both of these were lights I looked at to see if they’d compare to the 2x stock/out of the box… They don’t.)

Maxtochs extremely popular with hunters in recent years. Designed by hunters for hunters, but their specs also makes them ideal general outdoor lights.

Key hunter requirements are the all-purpose beam with extreme throw plus beam width for scanning large areas quickly, and very light weight enabling it to be used as scope mountable light or as handheld. There are many occasions when shooting alone in designated safe hunting areas when we use the light scope mounted as the only carried spotlight.

No interest in short term runtime. Long runtime is a key factor as men do not wish to be changing batteries frequently during long night shoots. I think only 1-2 requests for single tubes from hunters over recent years so not something we’ve gone with. Lights are considered light weight enough as they are. If however there was a demand for single batt/shorter tube from general flashlight fans - and buyers numbers to support it - no doubt Maxtoch could make one.