GE Cync Filament visible bulb

I saw this at homedepot by chance, it is a gorgeous bulb with multiple colors capable in the filament. I think it was on a demo mode. Came home search it up, believe this is it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Cync-60-Watt-EQ-ST19-Full-Spectrum-Dimmable-Smart-Edison-Bulb-Light-Bulb/5013313617 it is too expensive at $25 a bulb. Are there comparable alternatives?

its hard to describe and the picture doesn’t do it justice. Imagine the filament has multiple color changing or rotating, its quite impressive. There’s no online picture of it, I think it might be hard to take a good picture since its literally the light source with infinite contrast between 2mm of each led showing different color at once.

Is it just me? I don’t want any device web connected that does not actually need it.
Some server someplace watching darn near everything.
One day a (insert nation state of your choice) voice saying - Alexa - Turn off America.
Let me adjust my tin-foil hat.
All the Best
Jeff

1 Thank

I don’t own one yet, but I imagine there’s an app that you can control the color, speed of change, pattern, etc. I am not sure how you would do that if you don’t connect it to an app. And once you are connected via bluetooth or wifi, technically your tinfoil hat argument is on.

While I agree to some of your concern, however, that boat had sailed. We are in a connected world, have been, and always will be. For thousands of years, we are connected as a civilization by roads, foods we trade, monetary system, or simply all the things that make us a society. It is only recently we started to have electricity and the internet, but these are simply additional ways of us being connected. You can still make the extreme argument that one nation attack another by starve another nation by old ways such as food blockade, monetary blockade, resource blockade. Today, we do the same via critical resources blockade (food, fuel, trade, economy) and internet blockade. So at the end of the day, same trick different day. If you live on earth, you are stuck with the concept of “us” and “us” is being connected some how.

You might argue that, hey let’s not trust just this <insert company, people, country, technology of your choice>. While I wish it were that simple, I think you need to look at the utility you get out of it. Many (myself included) didn’t trusted using google searches or trusting with sharing information to these large techs. But I gave up after some time. Have you tried using browser that block literally everything? It becomes such a handicapped experience that you might as well not use the internet. So today, I trust some big brands but we should treat things fluidly, trust when you can, but review and reevaluate your trust everyday.

back on topic, if there’s a dumb device with remote for such a type of bulb (which there had been many other iterations of more rudimentary styles that I own several) I would definitely consider it. I don’t think controlling my bulb via alexa is useful, and I am very connected on many things on alexa today. I just don’t need a color changing bulb to be one of it. The UI for color needs to be visual, rather than vocal. I use on and off on many other devices and lights, but not to control a color capable bulb.