gChart's Hand Made entry - 7th Annual BLF/OL Contest

WOW, :+1:
Sorry I’m late to see this one. Just finished catching up from the beginning. This build is amazing ” gchart ” :crown:
You have built everything from scratch. Your design and innovation are the best. I can only dream of attaining some of your electronic skills.
The color of your build is Beautiful. Competition in this category is very high.

Yup! I was originally thinking a carbon fiber sheet or another (dummy) PCB but Photonica proposed a window in post 9 and I thought that was a pretty slick idea. You’ll be able to clearly see the coil and the Qi circuit board. Then there will be the battery, and finally the other panel… So visibility to that side will be diminished unfortunately.

Thanks for the kind words! :smiley: It’s been a fun build do far. I enjoy doing as much from scratch as I can, especially trying out new things with the circuitry and using new/different/interesting electrical components and being able to show them off and explain their use as I learn about them as well.

Turning out great! Nice clean build, well organized and thought out design. Love the wireless charging. Brilliant!

I would be inclined to ask to some of your custom pcbs to build one of my own…its almost exactly like what I’d want.

Thanks, mr_magoo!

For the PCBs, I can either point you to the Oshpark link or pass off the Eagle files (pm me your email). Or if you have minor changes, I could probably do a few for ya. If you need completed PCBs, I could do that but might need to procure some more components.

Well… Almost to the finish line, but not without a little drama first. While doing final assembly and testing tonight (/this morning) I realized my PCB layout had a shortcoming - the Batt+ pad is too close to the brass body. POP! I shorted everything out and ruined my ICs. So, I had to take everything apart and replace the ICs, then flash firmware again. :weary:

To keep that from happening again, I cleaned up the existing Batt+ pad and covered it with kapton tape. I used the linear regulator’s VCC terminal as the new Batt+ hookup location. After some testing, all is back to order.

I now have everything assembled and drying/curing.

No breathing room!

All wrapped up.

I need to remember to never fly with this thing. Something tells me the TSA might have some questions.

Dont you hate magic smoke. Good to hear you could fix it. If it was mine it would have to go straight to the big bin in the sky.

this is a very cool, very small light, i like it, very clean design, and build.

Very impressive indeed. A really nice project. Don’t forget a nice little video if you can :wink:

It is finished!

That is very nice!!

Thanks Don!

PS - your entry is excellent! I love that it’s purpose-built and shows off some exotic woods.

That is so good. Well done on an amazing torch. :beer:

A classy light with classy solutions. Nice work!

Shes a Perla!!!

Very nice build!

Very elegant!

I saw this build in the general contest thread and thought it looks like some expensive limited edition. :open_mouth:

The design looks aesthetically appealing and balanced. The golden writing is the icing on the cake. :person_with_crown: With that, it could be the official flashlight of the contest. :wink:

An awesome high tech flashlight gchart! I enjoyed your video.

Well done on completing your build :THUMBS-UP:

The light looks great!