G'Day from Australia!

Welcome lionheart, you'll get used to seeing Racoon's google'd intro's after a short time here (I rather enjoy them). :o)

I don't have a specific brand of batteries to recommend but just keep in mind that you'll need ones with a raised top (e.g. non-flat top cells) to work with the Sky Ray King. Also: CW = Cool White and NW = Neutral White. Refers to the color temp of the LED's.

Cheers,
Tim

welcome to the budget light family :bigsmile:

Welcome to the BLF family, LionHeart!!

Great choice for your first serious venture into torches! Probably the best "budget" light you can buy, IMO. As others have stated, stick with Panasonic or Sanyo based batteries with the built-in protection circuits and get a decent quality charger. It's a lot of money initially but you can use the cells in so many other torches and they will last a good long time but, most of all, they will help keep you, your family and your home safe.

Stay away form ALL Ultrafire cells regardless of their stated output. There is also nothing at all wrong with TrustFire cells as long as they are original TrustFires and not some cheap clones. They are solid and durable cells and are an absolute bargain. Just make sure you do a little research before purchasing to make sure you are getting them from a reputable dealer that is known for shipping real TrustFire cells.

As for CW or NW, if you are just out for pure "WOW!" effect, CW is the way to go as the light produced appears to the eye as much brighter than NW emitters. Later, once you start getting more torches, you should get a NW torch and try it outdoors where you will see a marked difference in color rendition especially with foliage. If you find that it turns you into a "tint snob" you can buy only NW lights in the future or, like many other tint snobs, start modding and change out all the old CW emitters in your torch collection to NW emitters.

Johnny

Welcome to BLF! You'll love being here! :)

Welcome aboard mate.

Hello, and thanks for all that great information!

Edit: Nevermind, I got it, NW and CW, no probs!

The correct answer is that NW is superior :stuck_out_tongue: And no, I’m not a tint snob, I’m a tint connoisseur!

Welcome to another Aussie!

Prepare to travel down the well travelled path of flashlight addiction.

Very good choice to start with, although it is also going right to the deep end. After the King it’ll be hard for other lights to impress you.

For your next lights after that, look at Solarforce hosts. Drop ins you can shop around for. These are great lights and well priced.

Haha, thanks for all the welcomes guys!

I didn’t realise there’s so many people out there with the sick obsession for torches!

Look forward to getting my Sky Ray King, can’t find it in stock anywhere in NW though.

http://www.lightmalls.com/sky-ray-king-desert-yellow-4700k-natural-warm-color-light-3xt6-3xcree-xm-l-t6-2000lm-3-mode-led-flashlight-4x18650
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SKY-RAY-KING-4700K-Natural-Warm-Color-Light-3xT6-3xCree-XM-L-T6-2000LM-3-Mode/643101611.html

Don’t let any of us talk you into the NW version though. It really is a matter of personal preference.

YAY! Another fellow Aussie!

Welcome to this forum!

Personally I like Ultrafire Flashlights, my favorites are the C8, C12, and the HD2010. All great throwers.

Now I’ve seen the black 2500 lumen version I can’t even think about getting the gold one!! Black one I linked above is CW only, but that’s ok, I’m going to order it tomorrow probably.

It’s a good choice I think. Not only is it black (which I agree is better than gold), it should be the brightest of all the Kings, because it’s the only one with U2 bin emitters in it (which are brighter than T6).

Haha sweet, got my heart set on it now!!
Going to order heaps of stuff today, scuba fins, mask, batteries, charger, torch, about $500 worth of stuff there!!

LED: Cree XM-L U2 1B CW / CREE XM-L T6 3C NW

It seems only the CW (cool white) version has the U2 bin emitter, does this mean it’s brighter than the NW (that has the T6?)

Anyone? Keen to buy asap, would prefer NW (which they now have in stock) but if the CW is a better, brighter bin emitter, I might go with that.

Cool white should be brighter, but either puts out a lot of light.

The lower the color temp, the harder to get brighter in lumens term. So if you're looking for NW, you're only getting T6 bin max.

CW isn't bad at all. I own a CW King, and it still wows me even now after months of use.

If you're set on black color King, and it comes with U2, that's a load of lumens there, you're not going to regret that purchase.

Yes the black king come U2 only which are cool white only. And it is the brightest king available. I have a black U2 King and my brother has a gold T6 King. Both are awesome lights. I prefer the CW personally, but like others said tint is a personal taste thing. So if you prefer NW and don’t mind the gold color (which actually looks pretty good in person) get it. The slight lumen loss of the NW bin, at this power level, I doubt would be noticed. But any King is a great choice.