Give a little back, show your appreciation for a great member

I know a guy that has one… it’s not tabletop, but not excessively big. He bought it, cleaned it up and painted it, and has basically never done anything with it. I sent him an email…

This is a really good thing for a great guy.
I fully support Vestureofblood taking care of this for Justin.
Hopefully we can start the funds rolling and get Justin working on his wonders, once again.

Regards
Slow

I’m fine with it and appreciate your stepping up.

I trust VOB but if you look at the wishlist, it is a money collection site already.
If grizzly will let 200 people buy two $6.00 items from the wishlist, and
let the total be used for the lathe, then problem solved.
If they say Old Lumens has to accept 400 widgets, then problem not solved.

Exactly !!
The wishlist is already a collection site.

Thx Vestureofblood for stepping up, let us know when you are ready to start collecting, i’ll update the OP accordingly.

1.2k only costs the lathe?

because it's designed and made in China, that's why :thumbsdown:

VOB! :slight_smile:

no problem with VOB :slight_smile:

how about a commercial integrating sphere?? the smallest one would be the least expensive and fundable imho

i don't see why stop at $3000

Would a parting tool be a nice addition to the list?

I think Old-Lumens and Texas Lumens have already made a complete, finished list. Therefore, it is my opinion that if anyone else wants to add something that is not already on the list, that person should buy that item at their own expense and ship it directly to O-L! Either that, or start a new thread and ask for donations there. That way, this Give-Back stays as simple and straight-forward as it can be. If we just keep adding items to the list, we will never reach the end of it. :weary:

Not singling you out, richnpc. Your post was just convenient for replying to. :wink:

Yay for VOB! :face_with_monocle:

Thanks, VOB, for stepping up. You have my full support.

(And not to flog a dead horse, but we do need a human in this process, rather than just a wishlist, because we don’t know how much money will be raised. Neither over nor under work very well with a wishlist.)

VOB... THANK YOU!!! You have full support from me.

Dan.

I just had an interesting idea. So I will just share it, maybe it could be used somewhere, somehow.

If you want to keep it transparent, you could have the person receiving the funds, show the actual amount of money received... (thats a lot of work though)

but; Just by DATE and VALUE

like:

July 23

$5.33

$10.10

$9.96

July 24

$4.57

$20.01

Besides the extra workload for the person who receives the funds, there could be a benefit.... the way to differentiate the actual payments is by choosing a random number by the sender, like $5.12,$5.29 $5.11, $5.07 etc.. (not round numbers, like $5, $10)
So its still easy to see for the person who sent the donation whether he is actually on the list.

This way, no names have to be mentioned, because the sender of the donation can still see whether his donation is listed.

Possible Problem: many people outside the US can`t send "gifts" via paypal, and therefore the money (numbers) sent and received are different.

Maybe these "random" numbers could be helpful somewhere (in the future) to get away without using names, and still have some sort of transparency.

maybe....just maybe..

That is a great idea.

Let’s collect a lot of money and if there is enough extra to buy a mill, or other tools, we can ask justin what he would like to do.

We should not add anything else at the moment to the list. Let’s get this part accomplished and see where we stand.
My opinion here , submitted for discussion.

this is interesting.
let us know and tell justin and dan what it is

Well, turns out it’s a 12x35 turret lathe (US made), 3 jaw chuck, 5C collets. So should be able to handle a hyper mega mag mod. Unfortunately requires 220V or 440V. It does have a phase converter so it can run on single-phase.

Another friend of mine has a Grizzly mill/lathe, but I don’t think he wants to part with it. He has turned out some pretty amazing stuff on it, so those machines are not total crap. If the funds are available, I think a decent mill-lathe would be the way to go.